Luxury Leather Glove Recommendation

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kronik, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

2. stach

stach Senior member

I'm curious, has anyone else had the problem with cashmere-lined gloves that their finger nails eventually cut through the cashmere?

I have an old pair like that. I actually prefer them, unless it's extremely cold. The index fingertips have worn away and it makes them more dexterous.

3. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

I have a number of kid leather gloves lined in cashmere that I got at NM in black, brown, tan and burgundy.

4. jtang

jtang Senior member

Let's get this discussion going again.

I'm watching some auctions for Coach gloves, any more feedback on how they are in terms of longevity and warmth?

5. RJmanbearpig

RJmanbearpig Senior member

The best gloves I have tried are those by Mary Beyer and her company Lavabre-Cadet, sold through Aubercy and through Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier. The hand-stitching is better than any others I've tried or seen (Sermoneta really doesn't measure up), as are the leathers. Merola from Rome are also excellent and a good value. Chester Jefferies has good customer service and can make things up to order, but their leathers aren't quite as nice. Hermes is shockingly expensive and seems to be emphasizing peccary and alligator gloves. Liste Rouge is almost as expensive as Hermes and, true to Liste Rouge form, promises a lot more than it can deliver.

6. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

The best gloves I have tried are those by Mary Beyer and her company Lavabre-Cadet, sold through Aubercy and through Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier. The hand-stitching is better than any others I've tried or seen (Sermoneta really doesn't measure up), as are the leathers. Merola from Rome are also excellent and a good value. Chester Jefferies has good customer service and can make things up to order, but their leathers aren't quite as nice. Hermes is shockingly expensive and seems to be emphasizing peccary and alligator gloves. Liste Rouge is almost as expensive as Hermes and, true to Liste Rouge form, promises a lot more than it can deliver.

I liked the Peccary gloves I bought at Venanzi. Any idea who made them?

7. RJmanbearpig

I liked the Peccary gloves I bought at Venanzi. Any idea who made them?

I have never been to Venanzi.

8. dopey

I have never been to Venanzi.
    Not much, but here is my post on them.

9. Young Pro

Young Pro Senior member

I'm a fan of Dent gloves

10. RJmanbearpig

Not much, but here is my post on them.
    I think a lot of glove makers are still out there, particularly in Italy. Where were yours made?

Good peccary is incredibly soft.

11. dopey

I think a lot of glove makers are still out there, particularly in Italy. Where were yours made?

Good peccary is incredibly soft.

Italy. The gloves are very soft. They also say they are made of American Peccary, which I thought was an odd thing to put on the tag. I assume they assume I would think it superior, which I would if I knew that it was.

12. AgentQ

AgentQ Senior member

Italy. The gloves are very soft. They also say they are made of American Peccary, which I thought was an odd thing to put on the tag. I assume they assume I would think it superior, which I would if I knew that it was.

How odd. Peccaries live in South America last I checked.

Also, I got in touch with Chester Jeffries to see if they offer peccary as an option, and indeed they do. The 'Man About Town' starts at 89 GBP, and the 'Kensignton,' 103 GBP. These are unlined.

Still not a bad price, I'd say. I'm waiting on a pair from Iliari -- hopefully those are good too.

13. RJmanbearpig

How odd. Peccaries live in South America last I checked.

Also, I got in touch with Chester Jeffries to see if they offer peccary as an option, and indeed they do. The 'Man About Town' starts at 89 GBP, and the 'Kensignton,' 103 GBP. These are unlined.

Still not a bad price, I'd say. I'm waiting on a pair from Iliari -- hopefully those are good too.

Chester Jefferies' peccary seems to be carpincho -- known to some as "peccary suede", sort of a spotted suede. FYI.

14. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

I've used Madova for years...must have two dozen pairs.

- B