MacBook Pro Retina

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by TRINI, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

I'm enjoying my 13"Macbook Pro with the i7. Very fast machine. I'd love a Retina machine but I need more gigabytes for computer audio.

2. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Hey my techy sf buddies,

can some of you land an opinion, i know this is the MBP retina thread but i thought you guys can answer an MBA question

I am thinking of getting an MBA 13in w/8gig ram, 128 ssd which only allows the i5 processor, (cost is 1299 for this one)

my question is there a point in getting the same MBA but with the 256 ssd which allows a processor upgrade to an i7 processor? (cost is 1699)
    is 400 dollars worth it?

EDIT: i care more about the i7 processor than the 256 ssd

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012

3. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    What will you be using it for?

4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

No, its not worth it. I have the i5 13". Its perfect at this price point. The upgrade is worthless, especially when you can get a 1TB hd for under $100.

5. Jr Mouse

The Air uses a SSD so you can't compare pricing like that to a standard laptop drive.

6. Jr Mouse

In regards to the original question, I think it really depends on if you are a true "power user" or not. It's important to be honest with yourself on how you will use the machine. I find most people will answer yes to the question if they are asked without putting much thought into it. For whatever reason most exaggerate their own needs. Perhaps something is sexy about labeling one's self a "power user"? I don't know...

7. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

web development and/or web apps

let me clarify i am more interested in the i7 processor not the 256 ssd

edit: down the line i plan to go into doing some android/iphone apps

8. Jr Mouse

Are the programs you use to develop these apps processor intensive like Photoshop can be? If not, I don't really think you will see much benefit in the extra speed.

9. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

This reminds me I was at Best/Worst Buy this week and a lady was asking for a 16GB Retina Pro. The sales associate said that needs to be ordered from Apple because BB preorders were configured 8GB. Then he puts both his arms on his hips and challenges her in a LOUD voice and with an incredulous look on his face: Now WHAT would YOU POSSIBLY need THAT much RAM for?! She physically took a step back, stunned and flustered by the shot and said well I don't see how that's any of your concern but well I need to use Word and stuff.. :eh:

Dude badly needs some customer service and sales training. And she needs.. 16GB to run Word apparently.

Anyhow my 2 cents after playing with the Pro Retina.
    Pro Retina is specified ~ 1 lb lighter than the 13 MBP but it somehow felt heftier.
    I typically have a PDF article and a few programs running for work. I could just about fit everything on a 15 MBP by resizing and rearranging windows. Not as elegant as a Pro Retina but there wasn't a remarkable advantage for productivity.
    I'm reasonably discriminating visually and the Pro Retina looks great, very fluid. Would love to see a similar display on an Air.

I'm getting a 13 Air (8GB/128GB) to replace a 4 year old 13 MBP. Seems overpriced for the upgrade to me.

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

No, coding isn't THAT processor intensive to warrant the upgrade. The i5, while isn't the fastest thing ever, is more than fast enough in this context. Honestly, outside of heavy video or photo work, its not worth it.

Mouse - I was making the point that the extra storage is cheap to come by.

11. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

i actually walked into an apple store and asked about a custom order of the 128mba w/ i7 processor and they said no problem, i assume it will be an extra $100 (thats how much the apple store adds when i make a mock purchase)

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Its not possible on the .com store. Don't know how they'd be able to manage it. :confused:

13. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

no the .com store doesnt do it, it would need to be a custom order

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Played with the retina model tonight. Man, that screen is really fucking impressive. If I had to travel a lot though, I'd still take the Air. The Pro is still pretty fucking heavy.

15. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti

Yes. And No. When traveling overseas w/ a high-valued (and highly dutied) item some countries will require you to declare the item at departure or risk paying duties (again) upon return. I've experienced this with skis, golf clubs, and cameras. The customers officer makes a note of the item in your passport. As long as you get your i's dotted and t's crossed you're okay. When visiting another country with those items I was required to declare them at arrival, and when I departed the customs official made sure they were leaving with me. If they weren't I would have been taxed. Punitively.

I have friends who made a very nice living smuggling high-valued luxury and professional items, Hasselblads for instance. Not only was the camera required by the black marketers, but also the box, packaging material and all the accompanying paperwork - things often thrown away or left at home by a "tourist". There's a fine art of making a new camera appear old to trick a customs official.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012