• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mackintosh raincoats - bonded cotton vs nylon?

Ennius

Reaction score
Hi Gents,

Any thoughts on getting the bonded cotton vs nylon Macktintosh rain coat? likely the Dunoon.

I am most interest in which is less of a sweatbox and style. My guess is the bonded cotton is a better less wrinkled fabric.

Thanks

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Gents,

Any thoughts on getting the bonded cotton vs nylon Macktintosh rain coat? likely the Dunoon.

I am most interest in which is less of a sweatbox and style. My guess is the bonded cotton is a better less wrinkled fabric.

Thanks

If you're going to get a Mackintosh, get the real deal. Bonded cotton.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would go for the bonded cotton, but just know that it doesn't breathe very well. If you're on the East Coast, it's not something you would wear during summer rains or in a crowded subway car. The cotton is basically impermeable, so it traps heat and sweat.

That said, I love how it drapes and moves. It just has a nice, unique feel.

I would also look into the longer models, such as the Dunkeld. The Dunoon looks too short, IMO.

Last edited:

Ennius

Reaction score
Hi,

What do you gents wear in the rain for East Coast Summers (I am in NYC)? I also tend to sweat heavily so am quite interest in breathable rainwear.

Is nylon any less a walking sauna in the warm weather than bonded cotton?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Gore-Tex is breathable. It keeps water out, but there's a breathable membrane inside that allows heat (and moisture) to escape.

There are actually really great technical fabrics that are even more breathable than Gore-Tex (like eVent), but I don't know any fashion companies that use them. They're more for technical/ outdoor outerwear brands. This shows the effect well.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Surprised nobody uses those eVent (or eVent-like) fabrics for a more fashionable garment. It would probably be overkill for a place like San Francisco, but I can see how it would be useful on the East Coast.

I like and wear Gore-Tex, but the breathability is limited by the outermost layer. So the middle layer is a stretched Teflon membrane that keeps water out, but allows air molecules to escape. However, they then just hit whatever PU fabric is on the outside.

It's more breathable than bonded cotton, but eVent seems so much better. Surprised Arc'teryx Veilance or Nigel Cabourn haven't picked it up.

To the OP, you might also want to look into Ventile. The fabric closes up once it gets wet (that's how it prevents water from getting in), but it's probably more breathable than bonded cotton. I think it might drape better for a raincoat than Gore-Tex as well, which is kind of stiff/ technical feeling. Ventile is fairly soft and would drape like a nylon blend.

Last edited:

emptym

Reaction score
+1. eVent sounds promising, but I've never tried it. Polartec has a new thing called NeoShell that's supposed to be very breathable too. I've owned Gore-Tex stuff for about 25 yrs and it's great stuff if you're going to be out in hard rain for long periods. Sympatex is good too. The problem with Gore-Tex, and I would guess any fabric that needs to have the seams taped, is that the seam tape degrades, rendering the garment permeable.

That's why i went w/ a Ventile coat when I wanted a raincoat a couple years ago. Figured it would age well. Haven't had much chance to use it though. If you want one of those, Luxire, which made mine, is a good bet. They've also recently establised a relationship with Schoeller and soon will be offering seam-taped waterproof garments, if they haven't already.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The problem with Gore-Tex, and I would guess any fabric that needs to have the seams taped, is that the seam tape degrades, rendering the garment permeable.

True, although I've heard it takes years and years, if not maybe decades. Once that happens, you can also just tape up the seams yourself at home. I think they sell kits at outdoor stores.

The production process for Gore-Tex isn't very environmentally friendly though, which might be a concern for some people

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/oct/11/outdoor-clothing-ethical-living

emptym

Reaction score
Interesting points. Any links to DIY taping? I thought it was really hard and required special machinery. Couldn't find much from a quick google search.

I have two that degraded: One a LL Bean 2 layer anorak bought in 92 with failed tape by 2002 (Maybe they'd fix it.) and the other a pre-Prada Belstaff motorcycle jacket bought in 2002 that failed in 2008. Actually, the Belstaff probably wasn't real GoreTex. Both had a lot of use before they failed.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Interesting points.  Any links to DIY taping?  I thought it was really hard and required special machinery.  Couldn't find much from a quick google search.

I have two that degraded: One a LL Bean 2 layer anorak bought in 92 with failed tape by 2002 (Maybe they'd fix it.) and the other a pre-Prada Belstaff motorcycle jacket bought in 2002 that failed in 2008.  Actually, the Belstaff probably wasn't real GoreTex.  Both had a lot of use before they failed.

AFAIK, at Mackintosh, they just glue the seam tape down and essentially press it in with a hand roller.

I've never done it before, but you can find DIY info online. One link I found through a quick Google search:

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/qna/qna.asp?uqn=528&P=28&SP=&V=7

IIRC, @robin did it to a Nigel Cabourn jacket that was leaking through the hood.

Edit: looks like one of Robin's last posts was on breathable waxed jackets. Maybe useful for the OP, although that's more for casual clothing.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/209255/nigel-cabourn/4680_20#post_7365114

Last edited:

Ennius

Reaction score
Thanks for a very interesting discussion.

I have been looking into Ventile cloth as some folks have highlighted. Private White VC makes some beautiful stuff.

Its a shame Event hasnt been used (yet) in good mens' stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads