• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Macophants - The new Macbook Air: you getting one?

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
******* dumbass benchmark tests. When are you ever going to sequentially launch 15 apps?

Originally Posted by bkk
Its not meant to run a dozen applications at a time. It will definitely stutter and the experience will be less than optimal. Get an Air if you mostly surf the web, write emails, and play music. If you use power hungry applications, this is not for you. End of story.

facepalm.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
597207F4.jpg

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
well then, allow me to save you like five hundred bucks.

Go buy the Dell Vostro v13 for four hundred bucks with Ubuntu on it. Mac theme Ubuntu to your heart's content. Prosper.

Unfortunately, battery life on this one is about 2.5 hours of normal use.

But yeah, buying a cheap ultraportable PC and turning it into a hackintosh is the best bet for a thrifty college student.

$10 says this one buys the MBA, though.

Brosef

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Unfortunately, battery life on this one is about 2.5 hours of normal use.

But yeah, buying a cheap ultraportable PC and turning it into a hackintosh is the best bet for a thrifty college student.

$10 says this one buys the MBA, though.

That's probable. Also, I never said money was a factor...

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone want to hazard a guess as to why those MBA's had the lowest times for opening 15 programs sequentially on that benchmark above?
smile.gif

Hint: It has little to do with the processing power and everything to do with a part that is easily installed by any user on nearly any notebook (or desktop for that matter).

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
Does anyone want to hazard a guess as to why those MBA's had the lowest times for opening 15 programs sequentially on that benchmark above?
smile.gif

Hint: It has little to do with the processing power and everything to do with a part that is easily installed by any user on nearly any notebook (or desktop for that matter).

I was just listed one of the benchmarks from Anandtech. The new MBA does well in all benchmarks though.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
I was just listed one of the benchmarks from Anandtech. The new MBA does well in all benchmarks though.
I wasn't saying it was slow. I was just commenting on the stupidity of that particular benchmark. Plus, almost anything with an SSD and flash memory will be lightning quick at opening programs.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I wasn't saying it was slow. I was just commenting on the stupidity of that particular benchmark. Plus, almost anything with an SSD and flash memory will be lightning quick at opening programs.

Ding ding.

osgood

Reaction score
My Air just left Shanghai. I am glad the chinese apparently work weekends. And I'm glad that the time zones will help bring my air home faster
teacha.gif

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In other news, why do Macs not have HDMI ports on their lap tops? Does Apple have a dog in that fight or will they just wait five more years, release a new version that has what every product on the market has and call it revolutionary?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
In other news, why do Macs not have HDMI ports on their lap tops? Does Apple have a dog in that fight or will they just wait five more years, release a new version that has what every product on the market has and call it revolutionary?
Why would they use a standardized interface protocol? This is Apple we're talking about here. It would also cost them $10,000 a year to license HDMI so that they could put it into their computers. Gotta pinch those pennies!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads