• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LVC vs. Japanese Repros

BourbonAndPeanuts

Reaction score
How do the repros made by LVC and the various Japanese brands (Sugar Cane, Denime, etc.) compare to each other in quality? Would it be worth going through the trouble to get Sugar Cane's 1947s instead of LVC's?

tweedlesinpink

Reaction score
I think the consensus is that LVC is a decent starter jean? It has a better price, and is easier to obtain, making it one of those things everyone sort of has. Canes and other repros are kind of extra chocolate fudge on top of the icecream. Lovely taste and delightful colour.

xcoldricex

Reaction score
i'd say the cane's 47 is a very nice jean to start with- on the lower end of the japanese denim price range.

BourbonAndPeanuts

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses.

It sounds like the general consensus is that the Japanese repros are better quality than LVC. Is that correct? I'm actually more interested in getting the highest quality (at a reaonable price) 1947 repro I can than just a good starter jean. What would the denim experts on this board recommend?

Reaction score
If you are looking for a 47 repro, I cannot imagine you would be disappointed in SC. DO IT!

I'd go for a one-wash state for your intro into the Japanese denim world----less stress.

DO IT NOW!

xcoldricex

Reaction score
if you decide to go with the sugar canes, drop me an email and i can get them for ya.

BourbonAndPeanuts

Reaction score
Great! I most likely will be.

How's their sizing? I wear a 31 waist for most brands. I own New Standards in 29 and they fit very nicely, though I'm thinking I should have gone with a 30 for a slightly looser fit. I would definitely want my Canes to fit normally though.

Reaction score
I would go for your usual size. They will be loose-ish---but they are an anti-fit jean. There's not a lot of ball-room, so sizing down may be a bad idea unless you've got small junk. Of course, these are supposed to be worn high, but that won't happen and that's for the best.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The qulaity of LVC and Sugar Cane is not that far apart. You have to start paying the big bills to get a noticable difference in quality.
Both companies have their cotton buy to a science as well as the thread and hardwear they use.
It's really up to you.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aren't LVCs lighter weight than Sugarcane? I've seen a pair of LVCs and I was very surprised at how light they were.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I belive most LVC and SC are 13.50 to 14oz. roughly.
Just because a denim is lighter weight doesn't make it a lesser quality product.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In this case, it seemed specifically less durable. Felt almost like 9oz.

rnrswitch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BourbonAndPeanuts
Great! I most likely will be.

How's their sizing? I wear a 31 waist for most brands. I own New Standards in 29 and they fit very nicely, though I'm thinking I should have gone with a 30 for a slightly looser fit. I would definitely want my Canes to fit normally though.

Go for a 31 and the jeans will fit the way they are supposed to. I second what ddml says about buying one wash, because you won't have to post questions on how to soak them or if you should wash with a special detergent, how long to soak, what temperature, if they need to be soaked in holy water and blessed by the clergy, etc etc etc.

BourbonAndPeanuts

Reaction score
If I decide to go with LVC's, what size would you recommend? I've heard the shrinkage with those is considerable which makes it confusing even though I can easily try them on.

I'm really torn between LVC and Sugar Cane. What would you all recommend? I do prefer the classic Levis back pocket design, I just don't know if that should be the deciding factor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads