Mach 3 Razors

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Panzeraxe, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior member

Given that these darn things aren't cheap, I typically change them after 8-10 shaves - what do most people typically do?

Panzer

2. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

I've got an M3 Power razor that I've been using for at least twenty shaves.

3. PHV

PHV Senior member

8 to 10 shaves? Thats crazy. I think they dull much quicker than that, and you're probably also getting bacteria on those razors by that many shaves.

4. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Wow - you guys change your blades a lot more than I do. I probably go 1 to 1 1/2 months before changing blades.

My rule of thumb is that I wait until all the color has worn off both strips and then I pop it off and put on a new blade.

Doesn't seem to be a problem for me - I use my Mach 3 everyday and still get a close shave.

5. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior member

Wow - I didn't expect there to be such disparity among answers - I guess there is no 'global standard' - Gillette recommends that one change the blades after 5 shaves though I've always suspected that that was simply a ploy to make more $$$ (like shampoo companies asking us to rinse and repeat).

Anyone else?

Panzer

6. Sevcom

Sevcom Senior member

Whenever the blades start to pull on my skin. Depending on whether I simply shave with the grain or shave with, re-lather and shave against, it takes anywhere from four to eight uses before I chuck the cartridge.

7. sam

sam Senior member

About every 4 shaves, but I have a thick beard. I should probably shave in the evenings, but I'm a grimey SOB.

8. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Four is my average.

9. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Probably around 10, with a pretty average to light stubble (I'm hairy for an Asian). I've also head that storing the razor in a isopropyl-OH is good for maintaining an edge on the blade and avoiding bacterial infections. I have no idea if this is true.

I also recommend the shave gel/white foam stuff from Nivea. Look for the tube with a little salicylic acid in it. Aspirin does wonders for minimizing razor irritation, plus, according to my derm chapter, actually helps minimizes acne.

10. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

Norcaltransplant, where are your going to school? Einstein? Just curious.

11. cloud9eleet

cloud9eleet Senior member

I read an article that the people at "The Art of Shaving" said something crazy like every 2 shaves, thats damn expensive. I would learn to shave "properly" with a straight edge prior to changing out the M3 blades so often.

I use mine for a month or so, 20 shaves? I generally dont shave on the weekends unless I have a function or some sort.

12. Tyto

Tyto Senior member

I use a Mach III power, and I find that blades last about a week, on average, with some lasting as long as two. As soon as I feel even a hint of "pull," I ditch the blade.

13. Etruscan

Etruscan Senior member

I get between 5-6 shaves per Mach3 blade--which, because at the weekend I generally shave Saturday afternoon or evening, gets me through the week. And I shave my head as well as my face. In light of this longevity I can't really complain about the expense of the blades, as Sensors (my old favorites) couldn't be pushed beyond 3 or 4 shaves (and I've got a heavy beard for a blond guy). I've been wondering about the Mach3 Power--does the battery make all that much difference? I've got a mania for a super-close, baby's backside shave, so if anyone can tell me it helps, I'll probably bite.

14. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior member

Definitely helps - the turbo is superior to the stock Mach 3 in my opinion

15. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I shave every weekday and on the weekend if I have an event that demands a clean-shaven face, such as a wedding.  I change my Mach 3 Turbo blades every Monday morning.