• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LV Taiga Alexander or Zegna Heritage briefcase?

liuhao

Reaction score
i have been looking to get a briefcase and now my choices are nailed down between LV Alexander and Zegna Heritage. basically i need a briefcase that can carry small laptop (12-14" size), easy access passport pocket and some personal belongs (pen, cigarette, keys etc). it will be a daily bag so small and compact size is good. it will be with me in airplane when travel. it has to be business like but not too old and boring like those hard flip cover case. i needs both handle for hand carry and strap for shoulder carry. overall something classic but not too plain. btw i have been long time a leather lover and i recognize, appreciate and can judge good quality leather. i am also a fussy and detailed person that appreciate quality and careful design (and of course hate and very low tolerate to lousy design)

in fact there is another choice which is dunhill avorities leather single zip. all of them are measured similar in size although avorities looks too big for daily carry, and alexander and heritage look much smaller. functionality and practical wise of course avorities is the best for it's two outer magnetic pockets and many inner pockets. but i feel the leather is a bit dull in color, size (look and feel) too big for daily, and a bit vague in overall shape.

for alexander and heritage, size and functionality are very similar. both meet my requirement but there are subtle design differences such as handle and strap attachment. the big difference is the leather. taiga leather feels hard and sharp like vinyl while heritage uses softer calf leather (though not as soft as sheep skin). initial feeling is heritage is more comfortable to touch. and i understand that LV is really about bag and luggage and zegna is more about suit. and the alexander costs double of heritage.

just hope to hear you guys suggestions and opinions.

LV Alexander:

louis-vuitton-taiga-alexander.jpg

Zegna Heritage PC Case:

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been eyeing up the Alexander for about a year now, but I just can't rationalize the price. (Especially because of the vinyl-ish feel that you spoke of.)

That said, I do think it is the perfect bag in many ways in terms of functionality. It has the appropriate storage capacity/compartments, the ability to look strong and masculine and yet modern, and (as you mentioned) both the carrying abilities of a briefcase and a messenger.

Lately I've been trying to convince myself to go for the model that's nearly identical but slightly smaller. It would save me some money and look slightly less girly at the same time (because it doesn't offer a shoulder strap). I can't recall the name of it at the moment unfortunately.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dont fancy either. Berluti should look much better at the same price point compare to LV. And from pure functional point of view, Tumi isn't a bad choice either.

Jazzi

Reaction score
You only pay for the brand name in case of accessoires which is pathetic.
There are quality leather briefcases out there for way less..

John Ellis

Reaction score
Actually the Zegna looked pretty nice to me. I've been thinking about getting a new briefcase myself and I'm going to take a look at this one in the flesh.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jazzi
You only pay for the brand name in case of accessoires which is pathetic.
There are quality leather briefcases out there for way less..

so could you please delight us an reliable source to find quality leather briefcases for way less that's not fugly?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jazzi
You only pay for the brand name in case of accessoires which is pathetic. There are quality leather briefcases out there for way less..
Ah yes, people who can't afford it often say that. To the OP, I like that Zegna briefcase and Dunhill briefcases alot. I've seen the Dunhill you speak of in person, but I'm not sure if it's padded enough to store a laptop safely. IIRC, it was just a briefcase and not meant for laptops.

d16rr

Reaction score
Just got my Alexander, kick a$$ bag, love it!

FYI - upgraded from a Hedgren nylon.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer the LV, the handles on the zegna look kind of blobby. I like the design of the LV as well, I have a Burberry bag pretty much identical to it and it is very convenient. If you are using it for travelling and to store a laptop would you really want the leather to be that soft? I would think PVD or a more rough leather would be better.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the look of both. One thing I like about LV is that over the years I have bought black textured leather products, like epi leather, LV for my wife and daughter and the stuff wears like iron. Then when it does show signs of wear, I have taken it in to LV and they repair it for a nominal amount. For example, I had the handles and the leather draw string replaced on two different purses. They returned them looking like new. So, if you do buy the LV, know that they can back it up with quality repairs.

superfans124

Reaction score
just between the two, aethetically I like them both, so I'd pick the cheaper one :p

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Ah yes, people who can't afford it often say that.

Quoted for truth. Quoted twice for instigation.

Anyway, I would go with alexander. Its functional. I dont really like how it looks though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads