Mad Men: Final Season

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Mar 29, 2014.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

good question. ftr, i like harry and hope he gets made partner.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Harry is probably the biggest douche bag there. There's a reason Joan hates him so badly.

3. in stitches

eh. i think he is an alright guy. and hes not seen much. he does his TV thing, seems to do it well. good for him.

joan is an utter witch right now, worse than betty, so her hating someone means pretty much nada to me.

4. Piobaire

Let's see what the guy playing him thinks:

http://www.vulture.com/2010/10/rich_sommer_mad_men_harry_cran.html

He used to say Harry's not a douchebag but now even he realizes Harry is indeed a douche.

5. otc

otc Senior member

How do these deals usually resolve? I would assume that Harry is out the door as far as partnership goes, but now that they will be structured as a subsidiary company with Roger as president...what does that even mean anymore?

My guess would be that Harry doesn't get the payout for being a partner at the time of the acquisition but that his pay going forward will be commensurate with what the other partners were making.

6. in stitches

lawlz. what can i say, he has never bothered me. maybe im a douche so i empathize.

7. velobran

velobran Senior member

When he walked into the meeting, Roger said "he didn't sign, he missed the boat", so I'm guessing he's out.

8. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

9. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

Joan, as much as she's coming off as a bitch, is pretty justified in how she views Don considering he cost her MILLIONS and his return is again a threat to her future.

Single mom, small apartment... this is her one shot to make the big bucks, even if she fucked her way there, and Don blocking the IPO put a huge dent in her purse. I wouldn't expect her to forgive that very easily. I'd hate the hell out of someone who cost me that much money.

10. in stitches

that is a fair point, but she is still a witch lately.

11. Piobaire

Don and Joan had a relationship based on trust and mutual respect. It was non-sexual and one of reciprocated, genuine fondness. It was a relationship that was atypical for both of them to have with the opposite sex so it made it that much more stand out. I can see the character arc of Joan being so pissed over Don creating the merger vs. letting the buy out happen but there is an alternate, and even more reasonable character arc, where Joan does not act like a total bitch to him forever. I thought I saw her already changing her tune now that Roger put this deal together and Don made the pitch to Ted that sealed the deal. I will barf if Joan now acts like Don's friend again.

12. grundletaint

A witch with big ol TITTIES! I'd stake them shits like I was the mayor of Salem.

13. chogall

chogall Senior member

Cost the IPO? Her partnership stake is still intact with or without the IPO and she could always ask for a buyout if she's that desperate for a payout day.

14. grundletaint

Well....beg for buyout, get money, need new job OR make a shitload instantly off IPO and stay and keep making money in the position for which you sold your dignity? Hmmmm.......

Last edited: May 27, 2014

15. otc

otc Senior member

So he delayed her payout for what...a year or two?

Isn't she already being compensated well? She hasn't had much time to do the earning, but the other partners all seem to support pretty dang fancy lives on their salaries (and she didn't have to buy in to the business up front at the founding of SCDP)