• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mac "updates". I'm sick of them.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can it just update **** without telling me? For **** sake. I'm sick of there being some update every 30 seconds, and not changing anything noticeable.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think you can set it so it only alerts you once a week or something.

Beetleything

Reaction score
In System preferences you can choose to check for updates - Daily - weekly - Monthly and Download them Automatically.... Couldn't be easier
eh.gif
I find everything on a Mac a breeze compared to the BS i got on Windows, but that's just me.
confused.gif

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I though Sfield was talking about the big hooha is made of every Apple hardware update.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
iTunes updates just about every time I open it, which is why I wont be installing it on my new PC.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a Mac with Snow Leopard and don't see what your problem is. The updates are not that often and it's a seamless process. Much better then how Windows 7 handles them, and that's coming from someone who likes Windows 7.

Keep in mind those updates that "do things you don't notice" are actually fixing security vulnerabilities and stability issues. They are important and keep your data safe.

Beetleything

Reaction score
ehmmm

Me - iMac. iTunes Updates maybe 2 or 3 times in the last 6 months.

Some serious BS going on in this thread.

Anyway updates fix bugs etc.

You click ok and it updates - am i missing something?

What's the big issue?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I see what he's talking about - it's easy to get on the computer and only want to use it for a few minutes, and so you click 'not now' because you know the downloads are gonna take like 10-15 minutes if you have mad **** on your computer. I think I have like 4 macs in my tiny house and I do the same thing because three of them hardly ever get turned on, and when they do they need the update.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I see what he's talking about - it's easy to get on the computer and only want to use it for a few minutes, and so you click 'not now' because you know the downloads are gonna take like 10-15 minutes if you have mad **** on your computer. I think I have like 4 macs in my tiny house and I do the same thing because three of them hardly ever get turned on, and when they do they need the update.

+1

My itunes wants to update itself like every ******* day. Windows is way worse in that it would force you to do ****. I remember taking a laptop to a meeting to show them a document and we had to wait like 25 ******* minutes while it updated some bullshit.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
"not now" and "remind me later" are keywords for "get me on the ******* internet NOW"
redface.gif

jakejake

Reaction score
Like Beetleything suggested.. go to System Preferences and set it to check monthly. However, it's important to keep your system up to date.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beetleything
ehmmm

Me - iMac. iTunes Updates maybe 2 or 3 times in the last 6 months.

Some serious BS going on in this thread.

Anyway updates fix bugs etc.

You click ok and it updates - am i missing something?

What's the big issue?

++++
theres less frequent , but more seamless updates, compared to windows

false whine.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
++++
theres less frequent , but more seamless updates, compared to windows

false whine.

Not every complaint against Mac needs to be met with a "BUT OMG IT'S SO MUCH BETTER THAN WINDOZE!!!!!111!!!!"

Beetleything

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Not every complaint against Mac needs to be met with a "BUT OMG IT'S SO MUCH BETTER THAN WINDOZE!!!!!111!!!!"

but it is..............
bigstar[1].gif

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson

so how does it compare to the other relevant consumer OS - Linspire, Knoppix, and Ubuntu ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads