1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mach 3 Razors

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Panzeraxe, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior Member

Given that these darn things aren't cheap, I typically change them after 8-10 shaves - what do most people typically do?

Panzer

2. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Distinguished Member

I've got an M3 Power razor that I've been using for at least twenty shaves.

3. PHV

PHV Senior Member

8 to 10 shaves? Thats crazy. I think they dull much quicker than that, and you're probably also getting bacteria on those razors by that many shaves.

4. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Wow - you guys change your blades a lot more than I do. I probably go 1 to 1 1/2 months before changing blades.

My rule of thumb is that I wait until all the color has worn off both strips and then I pop it off and put on a new blade.

Doesn't seem to be a problem for me - I use my Mach 3 everyday and still get a close shave.

5. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior Member

Wow - I didn't expect there to be such disparity among answers - I guess there is no 'global standard' - Gillette recommends that one change the blades after 5 shaves though I've always suspected that that was simply a ploy to make more $$$ (like shampoo companies asking us to rinse and repeat).

Anyone else?

Panzer

6. Sevcom

Sevcom Senior Member

Whenever the blades start to pull on my skin. Depending on whether I simply shave with the grain or shave with, re-lather and shave against, it takes anywhere from four to eight uses before I chuck the cartridge.

7. sam

sam Senior Member

About every 4 shaves, but I have a thick beard. I should probably shave in the evenings, but I'm a grimey SOB.

8. Parker

Parker Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Four is my average.

9. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Distinguished Member

Probably around 10, with a pretty average to light stubble (I'm hairy for an Asian). I've also head that storing the razor in a isopropyl-OH is good for maintaining an edge on the blade and avoiding bacterial infections. I have no idea if this is true.

I also recommend the shave gel/white foam stuff from Nivea. Look for the tube with a little salicylic acid in it. Aspirin does wonders for minimizing razor irritation, plus, according to my derm chapter, actually helps minimizes acne.

10. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Distinguished Member

Norcaltransplant, where are your going to school? Einstein? Just curious.

11. cloud9eleet

cloud9eleet Senior Member

I read an article that the people at "The Art of Shaving" said something crazy like every 2 shaves, thats damn expensive. I would learn to shave "properly" with a straight edge prior to changing out the M3 blades so often.

I use mine for a month or so, 20 shaves? I generally dont shave on the weekends unless I have a function or some sort.

12. Tyto

Tyto Senior Member

I use a Mach III power, and I find that blades last about a week, on average, with some lasting as long as two. As soon as I feel even a hint of "pull," I ditch the blade.

13. Etruscan

Etruscan Senior Member

I get between 5-6 shaves per Mach3 blade--which, because at the weekend I generally shave Saturday afternoon or evening, gets me through the week. And I shave my head as well as my face. In light of this longevity I can't really complain about the expense of the blades, as Sensors (my old favorites) couldn't be pushed beyond 3 or 4 shaves (and I've got a heavy beard for a blond guy). I've been wondering about the Mach3 Power--does the battery make all that much difference? I've got a mania for a super-close, baby's backside shave, so if anyone can tell me it helps, I'll probably bite.

14. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior Member

Definitely helps - the turbo is superior to the stock Mach 3 in my opinion

15. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Distinguished Member

I shave every weekday and on the weekend if I have an event that demands a clean-shaven face, such as a wedding.  I change my Mach 3 Turbo blades every Monday morning.