• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luxury Prices Are Falling; the Sky, Too

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I could see a lot of fashion brands get in trouble, too, without Russian/Arab dollars. Gianfranco Ferre, Versace, Cavalli, etc. These are pretty much the ONLY places these brands are expanding...

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm eagerly awaiting the drastic discounts.
bounce2.gif

Hopefully all this economic bad news will also deter a lot of these wanna-be designers from even venturing out in the first place.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
Yes. The ones that survive will be the ones with the smartest branding and/or largest margins -- Tom Ford, John Lobb RTW, Armani, Kiton, Thomas Pink, now Grenson/Loake... The Edward Greens, Chester Barries etc. are the ones who might not make it.

What will you all do if some of the beloved SF brands fold? Buy everything you can get your hands on while they are still around or sit on your cash and let your purchasing power increase?

In orther words, will the rarity of these items after the company is gone trump deflation?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
I'm eagerly awaiting the drastic discounts.
bounce2.gif
Hopefully all this economic bad news will also deter a lot of these wanna-be designers from even venturing out in the first place.

Don't a lot of the big stores prefer to send drastically reduced merchandise to special bargain bin places (usually in remote areas) rather than let the regulars feast on super discounts?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nate10184
What will you all do if some of the beloved SF brands fold? Buy everything you can get your hands on while they are still around or sit on your cash and let your purchasing power increases? In orther words, will the rarity of these items after the company is gone trump deflation?
igenthatfy4.png
This could be the end of the iGent as we know him

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106

Why is that a good thing?

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Why is that a good thing?

So, I take it I'm not the only one who's excited to finally get my hands on some discount Eric Glennie?

Cut-out jeans w/ pocket tie coming to a WAYWT SW&D thread near you!

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by farfisa23
If the Russians and Arabs lose any more value from their petro-dollars, I think a lot of these high end brands will go under.

Will that also mean the end of that Scabal cloth with the gold woven into it? I was so ready to get a broad-shouldered double breasted Gordon Gekko suit made of that stuff for my next business trip to Moscow . . . .

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd guess that the post-Christmas London sales are going to be Cecil B. DeMille specials.

Mathew J

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
And 3,5K suit? 800$ shoe?

Personally I see this as a good thing as well, it is about time the general public started becomming aware of markups for luxury goods and sales become more prevalent...as someone who buys a good deal of needless items I am always astounded by the sheer number of people who don't shop around to get the best possible price.

I am really curious if this downturn will negatively effect Rolex, that would be funny as they are notorious for constantly marking up prices year after year.

chrome_dout

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mathew J
Personally I see this as a good thing as well, it is about time the general public started becomming aware of markups for luxury goods and sales become more prevalent...as someone who buys a good deal of needless items I am always astounded by the sheer number of people who don't shop around to get the best possible price.

I am really curious if this downturn will negatively effect Rolex, that would be funny as they are notorious for constantly marking up prices year after year.

Looking forward to falling prices as well. And people still wear Rolex?

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrome_dout
Looking forward to falling prices as well. And people still wear Rolex?
Strictly the ignorant. Or status conscious. Or nouveau riche. Or those who fall prey to its advertising. In a nutshell, the Tag Heuer for the slightly richer. (this all only applies to newer models, not models with some form of historical/hobbyist 'significance' e.g. the bubbleback)
smile.gif

djf881

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Strictly the ignorant. Or status conscious. Or nouveau riche. Or those who fall prey to its advertising.

In a nutshell, the Tag Heuer for the slightly richer.

(this all only applies to newer models, not models with some form of historical/hobbyist 'significance' e.g. the bubbleback)

Well, I wear the new GMTIIc. So thanks. What should I be wearing? An orange Omega? A Reverso? A Breitling? A Panerai?

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
Its a about time I say, I can only hope this crisis is the death neel for the $500 tennis shoe and the $1,200 velour jumper.

+100

There is nothing more idiotic than a fabric mills from China pretending to be designer brands and charging bumpkins arm and a leg for their spongy cashmers.

I much rather prefer to see 1000% luxury tax imposed on that crap ,so that social programs would benefit from mindless consumption rather than Mr. Lauren, Cucinelli or Loro Piana.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads