• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men: Final Season

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have heard great things about Deadwood. Will try it out! And anyone seen Mr. Robot? Is it on this level?

I have nearly come to blows with people over arguments over whether Mad Men or Breaking Bad was better. Most of these people were those who had only seen Breaking Bad. I know they are apples and oranges (blah, blah, blah). I just think Mad Men is objectively smarter, and therefore more rewarding of a watch for me. Breaking Bad is a great popcorn show and definitely more accessible to a wider audience.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Deadwood is my favorite series of all time.

I'm a bit an HBO snob, but decided to give Mad Men a chance thanks to Netfilx. Really enjoyed it. Much more than I expected. Only problem is they don't have have the second half of the last season up yet.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been rewatching parts (GF is watching it...sometimes she watches them without me).

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nah, it's good.
Its not. Pretty show but the same story was told four times. Probably 60% of episodes ended with a slow zoom out of don. I think it was season two where three episodes back to back were don collapsing outside a door while the camera slowly moves back.

The attention to detail was phenomenal. Acting was great. But it was a pretty uninspired story overall. Dons big arc is that.....he created an ad. Ok.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its not. Pretty show but the same story was told four times. Probably 60% of episodes ended with a slow zoom out of don. I think it was season two where three episodes back to back were don collapsing outside a door while the camera slowly moves back.

The attention to detail was phenomenal. Acting was great. But it was a pretty uninspired story overall. Dons big arc is that.....he created an ad. Ok.

Whatchoo mean?

I'll admit, Don's story arc was limited in the end, but everyone else changed a lot!

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LOL! You completely missed the point of the whole show if that's what you think. That last ad was the most significant development in the show which followed him from being a great ad man to a crappy one in the face of new, younger competition only to come back to create the best commercial in the history and what it took for him to get there. Did you even watch the last couple of seasons?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Agreed. If the slow and painful stripping away of every aspect of his life that formerly had meaning conveyed nothing to you then you've missed a lot.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Agreed. If the slow and painful stripping away of every aspect of his life that formerly had meaning conveyed nothing to you then you've missed a lot.
But nothing really had meaning for don and anyway peggy and joan were far more compelling characters. But yes the way so many shots were used the same way multiple times each season it became cliche and uninspired.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
But nothing really had meaning for don and anyway peggy and joan were far more compelling characters. But yes the way so many shots were used the same way multiple times each season it became cliche and uninspired.

Nope. Don had carefully constructed and built his life. It was the slow deconstruction that made his arc so compelling. Peggy was a great character but I really didn't care for Joan in the least. Peter was another great character just not a sympathetic one.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nope. Don had carefully constructed and built his life. It was the slow deconstruction that made his arc so compelling. Peggy was a great character but I really didn't care for Joan in the least. Peter was another great character just not a sympathetic one.
I was a bit over the top when i said it sucked and if you like it fine it wasnt unentertaining. I do not think its as good as people want to say it is (lefty takes a far more dismal view is the show than i do so its not a unique opinion).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads