Mad Men: Final Season

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Mar 29, 2014.

1. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

their first confrontation when cutler said:

"You know, Ted and I, whenever we would hear that your agency was involved, we would always be so intimidated “What was that man up to?" Such a cloud of mystery. Now that I've been backstage, I'm deeply unimpressed. You're just a bully and a drunk. A football player in a suit. The most eloquent I've ever heard you was when you were blubbering like a little girl about your impoverished childhood."

then he calls him out and outright dares don to physically attack him.

- of course don is smarter, and changed therefore wiser to engage - but he got called out so badly it was a basic debasement that he must have had to collect himself afterwards.

don ultimately "wins" in the end, but the 2nd encounter (one of the main gun fights) he relies on cooper, sterling, and campbell's loyalty to win. when cooper dies, he's basically a dead man walking, but it was sterling who came to the rescue.

Last edited: May 29, 2014

2. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

[​IMG]

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Hmmm, not quite how I interpreted all that but I can see where you're coming from. I just figured Don, the new Don as you pointed out, called the impromptu meeting of the partners and beat him at his own game. In fact Don said something about "parliamentary procedures" to drive it home.

4. FunLovinStyle

FunLovinStyle Senior member

Do we know anything about Don's educational background?

Last edited: May 30, 2014

5. chogall

chogall Senior member

Grew up at a barn as a son of a whore, my guess is high school at most and military training. At least literate but def not Ivy League.

6. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

He did not finish high school, I'm pretty sure. I think I remember his musing on how lazy he was about writing reports and such while he was writing in his journal a couple seasons back.

7. Piobaire

As Whitman he dropped out of high school and later joined the army and fought in the Korean War. As Draper he was taking night classes at City College when he scammed Roger into thinking he had hired Don the night before while they were drinking.

8. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Does anyone feel sort of hopeful for the characters going forward (at least Don and Peggy?) I forget where I read it but it seems like there might be a graceful future for people if not necessarily a good one. I don't know, I'd like to see that happen for everyone except Harry.

Also, did anyone else laugh at how quickly Cutler changed his tune and his tone there at the end? "Well... it is a lot of money."

9. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

So did Ken permanently lose vision in his eye?

10. Piobaire

What eye?

11. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Something I just realized was very heartbreaking... Bob Benson telling Joan "I'm just being realistic." Ugh. I don't what's worse that or Joan still wants/things she can find love. (I saw the last two eps back-to-back on Saturday, hence why I may be going back and forth.)

12. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

I never thought to look up the actor who plays Lou but I saw him while catching up on Louie last night. I had no idea he's a comedian IRL.

13. SmellBlind

SmellBlind Active Member

14. BillP

BillP Well-Known Member

15. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

What he said was pretty fucked up and obnoxious. Like she was supposed to be excited to settle with a gay dude because she can't find a man. If she was interested in just shacking with anyone I think she could land a richer, straight guy. However, there'd probably be no "agreement".