1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Macophants - The new Macbook Air: you getting one?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rambo, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Matt

Matt Senior member

the weight difference is less than 200 grams, and since it has a smaller power adapter, less than that....and if that's an issue, then why is the MBP even a consideration for you?

2. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

well then, allow me to save you like five hundred bucks.

Go buy the Dell Vostro v13 for four hundred bucks with Ubuntu on it. Mac theme Ubuntu to your heart's content. Prosper.

hmmm... on the one hand the laptop looks lame, on the other hand, "Ubuntu" sounds cool and is fun to say..... [​IMG]

3. aleksandr

aleksandr Senior member

couple of questions.

Why don't you use the ipad for typing? Does it suck?

Two words. Track changes.

Also, you could get rid of the 15" MBP and get the 13" instead. Much more manageable size.

True, but choosing between the 13" MBP and the 13" MBA, I'd much rather go with the MBA.

4. Matt

Matt Senior member

hmmm... on the one hand the laptop looks lame, on the other hand, "Ubuntu" sounds cool and is fun to say..... [​IMG]

it's actually a pretty sexy looking thing. Played with my friend's the other day and had laptop envy.

5. Brosef

Brosef Senior member

the weight difference is less than 200 grams, and since it has a smaller power adapter, less than that....and if that's an issue, then why is the MBP even a consideration for you?

In the case that the Air gets indeed slow when it starts heating a bit

6. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

it's actually a pretty sexy looking thing
    Impossible. It doesn't have a glowing Apple on the lid to let everyone know how "creative and unique" you are. It just says "Dell" which lets everyone know how "cheap" you are. Maybe we could make some stick on glow in the dark Apple decals, so that you can cover up that unsightly Dell logo. Then it might be sexy looking.

7. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

Yeah the new MBA is a dog. I regret having ordered one. I wish there were other 2", 10 lb desktop replacements that I'd never actually have with me to consider. Gawd...I want to pwn Crysis benchmarks so bad. [​IMG]

8. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...
    Yeah the new MBA is a dog. I regret having ordered one. I wish there were other 2", 10 lb desktop replacements that I'd never actually have with me to consider. Gawd...I want to pwn Crysis benchmarks so bad. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Fucking dumbass benchmark tests. When are you ever going to sequentially launch 15 apps?

10. bkk

bkk Senior member

Its not meant to run a dozen applications at a time. It will definitely stutter and the experience will be less than optimal. Get an Air if you mostly surf the web, write emails, and play music. If you use power hungry applications, this is not for you. End of story.

11. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

Fucking dumbass benchmark tests. When are you ever going to sequentially launch 15 apps?

Its not meant to run a dozen applications at a time. It will definitely stutter and the experience will be less than optimal. Get an Air if you mostly surf the web, write emails, and play music. If you use power hungry applications, this is not for you. End of story.

[​IMG]

12. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

[​IMG]
    What? It has no basis in reality. Photoshop, gaming, startup times, etc. I understand. These are useful.

14. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

well then, allow me to save you like five hundred bucks.

Go buy the Dell Vostro v13 for four hundred bucks with Ubuntu on it. Mac theme Ubuntu to your heart's content. Prosper.

Unfortunately, battery life on this one is about 2.5 hours of normal use.

But yeah, buying a cheap ultraportable PC and turning it into a hackintosh is the best bet for a thrifty college student.

$10 says this one buys the MBA, though.

15. Brosef

Brosef Senior member

Unfortunately, battery life on this one is about 2.5 hours of normal use.

But yeah, buying a cheap ultraportable PC and turning it into a hackintosh is the best bet for a thrifty college student.

$10 says this one buys the MBA, though.

That's probable. Also, I never said money was a factor...

16. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

17. Brosef

Brosef Senior member

Cool story, Brosef.

Come at me bro.

18. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Does anyone want to hazard a guess as to why those MBA's had the lowest times for opening 15 programs sequentially on that benchmark above? [​IMG]

Hint: It has little to do with the processing power and everything to do with a part that is easily installed by any user on nearly any notebook (or desktop for that matter).

19. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

Does anyone want to hazard a guess as to why those MBA's had the lowest times for opening 15 programs sequentially on that benchmark above? [​IMG]

Hint: It has little to do with the processing power and everything to do with a part that is easily installed by any user on nearly any notebook (or desktop for that matter).

I was just listed one of the benchmarks from Anandtech. The new MBA does well in all benchmarks though.

20. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I was just listed one of the benchmarks from Anandtech. The new MBA does well in all benchmarks though.
    I wasn't saying it was slow. I was just commenting on the stupidity of that particular benchmark. Plus, almost anything with an SSD and flash memory will be lightning quick at opening programs.