1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mad Men Season 3 Discussion

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Flambeur, Aug 16, 2009.

1. highball

highball Senior member

Peggy seducing that guy last night would have had some impact for both her character and the show if she hadn't already screwed Campbell on her very first day. Since we already know she's a "girl like that" last night's subplot was a waste of screen time. In fact, the show went of the tracks on the very first episode with that out of character move by Peggy. Draper's back story doesn't help as it is as dull as shit and distracting as hell.

Agree. I really enjoy the show and most of the office scenes are great, but I can't help but feel that the character's back stories could have been better thought out.

Draper looked quite good in the scene near the end at the school maypole thing. Nice subtle windowpane, and those were great sunglasses.

Indeed. Anyone able to ID those shades?

2. cadillac37

cadillac37 Senior member

Agree. I really enjoy the show and most of the office scenes are great, but I can't help but feel that the character's back stories could have been better thought out.

Ray-Ban Caravan perhaps? I should pull it up on On Demand to check though...

3. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

was he stroking the grass as a means of connecting with her or thinking of an idea for the pepsi campaign?

4. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

was he stroking the grass as a means of connecting with her or thinking of an idea for the pepsi campaign?

I think he was all hornied-out.

5. Vince Lombardi's Ghost

Vince Lombardi's Ghost Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure those were military issue aviator sunglasses aka flight goggle 58. They had the classic bayonet temples. I think this fits with his former military persona.

[​IMG]

http://www.randolphusastore.com/aviator.html

6. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

I'm pretty sure those were military issue aviator sunglasses aka flight goggle 58. They had the classic bayonet temples. I think this fits with his former military persona.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I've been looking for these!!!

7. cadillac37

cadillac37 Senior member

[​IMG]

Good call.

8. FiveFiveFive

FiveFiveFive Senior member

I think she's figuring out what sex appeal is all about. But it was funny - a very candid moment.

I don't think it was intended to be a humorous scene. Considering the series is about people looking to fit in -- and ultimately failing to do so -- that scene pretty much summed up Peggy's predicament. She'd attempted to change Sterling/Cooper's approach toward advertising to women, but was cruelly shut down by the likes of Harry, Ken, and, most important, Don ("you're not an artist, you're a problem solver").

Singing "Bye, Bye Birdie" (Bird-hee?) -- an ad idea she'd be adamantly against -- in the mirror was really her conceding defeat.

9. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

but this is absolutely true, man or woman. i was a copywriter and that's what it's about

I don't think it was intended to be a humorous scene. Considering the series is about people looking to fit in -- and ultimately failing to do so -- that scene pretty much summed up Peggy's predicament. She'd attempted to change Sterling/Cooper's approach toward advertising to women, but was cruelly shut down by the likes of Harry, Ken, and, most important, Don ("you're not an artist, you're a problem solver").

Singing "Bye, Bye Birdie" (Bird-hee?) -- an ad idea she'd be adamantly against -- in the mirror was really her conceding defeat.

10. FiveFiveFive

but this is absolutely true, man or woman. i was a copywriter and that's what it's about

Kinsey had the same problem, letting his personal beliefs about Penn Station get in the way of business. Mad Men's always showing how different characters handle similar problems.

11. King Francis

King Francis Senior member

I liked how he talked to his brother in law
    Yeah, it was definitely fun to watch him squash Betty's mealy-mouthed brother. From a character standpoint, I always find Don's displays of ethics fascinating. He has a very firm sense of honor and decorum (remember him taking the other man's hat off in the elevator?), and yet he has made profound moral lapses. Both elements are plausibly written and acted, so that although he combines in his person seemingly irreconcilable attributes we must accept them as belonging to one and the same man.

12. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

I'd say Peggy's singing, combined with her conversation with Joan and picking up the guy later, all play into the split view of how she sees herself. She wants to be a tough career woman but she also wants the guys to see her as sexy. She's torn between the two and resentful that they are all lusting after Ann-Margaret in the movie and women like Joan in real life.

As for Don, I loved the way he handled his brother-in-law and I really thought his look during the May Day scene was a combination of lust and also a thought about how the Patio ad should look. Wasn't there a soft-drink ad from that era that had a scene much like that one.

And of course, the fact that Don is the only one who can see that Madison Square Garden would be a great account while the Brits can't see past short-term profits...

13. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Senior member

I think both. Plus the teacher's aesthetic and carefree ways echoed Ann Margaret in the Bye Bye Birdy clip. More than that, it echoed Don's point to the Madison Square Garden guy about welcoming change with a dance of joy. Don seemed to be watching her bare feet on the grass, so when he set down his cup and touched the grass I thought he was trying to be connected, and being a good ad man he looks for inspiration wherever he can find it (recall in the series premiere when he was asking a waiter or elevator operator, I forget which, why he smoked the brand he did when he was working on a cigarette campaign).

14. FiveFiveFive

it echoed Don's point to the Madison Square Garden guy about welcoming change with a dance of joy.

Bingo.

15. cbusguy

cbusguy Senior member

anyone know of a good stream for episode 2?

16. Jokerman

Jokerman Senior member

American Optical which is pretty much the same as RE except no logo on the lens.

17. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

18. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Don alpha male'd the senile father-in-law situation big time. Looks like he's already regretting it, however.

I dont think Don cares about the father at all. He just wants Betty to be happy. He cant reason with her because he pregnant and emotional, so he's just pulling strings behind her back. My only guess is that if he forces the father into his house, Betty will get tired of him soon enough, then have him moved into a home; a decision she will be happy about after she is the one calling that shot. I just cant imagine Don wanting that old man to live with them. We will see.

19. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Senior member

I dont think Don cares about the father at all. He just wants Betty to be happy. He cant reason with her because he pregnant and emotional, so he's just pulling strings behind her back. My only guess is that if he forces the father into his house, Betty will get tired of him soon enough, then have him moved into a home; a decision she will be happy about after she is the one calling that shot. I just cant imagine Don wanting that old man to live with them. We will see.

Agreed. I don't think he wants the old man around at all (especially when he's pouring Don's good booze down the sink). I did like the way Don ran over Betty's brother, however, and his decision is going to force her to face reality.

As for Betty, she seems to be moving from being emotionally distant towards their kids to outright resenting them. Between her state of mind and her constant smoking and drinking, things don't look good for the unborn kid.

20. Albern

Albern Senior member

Second star to the right and straight on 'til morn
    BTW is it clear as to whether the baby that Betty is carrying is Don's? Is there even the slightest possibility that it could be the guy Betty hooked up with while in Manhattan?