• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mach 3 Upgrade?

leon12

Reaction score
I've been spending some time at the shaving forums lately and am considering changing up my routine.

I like my M3.. decent shave, little/predictable irritation, quick.
I have looked in to DE shaving, but I just feel like making multiple passes and re-lathering would add time to my morning routine that I am not really willing to sacrifice, even if the end result is a better shave.

If I switched to a Sensor Excel, would I get a closer shave/less irritation than a M3?

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use the vibrating Mach 3 most workdays. Save the DE for the weekend.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leon12
I've been spending some time at the shaving forums lately and am considering changing up my routine.

I like my M3.. decent shave, little/predictable irritation, quick.
I have looked in to DE shaving, but I just feel like making multiple passes and re-lathering would add time to my morning routine that I am not really willing to sacrifice, even if the end result is a better shave.

If I switched to a Sensor Excel, would I get a closer shave/less irritation than a M3?

I moved from Sensor to M3, to Schick Quattro, with each step being an incremental improvement (although I think these things are highly dependent upon one's own beard growth, facial structure, shaving habits, or whatever).

I have also tried the DE thing. I wanted to like it, and probably would if I had a lot more time in the morning to devote to shaving as a ritual. But ultimately it just wasn't for me.

smw356

Reaction score
+1 to the quattro, though I have to replace the blades on mine more often than I did on my mach3.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've gone through the Mach 3, Mach 3 Power, the Fusion Power, to a DE for about a couple of months, then back to the Fusion Power. The Fusion Power is the best of all worlds, IMO, it shaves close, is low on irritation if your prep is sound, and it's idiot-proof. The vibrating Power feature won't give you a closer shave IMO, but it does reduce tugging and catching on hair, which improves comfort. The Fusion is a little more cumbersome than the Mach 3 but is generally worth it for the rest of its benefits.

Also, I think the Power cartridges are higher quality than the standard version for both the Mach 3 and Fusion, so if you don't like the Power feature it's still worth trying out the blades on your regular model.

antigonish

Reaction score
A lot of people at the shaving forums say that the excel is the best cartridge razor out there. I think the big key is in prep and the use of a quality brush and cream/soap.

I myself use a DE and after a few months the time difference is little but the quality is much higher.

leon12

Reaction score
How "little" is the time difference? Right now, I soak my brush, give it a whisk in some taylor's cream, and lather my face. I then make one pass with the grain and I'm done.

The DE shaving tutorials I've looked at involve whisking a dollop of cream for minutes to generate the perfect lather, followed by 2, 3, 4, 5 passes, re-lathering between each. It sounds like a lot of extra work to me..

Originally Posted by antigonish
I myself use a DE and after a few months the time difference is little but the quality is much higher.

antigonish

Reaction score
You're probably not going to get a great shave without more than one pass with a DE but unless you have a very thick beard you should not need more than three.

I face lather as well with soap since it cuts down on the time and do two passes at which point everything above my jawline is smooth, and I mean smooth. Under the jawline there's still stubble but you can't really tell from looking. I can't remember the exact amount of time it took me to shave with a mach 3, but I do remember that I did two passes with it as well and I could feel stubble on my cheeks and upper lip and it didn't take much less time than I use now.

Just watch this guy. He knocks out the first two passes of this shave in like three minutes.

On the forums some of the guys can get a little out of control and demand a parade for every batch of lather they whip up so while the advice is great, they are some big shavegeeks, as opposed to a slight shavegeek like myself.

As an aside I think face lathering with soap is about 5x faster than cream, soap isn't as volatile to the necessary product to water ratio, whereas creams can be very dry or become very runny real quick.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
My DE shaves take half as long as compared to my cartridge shaves. If I really work at it I can get a good shave in ~3 minutes with a DE (no cheek stubble, minor neck stubble), a better shave in ~7 (no visible stubble), and perfect shave some time over that.

With a Fusion it would take me 10 minutes to get somewhere between the good and better shave, and no matter what it would not improve beyond that point without turning my neck into road rash.

I highly suggest trying out a DE for a month or two. You can get pretty good razors for cheap, and can also use the brush and shaving cream with a cartridge.

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to shave with a Mach 3. I had terrible problems with irritation.

Switched to a Sensor Excel and I am able to get equally close shaves with less irritation. Cartridges are far cheaper too.

I would consider switching to one of the vibrating ones, although I don't think they make them for the two-blade models.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads