• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Macarons appreciation thread

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
macarons3.jpg

Best ever cookies

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Way too expensive and not very interesting.

I suspect they're fetishized for much the same reason as cupcakes.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Way too expensive and not very interesting.

I suspect they're fetishized for much the same reason as cupcakes.

i'd agree for the most part. but the good ones are really amazing. thin crisp shell, chewy meringue, really direct flavors.

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well a bit expensive, but you haven't tried a good pistachio one, apparantly.
It's not a cupcake thing.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
i'd agree for the most part. but the good ones are really amazing. thin crisp shell, chewy meringue, really direct flavors.

+1. I love them, but like all fads they can be annoying. I am looking forward to the Turkish Delight fad though. Long overdue.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think it is a cupcake thing (they're cheap, pretty, delicious = massive foodie love affair) and i love macarons. i think the best i've had were from paulette in sf and maison du chocolat in nyc. really nice up front flavors. great textures

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
i think it is a cupcake thing (they're cheap, pretty, delicious = massive foodie love affair) and i love macarons. i think the best i've had were from paulette in sf and maison du chocolat in nyc. really nice up front flavors. great textures
Cheap? I pay about 8 euros for 10.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
which is not much money

to be on the fast track to being a foodie item (ie cupcake status)

it has to be affordable (as in anybody making minimum wage could buy it. anybody with any kind of a job can afford 8 euros).

it has to have an air of pretension (like you have to be able to say that xxx you have in your hand sux. go to this store. this xxx has too much insert answer here eg buttercream, sugar, what have you). banh mi, ramen, macarons, cupcake, burgers all fit here.

i think that's about it

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think they're pretty safe from cupcake-hood. you actually have to know how to bake to make them. they're actually quite tricky.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
i really like me a great macaron. The ones I had from ThÃ
00a9.png
AdorÃ
00a9.png
a few weeks ago were superb.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
that's a Moon Pie, bro

MMMMMM Moon Pie. Love me some Moon Pie.

btw, I thought this would be Macaroon thread, which I also love very very very much.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
i think they're pretty safe from cupcake-hood. you actually have to know how to bake to make them. they're actually quite tricky.

i've tried to make it a few times and they're very very tricky. most macarons i've had weren't good, but a few places made very excellent version. nothing i hate more than a dried out macaron.

still doesnt exempt them from foodie cupcake status tho

billsayers

Reaction score
I got 24 pack of macarons at LadurÃ
00a9.png
e in Paris a year ago...the best I ever had. My GF and I finished the whole pack in less than a few hours.

Pâtisserie Chantilly in Torrance, CA has the best macarons in Southern California.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads