• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

LV Taiga leather durability

Cornellian

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2007
Messages
403
Reaction score
3
Gents, I'm considering a weekend bag in this skin. Does anyone have any experience with it? The bag is going to get some wear; I'm curious how it's going to age. Thanks-
 

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2007
Messages
2,157
Reaction score
3
I have the LV Taiga "Viktor" messenger bag that I bought at their flagship store 2 years ago. Still looks like new. I always put it on the 'sac' it came with when I am not using it. The quality of the leather is good. It's durable and because of the texture, scratches are barely visible.
 

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
22,512
Reaction score
3,505
I'm not impressed with it. It's corrected grain, so scratches just turn white.
 

js4design

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
1,968
Reaction score
829
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I'm not impressed with it. It's corrected grain, so scratches just turn white.

i thought it was supposed to undergo a special dyeing process that turned the leather black all the way through? maybe this was just the epi leather, or maybe it was just the SA blowing smoke up my behind?
 

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2006
Messages
8,106
Reaction score
85
I'm not sure if the Taiga leather from recently is any different from Taiga leather from 10 years ago.

I have a bill-fold wallet, burgundy Taiga, purchased in 1997. I used it daily up til last year. Everyday it would be in my back pants pocket. It was never stuffed full of junk, but always had a few cards and some cash. Here's what it looks like today, in pretty decent shape on the outside and a few worn areas on the inside.




 

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
22,512
Reaction score
3,505
Originally Posted by js4design
i thought it was supposed to undergo a special dyeing process that turned the leather black all the way through? maybe this was just the epi leather, or maybe it was just the SA blowing smoke up my behind?

Well, my briefcase definitely shows white in some places where it's been scratched. But, I got it like five years ago, so maybe things have changed.
 

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2007
Messages
1,840
Reaction score
158
Originally Posted by lee_44106
I'm not sure if the Taiga leather from recently is any different from Taiga leather from 10 years ago.

I have a bill-fold wallet, burgundy Taiga, purchased in 1997. I used it daily up til last year. Everyday it would be in my back pants pocket. It was never stuffed full of junk, but always had a few cards and some cash. Here's what it looks like today, in pretty decent shape on the outside and a few worn areas on the inside.


I had exactly the same wallet as yours, but different colour. Mine was dark gray, almost black. I think I used for 7 yrs.

Mafoofan,
White in some places where it's been scratched doesn't means it is corrected grain.
And I don't think the Taiga was corrected grain, at least my wallet wasn't.
 

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Messages
14,980
Reaction score
1,044
Originally Posted by lee_44106
I'm not sure if the Taiga leather from recently is any different from Taiga leather from 10 years ago. I have a bill-fold wallet, burgundy Taiga, purchased in 1997. I used it daily up til last year. Everyday it would be in my back pants pocket. It was never stuffed full of junk, but always had a few cards and some cash. Here's what it looks like today, in pretty decent shape on the outside and a few worn areas on the inside.
They've fixed the problem of the lining flaking/coming away on the inside. I had a taiga from around the same time ('96) and it had the same issues. BUT, they realized it and have since corrected it. I'd say if you got a wallet more recently, it wouldn't do that on the inside. Overall, I've found the Taiga quite durable, probably besides Utah the most durable of the LV line. I don't think my items were corrected grain, but then again, I've certainly not seen every item they put out. And, I haven't purchased a new taiga item in several years. Nevertheless, if you want best quality, Taiga won't be the highest or best leather you can get for the money. BUT, it is a very decent and usable item that will hold up well to wear, if you don't mind paying LV's astronomical prices.
 

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2008
Messages
1,958
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Overall, I've found the Taiga quite durable, probably besides Utah the most durable of the LV line.

Utah? That leather is soft and scratches easily. the most durable leathers from Vuitton would be Epi and Taiga. I like Taiga a bit more just from the styling aspect. Then there is the canvas which holds up incredibly well.
 

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Messages
14,980
Reaction score
1,044
Originally Posted by emmanuel
Utah? That leather is soft and scratches easily. the most durable leathers from Vuitton would be Epi and Taiga. I like Taiga a bit more just from the styling aspect. Then there is the canvas which holds up incredibly well.
I liked the softness and "rugged" look that the Utah gets the more it is worn. Old Taiga can look... old. But, again, all are quite durable, just depends on the sort of look you are wanting, I guess. The canvas does hold up well... it's just a little too high profile, I think. I've had lots of Damier stuff and the new Damier Graphite (I think that's what it is called... anyway the black/charcoal pattern) looks REALLY nice, though these days LV is hardly my "go to" brand for leather goods.
 

Cornellian

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2007
Messages
403
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I liked the softness and "rugged" look that the Utah gets the more it is worn. Old Taiga can look... old. But, again, all are quite durable, just depends on the sort of look you are wanting, I guess.

The canvas does hold up well... it's just a little too high profile, I think. I've had lots of Damier stuff and the new Damier Graphite (I think that's what it is called... anyway the black/charcoal pattern) looks REALLY nice, though these days LV is hardly my "go to" brand for leather goods.


Yeah, it wasn't my first choice either, but I have yet to find a bag that matches the size, features and style. Most of the leather weekend bags are either large/heavy or they don't have an outside pocket. The Swaine A.B. weekenders are nice, but they are heavy, and a pain in the ass to get into.
 

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Messages
14,980
Reaction score
1,044
Originally Posted by Cornellian
Yeah, it wasn't my first choice either, but I have yet to find a bag that matches the size, features and style. Most of the leather weekend bags are either large/heavy or they don't have an outside pocket. The Swaine A.B. weekenders are nice, but they are heavy, and a pain in the ass to get into.
Have you checked out brands like Lambertson Truex? Their duffles are full grain leather, really quite nice, and probably 1/3 the price of the LV. They had a sale on Gilt a while back; too bad you weren't able to catch it. BUT, even at full retail, I find them an excellent quality-to-value ratio ($500-700). Traveling a lot, I've had duffles from all the major players and really after a certain level, it all just becomes brand and styling. True, Hermes or valextra would be the best "quality," but they also cost as much as a used car. LV stuff is good, but then also top-level luggage items from Prada are actually nice, too. Nevertheless, again, the name on them adds quite a premium. To me, an $1800 bag really needs to be WORTH the $1800... and overall I'd say I don't see the vast differences between them and something like LT. If you aren't sworn to the LV, at least give a look at LT, which I think is sold through Saks or neimans, though they have a few standalone stores in the USA. Here's an LT:
 

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2008
Messages
1,958
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I liked the softness and "rugged" look that the Utah gets the more it is worn. Old Taiga can look... old. But, again, all are quite durable, just depends on the sort of look you are wanting, I guess.


makes sense
 

Cornellian

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2007
Messages
403
Reaction score
3
Yes, the LT stuff looks nice, but I can't buy it online, and being in Europe, there aren't any shops. I had a look at Tanner Krolle, and they have a nice bag, but it's bridle leather and doesn't have an outside pocket.

I sent the NYC LT store an email to see if they'd be willing to send some pictures.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 26 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 132 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 249 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 119 15.6%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 68 8.9%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 47 6.2%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 23 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 21 2.7%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 16 2.1%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 8 1.0%
  • 100+

    Votes: 48 6.3%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
428,718
Messages
9,223,014
Members
193,606
Latest member
Ceejayblue
Top