• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mac coat

MrUnderwood

Reaction score
@Wrenkin Thank you for that insight, would you care to elaborate about exact fabric? Is it the same as this APC coat in fabric?

I am definitely looking for something fairly light-weight that can worn in summer/autumn so therefore definitely not heavy at all like you describe.

Alfargo

Reaction score
If you have your measurements on hand, I would check Ebay, I picked up a Lightweight Mac/coat from Paul Stuart there. Also to piggy back on what others have mentioned pass the knee for the length..

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think it has to be past the knee, but IMO a mac should be at least knee or pretty close. A lot that mid-thigh stuff looked modern in like 2005-2010. I don't know if it was ever a good look, but it kinda dated now in that shrunken silhouette, skinny lapel way. And isn't even really that functional.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
@Wrenkin Thank you for that insight, would you care to elaborate about exact fabric? Is it the same as this APC coat in fabric?

I am definitely looking for something fairly light-weight that can worn in summer/autumn so therefore definitely not heavy at all like you describe.

I have the old fashioned bonded cotton (a rubber layer between two pieces of cotton). It’s a very interesting material, but only weather appropriate in my climate for about three weeks in the fall.

I agree that the APC coat is a little short.

MrUnderwood

Reaction score
I don't think it has to be past the knee, but IMO a mac should be at least knee or pretty close. A lot that mid-thigh stuff looked modern in like 2005-2010. I don't know if it was ever a good look, but it kinda dated now in that shrunken silhouette, skinny lapel way. And isn't even really that functional.

Can you please find some pictures that display what you mean then you say that "short" mid-thigh was popular mid 2005-2010, while what you think is being worn right now? I am generally curious what you are talking about.

I would like to see some good pictures of each silhouette. I have a bad notion about too long mac and trench coats, but i am very much looking forward to seeing your pictures.

@Wrenkin

Thank you. I will definitely avoid the traditional mackintosh in that case, that is definitely not what i am looking for.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can you please find some pictures that display what you mean then you say that "short" mid-thigh was popular mid 2005-2010, while what you think is being worn right now? I am generally curious what you are talking about.

I would like to see some good pictures of each silhouette. I have a bad notion about too long mac and trench coats, but i am very much looking forward to seeing your pictures.

@Wrenkin

Thank you. I will definitely avoid the traditional mackintosh in that case, that is definitely not what i am looking for.

It's all a matter of taste, but I think this silhouette looks good. You don't have to dress it up so much with a sport coat and tie.

Basically, the short mac came out of the early 2000s silhouette, where everything became slimmer and shorter. So, naturally, as the hem of everything else went up, so did raincoats. Again, it's all a matter of taste. I didn't really care for the look, but if someone thought the above was too fusty, they went for something more modern, which meant something shorter. But every reactionary modern thing eventually becomes dated, so the short mac (to me) looks like skinny lapels and short suit jackets.

APC as a brand is very much about that kind of look -- a sort of boyish silhouette. I don't mean that in a bad way, although I find the look kind of boring now.
'
Silhouettes are filling out again and a lot of stuff that's on the cutting edge of fashion is closer to what people on the CM side would consider traditional (and what 10 years ago would have been considered fusty). See Lemarie, Margiela, E. Tautz, etc. Here's a coat at COS, a much cheaper brand.

Here's Bruce, who's also wearing something knee length. I don't think a mac has to terminate literally at your knees, but I think it looks better when it's a bit longer than mid-thigh. APC is a very mid-thigh outerwear brand.

MrUnderwood

Reaction score
@dieworkwear

You do not disappoint, thank you! I get what you are saying now, and it doesnt as bad as i thought, but i reckon i prefer at least above knee. I might go for something just above knee, but i reckon there is a thin line between good looking and The Matrix (which doesnt suit me). It just seems quite difficult to find one with the right length. (which also suits my other requirement of it being thin (rain proof and wind protection) but possible to wear in the summer/autumn

MrUnderwood

Reaction score
Cordings have two different macs made by hancock who also has some nice looking macs.
If you are after a truly lightweigth Rain Coat check out ubr emperor.

We are slowly getting there. It has to have the silhouette of a regular clean cut mac coat, not the fabric and silhouette of a rain coat - too much technical aesthetics.
Thank you for the suggestion of Cordings!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
'Jump the gun' , a Brighton based brand, used to make a regular mac coat, very Michael Caine 'Palmer' like...
i just had a look at their website. They are still doing it. At 150 quids it won't break the bank...

BigBadBernard

Reaction score
This...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads