Mac OS X Lion: what think ye?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by imageWIS, Jul 21, 2011.

1. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

What don't you like about Lion?

2. billionaireboy

billionaireboy Senior member

I love the increased speed of Safari and just the overall smoothness and seamlessness of the interface. However, does anyone else notice that the unread mail counter on Mail 5.0 is a bit slow in updating?

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

What kind of Mac do you own?

4. billionaireboy

billionaireboy Senior member

I have a late 2007 MBP. Would that make a difference? When I was using snow leopard, the counter was extremely fast. In addition, It showed when I had new mail in my inbox (i have my mail linked up to my university email server). Now, for it to display a counter at all, I have to click "show all unread"

5. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    I love the new lion os, the launch pad, mission control and the going back a page is just awesome. i have the magic mouse and use an iMac and it is just fantastic!!

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Several reasons:

1) So the rest of the members of the board know how different chipsets / CPU's / graphics cards work with Lion.

2) Knowing your individual Mac's specs may explain why something apps / features don't run as well as they should or at all.

Regarding the counter, have you tried looking at the Mail settings? Also, this might be a glitch with 10.7.0, Apple has already seeded 10.7.2 in Beta form to testers, so you know an update (10.7.1) is coming up soon.

7. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

the only thing i don't like is how the pages "bounce" when you reach the top/end/sides...

8. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

It's a MBP 4.1, so apparently it does. But I've never really liked using trackpads on laptops, always preferred to use a mouse.

If I wanted Lion, I probably would have to do that. I've just tried creating making an Apple ID account. Made the account OK, but when it came to payment information, it's Visa, Mastercard and Amex only, NO UnionPay. I only have UnionPay cards. Can't even do Paypal with the App Store. WTF Apple!! So much for that then.

I know OS X has never been tied to a particular ID or computer, unlike Windows. I know if it's an Apple Mac computer, it should just install.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

There were rumors that since it was an App store download, it somehow lodged your Apple ID onto the .dmg, but so far what I have read is that Lion is not connected to the Apple ID that downloaded it.

10. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I'm still rather puzzle by why Apple doesn't have UnionPay for the App Store, western credit cards only. Apple does operate in China, they have Apple Stores in Beijing and Shanghai, and they do a Chinese version of the App Store and iTunes Store. In China most people including myself, only have UnionPay cards. However my MBP was originally purchased in the UK, and is set to English language.

BTW most software I actually use is free or open source, Chrome, GIMP, VLC, Google Earth, VirtualBox(for running Windows), Pidgin, QQ, Skype, .. the only Apple software I use regularly is iTunes(for downloading podcasts) and iPhoto.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I have no idea. Perhaps you should send Apple an email? Can you purchase iTunes gift cards where you are located?

12. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Maybe in Beijing, but certainly not here in Xilinhot. AFAIK Apple has no presence at all in Inner Mongolia. I'm sure my MBP is the only Apple computer in the whole city. OS X doesn't even support Mongolian *, the main language here. Unless it's been added into Lion? When my MBP started overheating a few months ago, I had to fix it myself, no Geniuses here. ;)

* Only Mongolian Cyrillic not Mongolian Script. Mongolian Cyrillic is not used in Inner Mongolia.

Mongolian Script:
    [​IMG]
    I'm learning this.

EDIT

OS X is supposed to support Mongolian script, but it's broken.

IE9 Windows 7
    [​IMG]

Safari OS X Snow Leopard
    [​IMG]
    I'm going to contact Apple about this.

Does it show correctly with OS X Lion? That is vertically top to bottom?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongolian_script
    http://mongol.people.com.cn/

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

13. ijesse

ijesse Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for the first revision. These things always tend to have plenty of trouble, and my Macbook Pro is too important to my productivity to lose.

14. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

Just got a new MBA and been installing stuff including bootcamp/ win 7. So far so good. Not that much different in normal usage to snow leopard; I clicked off 'natural scrolling' immediately.

15. ijesse

ijesse Well-Known Member

I've heard that's a major bitch.