• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MacBook Pro Retina

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slightly OT: I run a MacBook 10.5.8 and want to use Apple tv to watch routed external HD movies (non-iTunes etc) on my (non-wifi) HD tv. With the Mountain Lion upgrade permit this w/o any further software installs/manipulations etc? cheers.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If your hardware can run it smoothly, you should be good to go.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
thinking about biting on a 15" MBP w/ retina.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thinking about getting a 13" MBP Retina just so I don't have to ******* hear the jet engine inside my MBA every time I stream Netflix.

In all seriousness though, I can't wait for the MBA Retina to come out.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
the screen is pretty.

the wife is an architect, and having the perfectly clean lines is nice, but I'd be the one using it 98% of the time and I like pretty things. Price isn't much of a consideration here.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

Thinking about getting a 13" MBP Retina just so I don't have to ******* hear the jet engine inside my MBA every time I stream Netflix.

originally I wanted the 13", but the lame storage capacity in the base 13" and the upgraded video processor in the 15" made the price difference quite negligible and worth it to me.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

originally I wanted the 13", but the lame storage capacity in the base 13" and the upgraded video processor in the 15" made the price difference quite negligible and worth it to me.

sounds like you know what your doing.

fyi, MBA is powerful enough for development, i develop a little on it and a good friend whom is an engineer swears by it and he has a 1 year older model than mine

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
i don't care about most of the features, or speeds, or price - but my one concern is the fact that all of the parts are basically bolted together, so if something clunks out it'll be expesive to fix. Battery is $199 (which strikes me as expensive, but perhaps I'm wrong).

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

yeah, i couldn't believe they didn't slap in a dedicated GPU in there.

critical flaw -- especially for a laptop that will require increased graphics processing for EVERYTHING it'll do (when you're using retina resolution settings).

re: storage capacity -- 256 gb is plenty for me.

when do you guys think apple will release a 13" MBA with retina, a dedicated GPU, and decent battery life? 2 years from now? :laugh:

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
256 gb is what I'm looking for, my old regular MB had like 128 and over time it filled up quickly.

The base 13" MBP Retina has 128, but to bump that up to 256 brings it within $200 of the 15" which has the GPU and the bigger screen. Yep, I'm gonna pay that $200 since the size/weight is not really any issue with me.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The GPU will only make a difference when you play games or use specialized apps that depend on the GPU (eg. Adobe Premiere or After Effects). For driving the Retina display, the CPU (not GPU) is the limiting factor for either the 15- or 13-inch MBP, because of the scaling algorithms Apple is using to make the Retina display act like a smaller display. Scrolling through complicated websites like Facebook is where you will see Retina on either MBP slow down a lot.

Anyway, pick the laptop based on screen size, CPUs, etc. but the dedicated GPU in the 15-incher only matters for games or certain apps.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The reviews I have read disagree. Lack of dedicated GPU is hampering performance on the 15 inch version. Performance seems to slug because of it. I would be cautious to spend that kind of cash on a rig that may be laggy on a website like Facebook.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics