• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MacBook Pro

Jofaile

Reaction score
This thread serves two purposes:
  • To blatantly flaunt my future beautiful computer (this is what we apple owners do, after all).
  • To solicit comments/reviews from current owners (this the first time any apple owner has ever done this and was actually serious).
I am supplementing the PC laptop I have now with the Mac I have always wanted. I have already spoken with several friends that are fortunate enough to own a MacBook Pro and they have sung its praise. What about all of you? Any criticisms or comments? Current PC Laptop: 15.4-inch WXGA xBright Display 3.0 GHZ Pentium 4 Processor 768 MB DDR SDRAM 50 GB 7200 RPM ATA Hard drive Mobility Radeon 9600 with 64 MB GDDR-2 Memory 24x12x8 CD-RW Drive MacBook Pro: 17-inch Widescreen Display 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM 100GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA Hard Drive ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 Memory 4x SuperDrive Built-In iSight Camera Front Row and Apple Remote
mpro.jpg

Hanseat

Reaction score
Actually I don't like the keyboard much. The keys on IBM (now Lenovo) feel more substantial when typing and I it's slightly wider that Apple. Also, I have a 'problem' with the keyboard not going to the edge of my notebook. It's definitely a nice notebook though.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why the 100GB 5400RPM hard drive instead of the 100GB 7200RPM drive or the 120GB 5400? As an aside, yesterday I Boot Camped my 1.83GHz 15" MBP, installing XP SP2, the Norton suite to keep it safe, Firefox because IE sucks, MS Office because of some Excel macros that don't work in Excel for OSX, SAS and Stata for statistical work, and a bunch of Adobe stuff through my uni faculty license. It is by far the fastest Windoze computer I've ever seen. It starts up in only about twice the time my ca. 1/2001 500mHz TiBook loads Tiger. It opens Firefox in about 1.5x the time it takes the TiBook. Word, amazingly enough opens in about the same amount of time on the MBP Boot Camped into Windoze and the 500mHz TiBook running Tiger. Obviously, the MBP running what it was intended to run does these things much, much faster. For a Windows machine, I think that's pretty impressive. It also quite masterfully shows off the superiority of OSX, which makes a 5 year-old computer faster than a blazing fast Windows computer for many normal tasks. More to the point, as it's not really fair to compare ancient hardware running a modern OS to modern hardware running an obsolete OS, I showed a colleague and it performed those task faster than the brand new top-of-the-line Dell desktop tower he wasted his IT budget procuring. The irritants are that cmd-click doesn't work for right click, and I can't get my audio output to go into analog; it keeps flashing red.

Jofaile

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SGladwell
Why the 100GB 5400RPM hard drive instead of the 100GB 7200RPM drive or the 120GB 5400?
It is actually suppose to be the 7200 RPM--a typo, since I did not directly copy from the features list when I created the machine (I have corrected it). And it is interesting you should mention the Windows performance; my friend and I have done some benchmarking comparing his 2.16ghz MBP (Intel Core Duo) to my 3.0ghz Averatec (Pentium 4) and his 2.0ghz Lenovo (Intel Core Duo). It is no surprise that the MBP has application launch and response times superior to my machine (about 45% faster; Adode Photoshop, Microsoft Word and Excel, Firefox). But the truly impressive thing is that it also is considerably faster than the Lenovo (about 30%). Obviously the reason I want the machine is for graphic design use in Tiger and, no shocker here, its launch, response, and filter function performance in Photoshop CS is exceptional at all most 1/25 of my machine and 1/15 the Lenovo.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Which makes a 5 year-old computer (running Windows off boot camp) faster than a blazing fast Windows computer for many normal tasks.

Propaganda.

Perhaps your criteria for "blazing fast" differs from mine, but I'd like to hear some actual specs if you are going to make these kinds of claims. (so I can tell you why you are mistaken)

A "blazing fast" windows computer can open an XP install from power off
in about 10 seconds. I don't see how boot camp running off an old mac is going to improve off that speed, seeing as it has to emulate BIOS right off the bat. I assume that your copy of XP has all the programs loaded at startup that come loaded on your buddy's Dell too...

When you say a "top of the line" Dell, I assume that you are talking about the $5500 Dell XPS gaming computer w/ dual 3.4Ghz Intel cores, 1 terrabyte RAID array, and 4gb of matched RAM. If so, jeez, no wonder it takes a little longer to load, its a friggin behemoth of a system. Try putting a TB of disc space and a RAID controller inside your laptop, and get back to me if it affects your load time. If not, please rephrase and be more specific.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TS, please don't add nonsense to quotes. I'd really like to know how a 5 year-old PowerPC (G4) would run Boot Camp, an OS switcher for the modern Intel macs. The Boot Camped computer that was faster than a brand new Dell was my MBP. A more fair comparison for Windows against OSX is not running OSX on the MBP but on a five-year old laptop with 5 year-old buses (but admittedly a fairly modern - not SATA, but 5400RPM - disk and maxed out RAM) and a 500mHz G4.

It is a fact OS startup and opening normal programs that are common to both platforms (Firefox and MS Word) occurs much faster on the ancient 500mHz G4 Titanium PowerBook running a modern OS (10.4.6) than on a brand new Superdell running an outmoded OS (XP SP2). Get over it.

I don't know the exact spec of said Dell, except that it has two dual-core Xeon (not Pentium) processors inside and that on at academic departmental budget it was around $3600 with two 19" (I think - could be 17") Dell monitors. It's a machine purchased for real work (econometric modeling and that sort of thing) and not for frittering away time blowing up **** on a screen, so I assume it has gobs of disk and RAM.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SGladwell
TS, please don't add nonsense to quotes. I'd really like to know how a 5 year-old PowerPC (G4) would run Boot Camp, an OS switcher for the modern Intel macs. The Boot Camped computer that was faster than a brand new Dell was my MBP. A more fair comparison for Windows against OSX is not running OSX on the MBP but on a five-year old laptop with 5 year-old buses (but admittedly a fairly modern - not SATA, but 5400RPM - disk and maxed out RAM) and a 500mHz G4.
I apologize for misreading your post, but if you wouldn't have worded it so poorly, perhaps we wouldn't have had this problem.
smile.gif
Both the original post and the above quotation are very confusing. Perhaps its something to think about in the future.
It is a fact OS startup and opening normal programs that are common to both platforms (Firefox and MS Word) occurs much faster on the ancient 500mHz G4 Titanium PowerBook running a modern OS (10.4.6) than on a brand new Superdell running an outmoded OS (XP SP2). Get over it.
A fact according to who? I haven't seen any recent research being done on five year old Macs v.s. a top of the line Dell. I think that maybe you are a tad bit biased. I'm not trying to defend Dell or anything, but I frankly think you are being a little bit careless with your terminology. SuperDell indeed.
I don't know the exact spec of said Dell, except that it has two dual-core Xeon (not Pentium) processors inside and that on at academic departmental budget it was around $3600 with two 19" (I think - could be 17") Dell monitors. It's a machine purchased for real work (econometric modeling and that sort of thing) and not for frittering away time blowing up **** on a screen, so I assume it has gobs of disk and RAM.
Ok, first of all, what you are describing sounds like a workstation/server type PC. Far from being a "top of the line Dell". It being expensive does not make it faster. In fact it isn't designed to be fast. They are designed to crunch volume data and manage servers. So your comparison is faulty. And yes, it probably has quite a bit of disk space and I'd assume a fair amount of RAM. One of which slows it down, and one of which can potentially speed it up if it uses the RAM in a configuration condusive to speed. (which it probably doesn't) Anyone who knows anything about computers knows that the "top of the line" when it comes to speed and performance is going to be in the gaming computers arena. That is the forefront of technology because THAT IS WHERE THE MONEY IS. Your condescention aside, I would actually like to see your five year old mac vs a modern computer built for speed, running XP. I think it would be a lot closer than you imagine. Price wise too...
smile.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think it's apt to compare a home-type computer as such an Apple laptop mostly is--despite its Pro addendum-- with somewhat niche computers like for specific gaming purposes, which are usually custom-built, as I understand it.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And some of us have better things to do than waste our lives testing computer speeds on the latest fantasy or shooter games. Like posting on here.

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
Spend the extra money and get some protection for your laptop, the new ones don’t take as much physical abuse as the old ones. Also, it probably goes without saying but get a two button mouse.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I don't think it's apt to compare a home-type computer as such an Apple laptop mostly is--despite its Pro addendum-- with somewhat niche computers like for specific gaming purposes, which are usually custom-built, as I understand it.

Many of the better ones are...Dell's top of the line XPS is halfway decent for being a Dell, though a bit on the pricey side.

I don't think its fair, or realistic, to compare a 5 year old MBP against anything. I'm just trying to clarify the point that in no way can it smoke a "top of the line" (IE Gaming) Dell by the margins advertized. I didn't make the comparison, I'm just debunking SGladwell's.

I don't think its realistic to compare it to a server either, while probably being a very nice business machine, its not going to be as quick as the Mac. Then again, there aren't any macs out there that can process the raw data and bandwith that a quad xenon system can. So I guess its even.

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
Slow and steady wins the race. I wouldnt sacrafice reliability for upfront speed. Windows wont have anything nearly as stable until project LongHorn or whatever their calling it these comes out.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rome
Slow and steady wins the race. I wouldnt sacrafice reliability for upfront speed. Windows wont have anything nearly as stable until project LongHorn or whatever their calling it these comes out.
Its called "Vista" and who knows how its gonna work out. I'm excited because its pretty cool looking, but not as "cartoonish" as OSX. Most people are going to need to upgrade their computers to run it at full features, and there have been grumblings about the new DRM/HDCP standards, but one of the next versions of MacOS is going to have them too. Either that, or there will be no Hi Def content for Apple. So... Microsoft is just ahead of the curve in the "screwing people over department". Anyhow, Vista looks cool. I've played around with the BETA a little, and its actually been ready for a while, but MS has been delaying it for like six months while the hardware manufacturers catch up to it. Supposedly its startup is supposed to be much faster than XP.

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
Are you a Beta tester or did you re-appropriate a copy? From what I've heard it's the resource management capabilities that are the showstopper. I was temped to run a copy on PC Anywhere but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. As far as the GUI, you have to admit it does borrow from the Mac OS. Is Vista still on schedule to come out late this year? Personally I wouldn't get a MBP until v.2 (computers have given an aversion to anything v.1) and the new OS comes out mid 07, Marmot or Shrew or whatever jungle cat its going to be named after.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Then again, there aren't any macs out there that can process the raw data and bandwith that a quad xenon system can. So I guess its even.

My roommate has a quad-processor Mac, with 8GB memory. He is a video editor so it comes in handy for him, although the most recent video editing software can only take advantage of 4GB (though I believe the next version of Final Cut Pro is going to be able to use 8GB of memory).

I don't have numbers to compare - just pointing out that Apple does make industrial-level computers. At this point, the idea of comparing numbers between systems is kind of a moot point. The OS's operate so differently - the load times, when they exist, are in different places, so it would be difficult to compare them objectively. My Mac boots up rather slowly, but that's because I've been lazy about trimming down my activated fonts.

To the OP, grats on your new machine. I'm jealous.

On Windows Vista, I think it's alright. It's much prettier than XP, which is nice, but it still feels very math-y and technical in how it operates, opens programs, loads files, etc., to my dismay. I'm surprised at the comment about it being less cartoony than Mac OS X. I suppose you're referring to the bubbles and more subdued colors and styles... however I find the stylings to be kind of immature-looking. It reminds me of Xbox... a lot, so I disagree on those terms. Again, however, I do like it better than XP, which feels *incredibly* flat, despite it's over-use of bevelling, shadows, opacities, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads