Mad Men: Final Season

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Mar 29, 2014.

1. otc

otc Senior member

My guess is that the offer from the other firm was not bad...Rodger's line about them trying awfully hard to make it look like its not a demotion makes me think the money was more than good in order to make up for the loss in seniority.

Don seems to be in the "fixing things" mood--and I suppose he likes his creative team--but it does seem strange that he wants to jump back in with that firm. Is it because he knows that they are ok with his past? Would some other firm take a closer look at his history and care about his lies or would they let his solid work history make up for his shaky pre-advertising history.

Lou is still an insufferable asshole.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Lou is obviously being set up as the guy we love to hate. I'm sure he'll get some justice and we'll all feel satisfied. It will probably be at Don's hands and I bet it will be over Peggy...who falls back in love with Don due to this.

In fact I can see Don dropping Megan and hooking up with Peggy and them starting their own agency as an ending.

Edit: apparently the movie Don was watching at the open is about an unemployed guy and his deteriorating relationship with his wanna-be actress girlfriend. Nice one, Weiner.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014

3. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

He doesn't have anything else. He is done with Meghan. He only sees his kids occasionally. And joining another firm might mean losing his partnership share (which sounds like it is worth a lot of money).

Also, Betty is the ultimate ice queen. Not sure if she was asking her husband if she was a good mother because she really didn't know why the kids hated her or because she doesn't understand why she is so cold to them.

4. upthewazzu

upthewazzu Senior member

Pride, ego, gamesmanship. He doesn't know anything else, so going back to SCDP is the only way he can be an alpha again.

5. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

As a partner she wasn't kept in the loop of his return. I'd be annoyed too. Not to mention the company was chugging along fine without him.

6. otc

otc Senior member

Although I enjoyed how even Cutler was only willing to say that Lou was "adequate"

Although he seems to be of the opinion that they don't need more than adequate creative since demographics and media are going to be more important (or at least consistent since generating reports is procedural vs waiting for creatives to come up with ideas). This may be him realizing an opportunity to buy Harry's loyalty the same way he got Joan's--noticing that everyone else has been ignoring him and that he actually plays a pretty key and growing role in the company.

7. Stugotes

Stugotes Senior member

I agree with those who say this was the season's best episode yet. Seeing Don regaining the confidence in his work/himself again and separating from his annoying wife was great.

I expect him to kick Lou's and Cutler's asses (metaphorically) and take back his old office soon enough.

8. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

i think its worse with Betty. She knows she's a child, has had cathartic moments even dabbled in trying to deal with her issues but still can't shake it - she's maybe one of the only main characters in Mad Men that hasn't really changed.

it took some research to realize that Don didn't blow off his "real first wife's" niece from california. it was a different girl who just looked like her.

9. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

total ass. he should marry betty and they can be a power couple of total toolbag assholes.

loved that scene.

until the last 20 minutes of this episode i was afraid the whole season was going to be nothing but a boring prologue to next season. i was pleasantly surprised that that might not be the case.

that was excellent. i want to see more of roger being that kind of roger.

yeah, i did not like that at all.

i think he really wants to give being successful as a decent person a shot. when he said that bit of saying the truth to the wrong people at the wrong time, it really made it seem like he wants to give it a go at being decent, he is just so out of practice that he does not know how to do it, and this is a good way to kind of force him to learn and be a little bit subservient and less self serving.

basically him admitting that even he knew they needed real creative.

---

when peggy told don he wasnt missed i was hoping someone would fly on screen and bitch slap her right out a window.

10. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

Joan has some issues with Don in regards to how he reacted to her whoring herself to jaguar.

11. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

I got a slight Shield finale vibe when the partners were reading the terms for Don's return to the agency. But whereas Vic Mackey obviously hated the I.C.E., Don seemed a lot more willing with whatever SCDP offered him regardless of the harsh stipulations

Great ep

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014

12. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Are they going to add the D back into the company name? I noticed they had removed it...

13. velobran

velobran Senior member

I thought it was removed when they merged with the other firm - Don said he didn't care if his name was on the door, probably just to show how alpha he was.

14. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

that is my recollection as well.

15. upthewazzu

upthewazzu Senior member

The "P in the new SC&P stands for "Partners", correct?