• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men Season 3 Discussion

highball

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Peggy seducing that guy last night would have had some impact for both her character and the show if she hadn't already screwed Campbell on her very first day. Since we already know she's a "girl like that" last night's subplot was a waste of screen time. In fact, the show went of the tracks on the very first episode with that out of character move by Peggy. Draper's back story doesn't help as it is as dull as **** and distracting as hell.

Agree. I really enjoy the show and most of the office scenes are great, but I can't help but feel that the character's back stories could have been better thought out.

Originally Posted by cadillac37
Draper looked quite good in the scene near the end at the school maypole thing. Nice subtle windowpane, and those were great sunglasses.

Indeed. Anyone able to ID those shades?

cadillac37

Reaction score
Originally Posted by highball
Agree. I really enjoy the show and most of the office scenes are great, but I can't help but feel that the character's back stories could have been better thought out.

Ray-Ban Caravan perhaps? I should pull it up on On Demand to check though...

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
was he stroking the grass as a means of connecting with her or thinking of an idea for the pepsi campaign?

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
was he stroking the grass as a means of connecting with her or thinking of an idea for the pepsi campaign?

I think he was all hornied-out.

Vince Lombardi's Ghost

Reaction score
Originally Posted by highball

I'm pretty sure those were military issue aviator sunglasses aka flight goggle 58. They had the classic bayonet temples. I think this fits with his former military persona.

randolph-aviator-sunglasses.jpg

http://www.randolphusastore.com/aviator.html

FiveFiveFive

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
I think she's figuring out what sex appeal is all about. But it was funny - a very candid moment.

I don't think it was intended to be a humorous scene. Considering the series is about people looking to fit in -- and ultimately failing to do so -- that scene pretty much summed up Peggy's predicament. She'd attempted to change Sterling/Cooper's approach toward advertising to women, but was cruelly shut down by the likes of Harry, Ken, and, most important, Don ("you're not an artist, you're a problem solver").

Singing "Bye, Bye Birdie" (Bird-hee?) -- an ad idea she'd be adamantly against -- in the mirror was really her conceding defeat.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
but this is absolutely true, man or woman. i was a copywriter and that's what it's about

Originally Posted by FiveFiveFive
I don't think it was intended to be a humorous scene. Considering the series is about people looking to fit in -- and ultimately failing to do so -- that scene pretty much summed up Peggy's predicament. She'd attempted to change Sterling/Cooper's approach toward advertising to women, but was cruelly shut down by the likes of Harry, Ken, and, most important, Don ("you're not an artist, you're a problem solver").

Singing "Bye, Bye Birdie" (Bird-hee?) -- an ad idea she'd be adamantly against -- in the mirror was really her conceding defeat.

FiveFiveFive

Reaction score
but this is absolutely true, man or woman. i was a copywriter and that's what it's about

Kinsey had the same problem, letting his personal beliefs about Penn Station get in the way of business. Mad Men's always showing how different characters handle similar problems.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I liked how he talked to his brother in law
Yeah, it was definitely fun to watch him squash Betty's mealy-mouthed brother. From a character standpoint, I always find Don's displays of ethics fascinating. He has a very firm sense of honor and decorum (remember him taking the other man's hat off in the elevator?), and yet he has made profound moral lapses. Both elements are plausibly written and acted, so that although he combines in his person seemingly irreconcilable attributes we must accept them as belonging to one and the same man.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I'd say Peggy's singing, combined with her conversation with Joan and picking up the guy later, all play into the split view of how she sees herself. She wants to be a tough career woman but she also wants the guys to see her as sexy. She's torn between the two and resentful that they are all lusting after Ann-Margaret in the movie and women like Joan in real life.

As for Don, I loved the way he handled his brother-in-law and I really thought his look during the May Day scene was a combination of lust and also a thought about how the Patio ad should look. Wasn't there a soft-drink ad from that era that had a scene much like that one.

And of course, the fact that Don is the only one who can see that Madison Square Garden would be a great account while the Brits can't see past short-term profits...

Lone Wolf

Reaction score

I think both. Plus the teacher's aesthetic and carefree ways echoed Ann Margaret in the Bye Bye Birdy clip. More than that, it echoed Don's point to the Madison Square Garden guy about welcoming change with a dance of joy. Don seemed to be watching her bare feet on the grass, so when he set down his cup and touched the grass I thought he was trying to be connected, and being a good ad man he looks for inspiration wherever he can find it (recall in the series premiere when he was asking a waiter or elevator operator, I forget which, why he smoked the brand he did when he was working on a cigarette campaign).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads