1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mac Issue.

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by LabelKing, Dec 21, 2007.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I am having a problem with my Powerbook, OS 10.4. That is, everything works except for the Finder and the desktop icons, folders don't appear.

This seems very odd as everything else seems fine--I'm using the internet right now--and all my files are intact, but the finder just doesn't come up nor do the desktop items.

Does anyone have any experience? I went to the Apple Store and their so-called Genius Bar, but they were entirely incompetent as expected.

2. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Not sure if this will help. Try opening Finder Preferences > General and make sure the Show these items in Desktop box is checked.

Good luck. I'm surprised, I've actually had good luck with the Genius Bar.

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

The problem is that the Finder and its associated things do not open in any form while all the toolbar programs run fine.

4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

The problem is that the Finder and its associated things do not open in any form while all the toolbar programs run fine.
    So what's running in your background? Any dock or searchlight?

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

So what's running in your background? Any dock or searchlight?

The dock works fine as does the Spotlight function. Everything but the Finder, and desktop icons which have disappeared.

6. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

The dock works fine as does the Spotlight function. Everything but the Finder, and desktop icons which have disappeared.
    Hit Apple-Option-Esc and see what pops up in the box.

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Hit Apple-Option-Esc and see what pops up in the box.

Firefox.

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Firefox.
    Hmm. Are you using 10.4.11?

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Hmm. Are you using 10.4.11?

Yes.

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

And no changes when you reboot?

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

And no changes when you reboot?
    No; I also did Disk Utility Verify, which found some errors and corrected them, but no changes. I also did Verify Permissions, and deleted the finder.plist file. Alternatively I could reinstall the whole thing, but I would need to back up some of my files first; but I don't know how to do that without the Finder.

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

No; I also did Disk Utility Verify, which found some errors and corrected them, but no changes. I also did Verify Permissions, and deleted the finder.plist file.
    Good steps. Did you get to Disk Utility using Searchlight? Do you still have the Finder Icon in the dock?

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Good steps.

Did you get to Disk Utility using Searchlight?

Do you still have the Finder Icon in the dock?

I did it both--from the Spotlight and also through the Apple CD at the beginning of starting the machine.

Yes, the icon is still on the dock.

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I did it both--from the Spotlight and also through the Apple CD at the beginning of starting the machine. Yes, the icon is still on the dock.
    What happens when you click on it?

15. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

What happens when you click on it?
    Nothing, and yet in Recent Items, it says Finder.

16. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Nothing, and yet in Recent Items, it says Finder.
    I'm going to say it was the 10.4.11 update. When I did mine through software update Safari would crash as soon as I clicked on the icon and the Searchlight search box wouldn't stay open for me to type anything into it. I think you're going to have to do a full reinstall. If/when you do, don't grab the update from the toolbar. Go to the Apple site and download the Combo Intel update. It's worked like a charm so far.

17. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

How would you copy certain files if you do a Full resinstall? Without the finder, I don't know how to back up files.

18. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

How would you copy certain files if you do a Full resinstall? Without the finder, I don't know how to back up files.
    Do you have an external drive? You could do a clone via Disk Utility. The easiest option is via a separate program. If you have a .Mac account you can use the Apple backup program. Otherwise, you'll have to download something. I'd recommend either SuperDuper for shareware or iBackup 2008 for freeware. There is something on SourceForge as well but I've never tried it. Here are searches for backup on MacUpdate and VersionTracker. Let me know if you need any more help. http://www.macupdate.com/search.php?...ckup&os=macosx http://www.versiontracker.com/php/qs...cosx&submit=Go

19. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Just realized another option, sorry. If you have a networked drive or computer you could use an FTP program to send them over.

20. Matt

Matt Senior member

might be a good time to go 10.5....