MacBook Pro Retina

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by TRINI, Jun 25, 2012.

1. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

chrome crashing mbps? wtf....
    i have a 2011 mbp i7 w/8gig ram and 3 browsers...
    chrome for work
    safari for browsing
    mozilla as back up (crashes most)
    (ie on my windows virtual machine but i dont count that)
    nothing crashes... ever

now as far as a new mbp based on the retina, i can pass for now, a new MBP based on the sizing then im sold, what i really want currently is a macbook air for my personal use, 13in w/ssd and im golden, in fact my close friend whom is a SE said his top tier air more than serves its purpose for work and personal (food for thought)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012

2. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    It's funny, before I finally got an iPad I was leaning towards replacing my old plastic Macbook with an Air. Now that I own the iPad, I'm wondering if a Pro would be a better purchase. My iPad serves my needs as a carry everywhere device and travel companion. So why not get a less portable, but more powerful laptop to compliment it? Won't be making the purchase anytime soon, but that's what I am considering now.

3. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I spilled wine all over my Macbook so my M, J, U, 7, and ; keys no longer work. It's a bitch to be on StyleForvm with that problem.

Might jump on the MBP with Retina sometime in the fall. Will have to exploit my brother's discount.

4. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

I have a three year old 13" MBP that I recently upgraded to 8 gb of ram. At this point, aka a fifth year college student going to medical school in 13 months, and considering I just bought an LTE iPad, the only laptop that I want or could see any need for would be a 11" MBA. Fills the void between my iPad and my MBP. Now, give me retina display on that, and I'll be peachy.

I had a 15" MBP (last gen, pre-unibody) speced out and it was great, but not nearly portable enough for my needs as a college student. I don't need a blazing fast i7 now... All I need is a lot of ram to run multiple programs at the same time, a good looking screen, great battery life, and portability. I could probably even live with a 120 gb SSD.

However I will acknowledge that my needs are not representative of everyone's. Just the majority of the population.

5. Jr Mouse

Honest question, but do you really feel there is a "void" between your MBP and iPad that needs to be filled? Why not just invest in a good iPad case with built in keyboard and use that if it's about the need for heavy typing in class.

6. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

if you want >13 inch screen then mbp is what you need, if 13in is enough mba is jsut as good as a 13in mbp

i7 is great but not that amazing, i honestly thing pumping up the ram is more imp

7. Krish the Fish

Maybe not a void per se, but my laptop's getting old and if I were to replace it (which I am to do next summer before med school), I'm going to do so with an 11" MBA. I guess "replace" isn't the correct word either, since it's not like I'm trashing my MBP.

8. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

do yourself a favor and go with the 13inch

9. Jr Mouse

True, but if I got the 15 inch then I get the dedicated graphic GPU which is a fairly large advantage. Otherwise, you are right.

Understood. Well I would consider the 13 inch Air if I was you. That extra real estate on the screen will feel welcome and the 11 is not that much bigger then what you have with the iPad. :)

10. Krish the Fish

Is there really that big of a difference? I like the size of my 13" MBP, but I would definitely be fine with a little smaller. I am a little confused as to how a full (or "full sized" in reference to the keyboard on the 13") keyboard fits on an 11" laptop. Maybe I need to go to the apple store and play around with an 11" to see.

11. Jr Mouse

Yeah, go play with them at the store. I own a 13 inch Macbook and can't imagine owning a laptop with a smaller screen, but that's just me. The 11 feels kind of cramped.

12. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

15in for me, would only do air in 13

13. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

+1

14. Fraiche

Fraiche Senior member

MBA 13" would have been a no brainer for me if it wasn't the 128 gig HD....:fu:

15. Jr Mouse

Storage increases will come with time.