• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luxury fashion brands that are actually pretty good

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A lot of luxury fashion brands get a lot of hate on here and a lot of threads are started to discuss the hate. A lot of it makes sense as far as suits go, but a lot of these brands are not suitmakers and don't claim to be. Lets discuss some of the fashion brands and see what really great products they actually do have and not be snobs about it. Below are some of the brands I like and some of the reasons why:

Bottega Veneta

Started in 1966 by Michele Taddei and Renzo Zengiaro who employeed leather artisans who popularized a leather weave that is used in many of its elegant shaped, logoless products. The company kind of went to crap in the 90's where it brand whored itself with logos and such and became more of what we think "fashion-forward" to be. When it was bought in the early 2000's by Gucci group the director took it back to its roots and it is kind of awesome. I cannot really comment on their actual menswear, but their leather goods have elegant shapes, tons of handwork and exotic leathers done tastefully.

270567_VN03B_1362_A_600x600.jpg

222083_VAHE9_2902_A_600x600.jpg

113993_V5224_2187_A_600x600.jpg

Louis Vuitton

I know, I know, but hear me out. It was started by, well Louis Vuitton in 1854 as a luggage making company. Aside from its annoying ad campaigns and Nazi affiliations they do have some very tasteful designs. Like the above it has to do with leather goods. Look past the ugly monograms and you will find products with their different signature embossed grain leathers.

http://www.luxury-louisvuitton.com/images/M30002.jpg[img]
[img]http://www.studioantiques.com/november10/1127/1127_vuitton_8.jpg
louis-vuitton-florin-wallet-m3111x.jpg

image00215.jpg

Versace

Gianni Versace started the company in 1978. To me Versace has always been one of those "lifestyle" brands, not really just clothes and bags and such. Their menswear has a monochrome look to it, which I personally like, however it distiguishes itself by introducing a lot of patterns, textures, and weaves. Now, I have absolutely no eye for women's clothes. To me anything that is not jeans and a tank top, or tee shirt looks especially good on a woman, but I enjoy the patterns that Versace puts on their dresses. It makes them stand apart from the lack of pattern and multi-colors that so often appears in woman's wearable high-fashion. Simple is always great, but for the more extravagant yet chic look it is pretty cool. To me, honstly, Versace has always existed as a more of a home goods brand. Their designs are colorful and luxurious and remind me of the Italian version of Hermes.

288127496_S949R2_testata_tableware.jpg

396156660_J75T43_FD4CCO01396-VAR2.jpg

preview.aspx

c2a215d186aeab8b3e6496294d72efc725104e72.jpg

Hedi Slimane's Dior Homme

I will always have something for this waif silhouette and simplicity in my heart. I think it might be the reason for me moving away from steetwear and interesting in suiting. Growing up as a musician the rocker image of the suit was always prominent to me and this was a pretty natural transition when I was in college. Their suits were pretty good too. Fully canvassed, horn buttons, trim, clean.

diorh2.PNG

Hermes

I kind of just want to say "Duh" for the craftmanship in their products.

Tom Ford

Most know the name and the products, but I have to respect him for not only being a creative man, but a good businessman. As far as I can tell from handling his products and a lot of reading on this forum and Jeffrey's blog his suits are very well made and have a lot of handwork for RTW stuff. I enjoy his designs; the dramatic peaked lapels and 70's style roped shoulders. The fabrics are also very beautiful. It seems like he did right in having Zegna make his suits.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paul Stuart is my single biggest inspiration for getting into men's fashion. I love everything they do and their catalogs are like art books.

I am also a HUGE fan of Brunello Cucinelli.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, but they are not really what I am talking about in this thread. They aren't really "luxury" designers.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paul Stuart and Brunello Cucinelli aren't considered Luxury designers? Damn, I am feeeling poorer by the minute. :(

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Basically, the brands that iBankers, drug dealers, and young Japanese women buy.

Seriously, I'd put brands like the ones I mentioned way above stuff like LV and Versace (but I am a fan of Bottega Veneta and TF)

Last edited:

Grenadier

Reaction score

Seriously, I'd put brands like the ones I mentioned way above stuff like LV and Versace (but I am a fan of Bottega Veneta and TF)

Sans doute, but I think that when the OP meant "luxury," he meant "luxury," based on price tag and Hollywood cachet, not luxury based taste and craftsmanship.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, but this is not a "what is better" thread. It is which of these brands do you actually like some of their products. I would agree with you, however we are leaving brands like those out for now. Notice how I didn't mention Borreli, or Kiton, Brioni, or Finnamore... Those are not in the same category socially, only economically.

JakeLA

Reaction score
Chloe is beautiful, understated, and logo-free.

That guy who shot Versace did the world a favor.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Even I wouldn't say something like that. I don't know much about Chloe, I thought it was just women's clothes?

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

no he did nto now we have donatella.

explicit

Reaction score
i like this thread. many doors opened for me that i didnt know about previously

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Of the older houses, Balmain (haterz gon' hate) and Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you've covered the 'best picks', so to speak.
What about Alfred Dunhill? They went through a very tacky stage with heavy branding targeted at the Asian market. The suits and shoes seem to oscillate between ****** and rather delightful.
But the 'Tradition' line of leather goods are beautiful, as are the lighters, pens, and the new range of JLC-movement watches. Overall, Dunhill is like the Hermes of England, I suppose, but with a lot of ups and downs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads