• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Machine washing sweaters

captainmo

Reaction score
I have a couple of sweaters that are handwash only. One is blue merino wool, the other is white 100% cotton. The washer at my school is front loading, and has a setting for handwash. I'm assuming it's safe (would they put it on if it were going to destroy my clothes?), but I'm hesitant to try it. Does anybody have experience with front loading machines and their hand wash settings? What kind of detergent should I use? Should I use the same detergent if I just hand wash in a sink?

edit - I also have a wool one that's tagged dry clean only. Would that even be safe to handwash in a sink?

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by captainmo
I have a couple of sweaters that are handwash only. One is blue merino wool, the other is white 100% cotton. The washer at my school is front loading, and has a setting for handwash. I'm assuming it's safe (would they put it on if it were going to destroy my clothes?), but I'm hesitant to try it. Does anybody have experience with front loading machines and their hand wash settings? What kind of detergent should I use? Should I use the same detergent if I just hand wash in a sink?
The cotton id risk, the merino probably not. The key to safe machine washing is low RPM, no heat & no tumble or dry. take out wet, lay flat on vented towel iow so air passes through. If you are unsure of the state of the machine you can protect the garment by using a mesh bag, like used for ladies underwear. my2c

kdaust

Reaction score
Of course you can. Cotton no probs, and merino wool is pretty tough in any case.

Chuck it on the handwash setting, put in a little 'woolwash' or some other mild detergent, and dry flat on a towel as suggested by speedster.8

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with the others. I wash my cotton sweaters in washers on the gentle or handwash setting. No problems. Merino can be pretty tough.

If you have a lot of sweaters, rather than using towels, I would recommend buying a small sweater drying rack. These work very well.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wash my cotton sweaters in a mesh bag, top loading machine on the hand washable setting. Haven't ruined any yet.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never had a problem washing merino in a machine on delicate. The only failure I had was on a recently purchased cashmere/silk sweater (very weak yarns). Fortunately, I found I'm pretty good with a crochet hook (necessity is the mother of invention).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads