• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LV Taiga leather durability

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+100 on Lamberton Truex, it's an undervalued brand.

I actually like the bridle-leather like leather that LV offers. It comes in tan color but I don't know what the LV name for that is.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cornellian
Yes, the LT stuff looks nice, but I can't buy it online, and being in Europe, there aren't any shops. I had a look at Tanner Krolle, and they have a nice bag, but it's bridle leather and doesn't have an outside pocket. I sent the NYC LT store an email to see if they'd be willing to send some pictures.
Oh, okay, I didn't realize you were in Europe. Out of curiosity, does LV in Europe raise its prices as often as it does here? I haven't kept up with LV much in recent years, but dropping by my local store a few months back, I noticed that the Damier bag I bought in 2003 that was around $900 is now nearly $1360 or thereabouts. Yikes! Have you also considered Goyard, BV, or Borbonese?
Originally Posted by lee_44106
+100 on Lamberton Truex, it's an undervalued brand. I actually like the bridle-leather like leather that LV offers. It comes in tan color but I don't know what the LV name for that is.
Is that the Nomade collection?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
+100 on Lamberton Truex, it's an undervalued brand.

I actually like the bridle-leather like leather that LV offers. It comes in tan color but I don't know what the LV name for that is.

Nomade.

I'm not sure if you'll like how it ages though. I'll post a pic in a sec of my wallet.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3201713226_14286470ac.jpg

3201714592_9f604e7510.jpg

It's about 2-3 years old and all of that wear is purely from daily use.

Cornellian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Oh, okay, I didn't realize you were in Europe. In that case, paying with the Euro, maybe the pricing isn't QUITE as crazy as it is here. The Damier bag I bought in 2003 that was around $900 is now nearly $1360 or thereabouts. Yikes!

Does LV in Europe raise prices as often as it does here?

Have you also considered Goyard, BV, or Borbonese?

I'm not sure about the price increases. But I will say with the exchange rate, the bag in London/Vienna is $1580, compared to $1920 in the US.

I did consider BV but didn't see anything that caught my eye. I just checked out Goyard, and the logo wasn't doing much for me. Borbonese... never heard of it.

I've never purchased anything from LV, and part of me doesn't want to because of their pricing, mass-market mentality. But, I have yet to find anything else that I like as much.
eh.gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cornellian
I'm not sure about the price increases. But I will say with the exchange rate, the bag in London/Vienna is $1580, compared to $1920 in the US. I did consider BV but didn't see anything that caught my eye. I just checked out Goyard, and the logo wasn't doing much for me. Borbonese... never heard of it. I've never purchased anything from LV, and part of me doesn't want to because of their pricing, mass-market mentality. But, I have yet to find anything else that I like as much.
eh.gif

Yeah, at the end of the day, you've got to go with what you like. If you like the LV, it's a good bag, well made, and $1580 sounds a whole lot better than $1920 (though, like you, the recent "OMG HOT BAG!" status of LV makes it less desirable for me). Borbonese is an old Italian company with some nice duffles and luggage. They don't have a presence in the USA, but a lot in Italy especially. If you aren't familiar with it already, I wouldn't bother looking it up. I just thought maybe it was something you'd already seen. I've had a few luggage pieces from them when Alessandro dell'acqua was the Creative Director and they were nice. But, again, it's nothing to bother finding now. Good luck! Post pictures if you decide to pick up the Taiga or let us know how it holds up.
Originally Posted by triniboy27
3201713226_14286470ac.jpg
3201714592_9f604e7510.jpg
It's about 2-3 years old and all of that wear is purely from daily use.

See, like the Utah, I actually like the way it looks and how it has oxidized/darkened. The Nomade, I think, is relatively untreated and so the scratches, wear, etc. are a part of the appeal. It's sort of like Hermes Box calf... that stuff gets beat up easily, but it's not really drawback of the leather, just part of the "charm."

Cornellian

Reaction score
Thanks for all the postings guys. They are really helpful. If I go with the bag, I'll let you know how it holds up.

I also like the way these hides age... very nice.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
See, like the Utah, I actually like the way it looks and how it has oxidized/darkened. The Nomade, I think, is relatively untreated and so the scratches, wear, etc. are a part of the appeal. It's sort of like Hermes Box calf... that stuff gets beat up easily, but it's not really drawback of the leather, just part of the "charm."

Yup - that's why I went with the Nomade. Sort of like raw denim, I liked the concept of the wallet aging with wear and use.

I actually went into LV in Toronto to ask if there was any creams or treatments I should be using for the leather and they said no.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triniboy27
Yup - that's why I went with the Nomade. Sort of like raw denim, I liked the concept of the wallet aging with wear and use. I actually went into LV in Toronto to ask if there was any creams or treatments I should be using for the leather and they said no.
Agreed. I personally never bought the Nomade line because, at least in Japan (where I was living at the time) the Nomade bags were so expensive that it was out of sight for what it was (nearly $2500-3000.) BUT, a friend of mine had the large tote/brief (which I don't think is still in production) and it aged so nicely and looked just gorgeous.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads