1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Macbook Pro vs Macbook Air

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Teger, Jan 14, 2012.

So?

1. Air

13 vote(s)
    76.5%
  2. Pro

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. captainfunk

captainfunk Senior member

Teger what will you be using your computer for? Most people that dont use their computer for work (photo/video/graphics/games—computing intensive things) dont need a pro. Plus, the air is drop dead sexy.

Lastly, have you ever used an SSD? The boot time and basic operation of the air is so much faster with the air. Certainly you're getting much less storage place, but many of my friends have gone Air lately and never looked back.

2. Teger

Teger Senior member

yea im gonna get an air. quick q: do i have to buy a superdrive, or will any usb 2.0 external work just as well?

3. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Good decision. Laptop design is moving towards the Air. Keep your macbook and use it for the optical drive. Storage on your machine isn't a big deal with iCloud and iTunes match. Into the 5th year with a macbook pro, it was the first one built with Intel processor. Waiting for a 15" Air. Try to get a new device at the beginning or first upgrade of a new design to get maximum life span. Like getting a BMW when the body style first changes rather than just before the change.

4. stevent

stevent Senior member

I use this Samsung one from Amazon. Half the price of the super drive and I have not had any issues so far.

5. amnesiacv2

amnesiacv2 Well-Known Member

Any USB external drive should work. LG, Samsung, Pioneer all make good ones and you can get them for $30-40 from Newegg or Amazon.

Also, you made an excellent choice. My wife got a MB Air and despite it costing less than half as much as my MB Pro from 2009, it runs circles around my computer thanks to the SSD. That makes all the difference. Also, 7 hours of battery life is nothing to sneeze at.

6. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

I would say the exact opposite. There is no fucking way I would get a brick like a Macbook Pro over the Air.

For non-technical people the overall speed difference is negligible (flame away but you know I'm right). Basically if you have more GB than the Air's SSD capacity and cannot under any circumstance use an external HD, then you need the Pro for the bigger drive.

Also, I fucking hate optical drives on laptops. Maybe you are different and want to fire up your DVD of Friends Season 4 The Final Hookup while sitting on the Greyhound, not me.

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Congrats on making a decision, Air or Prop, you will be happy with the hardware and software at the end of the day :)

I have an old external Sony DVD-R that I hook up to my 2011 mini, which also doesn't have a DVD drive and it works perfectly. The nice thing about the external superdrive is the compact size, however if you can find a smaller / cheaper drive, get that.

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

No one is saying that the Air isn't far more portable and lighter than the Pro, and yes for the average person, the tech specs of the Pro are overkill, however I took into consideration that he wanted to keep the computer for 2-3 years, which the Pro will fare better over the course of that time because of the better specs. Its a give and take: lighter computer, lower specs or heavier computer, and better specs.

I stated that it may or may not matter to him. To each his / her own ;)

10. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I broke my wife's Macbook. Gotta go buy her a new one right now. Which do I buy, the 13" Air or 13" Pro?

11. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I'd go for a fully spec'd 13" air.

12. stevent

stevent Senior member

No need for an i7, 13 standard unless she has a lot of music/movies

13. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

do they still sell the white one?

14. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

you mean the regular macbook? nope.