• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MacBook Pro Retina

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone get one as yet? Considering pulling the trigger on the 2.6ghz model to replace my 5 year old MacBook.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
been trying to get one but I missed the online orders, and now just waiting to get one from the store in person. I checked it out at the Apple store on 5th Avenue the other day, it's nice. If you've seen a unibody macbook, it's hard to tell the new one apart. It's thinner and lighter, but not by much. Just a lack of ports and optical drive to differentiate it. The screen is pretty damn clear but this old LED quad-core i7 I have isn't horrible to look at either. I just feel like it's going to be the benchmark for most all laptops (especially anything Apple) now for awhile, so I might as well start now. Back when they made the older Ti Powerbooks and then the silver Powerbook G4's, those were pretty impressive generational shifters and were far more expensive to get into than this Retina MBP.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

idk after seeing the pricing model i am bit thrown off... 2799 for the one i want is a lotta cash

If you're in the bay, why not get an employee discount from a friend, easy $400-700 saved

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are very few people for whom the macbook pro makes a lot of sense, especially in regards to price and performance. Most people don't and won't need the performance of a MBP. The only really compelling factor I see in getting the new MBP is for the retina display, and when I checked it out at the apple store, I was not amazed at all.

You're looking at a laptop screen from so far away (relatively speaking, in comparison to an iPhone or iPad, for example), so the benefit of the retina display is minimized.

I say all this as an apple lover. For now, the macbook air makes the most sense for most people, IMO. I think that's why they didn't release the Air with the retina displays, because no one would buy the MBP.

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There are very few people for whom the macbook pro makes a lot of sense, especially in regards to price and performance. Most people don't and won't need the performance of a MBP. The only really compelling factor I see in getting the new MBP is for the retina display, and when I checked it out at the apple store, I was not amazed at all.
You're looking at a laptop screen from so far away (relatively speaking, in comparison to an iPhone or iPad, for example), so the benefit of the retina display is minimized.
I say all this as an apple lover. For now, the macbook air makes the most sense for most people, IMO. I think that's why they didn't release the Air with the retina displays, because no one would buy the MBP.

Yeah I was waiting for a MBA with retina + 8gb mem + 512 ssd. Or more ideal would be MBA with retina + normal mem and drive slots so I could upgrade on my own. Not happy with new refresh but keeping my current MBA now

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yeah I was waiting for a MBA with retina + 8gb mem + 512 ssd. Or more ideal would be MBA with retina + normal mem and drive slots so I could upgrade on my own. Not happy with new refresh but keeping my current MBA now

Yeah, I was hoping for the MBA with the retina display too. I couldn't care less about the internal performance components since my current Air is still fast as **** and I bought this in the winter of 2010.

It'll come out soon enough so I'll just wait until then.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If you're in the bay, why not get an employee discount from a friend, easy $400-700 saved

hmm good idea, i am not in the market for one yet but once i am i'll see who will be nice

Yeah, I was hoping for the MBA with the retina display too. I couldn't care less about the internal performance components since my current Air is still fast as **** and I bought this in the winter of 2010.
It'll come out soon enough so I'll just wait until then.

i actually just wanted all the MBP spec in an MBA, retina display i could care less about, i don't watch movies, i do analysis and write code occasionally, my loops don't need to be in HD

Bruinsfan

Reaction score
I still don't get it. Can anyone please explain to me why you would pay thousands of dollars for an Apple product when you could buy an even better product from some other manufacturer for like half the price?

rs232

Reaction score
^I dislike macs, but to be fair, try posting an example of something with the same specs (including size and weight) for under $1.5K. You'll have a difficult time.

Bruinsfan

Reaction score

^I dislike macs, but to be fair, try posting an example of something with the same specs (including size and weight) for under $1.5K. You'll have a difficult time.

Now hold on just a minute. I can post a laptop with higher specs than a mac, no problem. The size and weight will be a problem, I'll give you that much. But we need to ask ourselves; what is most important when buying a laptop? The thinness and compactness or high-grade specs?

High-grade specs for me please.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now hold on just a minute. I can post a laptop with higher specs than a mac, no problem. The size and weight will be a problem, I'll give you that much. But we need to ask ourselves; what is most important when buying a laptop? The thinness and compactness or high-grade specs?
High-grade specs for me please.

Including screen res?

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
bruinsfan: seriously? of course it's a balance of weight, performance and price. and show me a better 13" lightweight laptop than the air.

crrish

Reaction score
MBPs are so overpriced. The only thing going for it is the thunderbolt port which hopefully most new Q3/4 PC laptops will have anyway. The retina display is hardly worth it on a laptop and this is coming from someone who froths on high-res displays normally.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I still don't get it. Can anyone please explain to me why you would pay thousands of dollars for an Apple product when you could buy an even better product from some other manufacturer for like half the price?

Would love to see a link to a Windows laptop with even better specs then the new Macbook Pro Retina. Remember, you have to match or exceed it in most areas, including the weight and screen, for this to count. Bonus props to you buddy if you can do so at "half the price." :fonz:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads