• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LVC 501 1955 Deadstock shrinkage

RCastle

Reaction score
I bought 2 pairs five years ago - 34 x 36 raw. That was in the days when the tags said they would shrink 1 inch on the waist, which in fact they did and no more.

Now I want a new pair. Now the official line is the waist will shrink 2 inches. Having bought a pair of LVC 1947s last year I can believe that.

I'm pretty much the same shape as I was five years ago - 33 inch waist is perfect, 32 inch waist would require some serious working out.

Do I need to go for a 36 x36 or could I trust my look and hope for some judicious stretching.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The older LVC repro 1955 501 I bought shrunk 2 inches. I washed them exactly as the instructions indicated and they fit me perfectly. I bought a pair of LVC 1947 "Deadstock" 501's yesterday and I am expecting them to shrink at least 2 inches.

airfrogusmc

Reaction score
I'd say two inches in the waist and 3 maybe 4 in the length and it take a full 10 wet to dry cycles for full shrinkage and maybe 3 or 4 for the majority of it.

RJATL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by airfrogusmc
I'd say two inches in the waist and 3 maybe 4 in the length and it take a full 10 wet to dry cycles for full shrinkage and maybe 3 or 4 for the majority of it.

Does the looser fit of the 55 (compared to 47s) make any difference? I saw a pair of 36W 1955s and wondered if I might be able to make them work. I picked up a pair of 1947s and sized up to a 38W since I'm a 36W but wondered if the 55 might be a little more forgiving?

DocHunter

Reaction score
I'm looking for a pair of the selvage 47s if anyone knows where a brother can find them. I'll need a 32x30 after shrinking anf stretching too. What labeled size will give me those dimensions?

RJATL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHunter
I'm looking for a pair of the selvage 47s if anyone knows where a brother can find them. I'll need a 32x30 after shrinking anf stretching too. What labeled size will give me those dimensions?

Check out this thread.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...t=discontinued

You may see some references to Levis stores that still had them. You can also call one of the stores and they should be able to look in their system to see if any other stores have your size.

RJATL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJATL
Does the looser fit of the 55 (compared to 47s) make any difference? I saw a pair of 36W 1955s and wondered if I might be able to make them work. I picked up a pair of 1947s and sized up to a 38W since I'm a 36W but wondered if the 55 might be a little more forgiving?

Sorry to bump my own post but I had followed it with a response re where to find 1947s....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads