• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luxuries you can live without

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
there is importance in the attitude of the pirchase, or the ownership, too.

I have a friend, who studied to be a concert pianist and ended up an engineer, who recently bought a piano for about the same amount that my mother's house sold for when she retired recently. he has some money, he is not wealthy but very very comfortable, and this required some consideration on his part, but he and he wife, and their son, all play, and he wanted the best piano he could get. I happened to be traveling in germany with him when he bought it, or I am sure that I never would have known how much it cost.

I have another friend, who has a nice amount of money from his family and has never really worked in his life. his parents are both in the music business, and they have two baby grand pianos in their living room, with the room set up like alittle concert hall. they have music played in that room twice a year, maybe, but this way they can always comment on the musical background of the family when somebody is suprised at teh two pianos. the only real pleasure they get from the pianos is the attention that they atract.

the first guy I think is pretty cool. the second a putz.

mrprlover

Reaction score
Drizz...since you brought up cars... Why not go with an M5? Half the wait and cost. I think I wil stick with my M3 for a couple more years before jumping to the 5. Is the wait for an F360 really that long? I would assume this is if you want it spanking new. Wouldnt the smarter thing be to get a used one? e

linux_pro

Reaction score
Drizz...since you brought up cars... Why not go with an M5? Half the wait and cost. I think I wil stick with my M3 for a couple more years before jumping to the 5. Is the wait for an F360 really that long? I would assume this is if you want it spanking new. Wouldnt the smarter thing be to get a used one? e
I'll smoke that M3 and M5 in my SLK-350. Heh heh.

linux_pro

Reaction score
there is importance in the attitude of the pirchase, or the ownership, too.

I have a friend, who studied to be a concert pianist and ended up an engineer, who recently bought a piano for about the same amount that my mother's house sold for when she retired recently. he has some money, he is not wealthy but very very comfortable, and this required some consideration on his part, but he and he wife, and their son, all play, and he wanted the best piano he could get. I happened to be traveling in germany with him when he bought it, or I am sure that I never would have known how much it cost.

I have another friend, who has a nice amount of money from his family and has never really worked in his life. his parents are both in the music business, and they have two baby grand pianos in their living room, with the room set up like alittle concert hall. they have music played in that room twice a year, maybe, but this way they can always comment on the musical background of the family when somebody is suprised at teh two pianos. the only real pleasure they get from the pianos is the attention that they atract.

the first guy I think is pretty cool. the second a putz.
What type of piano did your friend buy? I love pianos. I once dated a woman for far too long simply because she would regularly invite me over to listen to her recite Rachmaninoff on her Steinway baby grand (she lived in a warehouse, and had the most gorgeous piano, outside of that she owned almost nothing).

We had a beautiful Bosendorfer when I was a child, a nice concert grand that I learned piano on. My father plays quite well, and he would regularly use it. While it was quite expensive, it was also beautiful and what it added to the house was probably quite worth the price.

mrprlover

Reaction score
Whoa whoa linux take it easy on me im only 24.
Get back at me in a couple years. =]

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
mrplover,

Buying a used ferrari isn't very smart, as the warranties are very short, and if anything breaks, you're looking at enormous repair costs, it's a very expensive car to own. The waitlist was so long for 360 owners that many of them are now on the waiting list for 430s as they were automatically upgraded for the same price, which was nice for them, but they won't see their cars for awhile yet. I'm referring to the convertible, the coupe is not that hard to get.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(globetrotter @ Feb. 26 2005,13:50) there is importance in the attitude of the pirchase, or the ownership, too. I have a friend, who studied to be a concert pianist and ended up an engineer, who recently bought a piano for about the same amount that my mother's house sold for when she retired recently. he has some money, he is not wealthy but very very comfortable, and this required some consideration on his part, but he and he wife, and their son, all play, and he wanted the best piano he could get. I happened to be traveling in germany with him when he bought it, or I am sure that I never would have known how much it cost. I have another friend, who has a nice amount of money from his family and has never really worked in his life. his parents are both in the music business, and they have two baby grand pianos in their living room, with the room set up like alittle concert hall. they have music played in that room twice a year, maybe, but this way they can always comment on the musical background of the family when somebody is suprised at teh two pianos. the only real pleasure they get from the pianos is the attention that they atract. the first guy I think is pretty cool. the second a putz.
What type of piano did your friend buy? Â I love pianos. Â I once dated a woman for far too long simply because she would regularly invite me over to listen to her recite Rachmaninoff on her Steinway baby grand (she lived in a warehouse, and had the most gorgeous piano, outside of that she owned almost nothing). We had a beautiful Bosendorfer when I was a child, a nice concert grand that I learned piano on. Â My father plays quite well, and he would regularly use it. Â While it was quite expensive, it was also beautiful and what it added to the house was probably quite worth the price.
sorry, I don't know,except that it was German made. we were at a trade show in Germany and he went off for a day and came back looking like a guy who had jsut spent a little more than he could affird on something and blurted out "holy ****, I just spent 50K on a piano".

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What type of piano did your friend buy? Â
If it was German, my guess is that it was a Steingraeber & Sohn.
168.jpg

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...when I splurge on something, I tend to go with a small operation that will return that revenue to the economy.  That's essential to a healthy national economy, and hence, my job....

...I'll smoke that M3 and M5 in my SLK-350.  Heh heh.
So when did Mercedes Benz become a small local operation?

heh heh...

PHV

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter,Feb. 26 2005,13:50
there is importance in the attitude of the pirchase, or the ownership, too. I have a friend, who studied to be a concert pianist and ended up an engineer, who recently bought a piano for about the same amount that my mother's house sold for when she retired recently. he has some money, he is not wealthy but very very comfortable, and this required some consideration on his part, but he and he wife, and their son, all play, and he wanted the best piano he could get. I happened to be traveling in germany with him when he bought it, or I am sure that I never would have known how much it cost. I have another friend, who has a nice amount of money from his family and has never really worked in his life. his parents are both in the music business, and they have two baby grand pianos in their living room, with the room set up like alittle concert hall. they have music played in that room twice a year, maybe, but this way they can always comment on the musical background of the family when somebody is suprised at teh two pianos. the only real pleasure they get from the pianos is the attention that they atract. the first guy I think is pretty cool. the second a putz.
What type of piano did your friend buy? Â I love pianos. Â I once dated a woman for far too long simply because she would regularly invite me over to listen to her recite Rachmaninoff on her Steinway baby grand (she lived in a warehouse, and had the most gorgeous piano, outside of that she owned almost nothing). We had a beautiful Bosendorfer when I was a child, a nice concert grand that I learned piano on. Â My father plays quite well, and he would regularly use it. Â While it was quite expensive, it was also beautiful and what it added to the house was probably quite worth the price.
One cannot understand true luxury until you've played a Faziolli....

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(linux_pro @ Feb. 26 2005,14:31)
Originally Posted by globetrotter,Feb. 26 2005,13:50
there is importance in the attitude of the pirchase, or the ownership, too. I have a friend, who studied to be a concert pianist and ended up an engineer, who recently bought a piano for about the same amount that my mother's house sold for when she retired recently. he has some money, he is not wealthy but very very comfortable, and this required some consideration on his part, but he and he wife, and their son, all play, and he wanted the best piano he could get. I happened to be traveling in germany with him when he bought it, or I am sure that I never would have known how much it cost. I have another friend, who has a nice amount of money from his family and has never really worked in his life. his parents are both in the music business, and they have two baby grand pianos in their living room, with the room set up like alittle concert hall. they have music played in that room twice a year, maybe, but this way they can always comment on the musical background of the family when somebody is suprised at teh two pianos. the only real pleasure they get from the pianos is the attention that they atract. the first guy I think is pretty cool. the second a putz.
What type of piano did your friend buy? I love pianos. I once dated a woman for far too long simply because she would regularly invite me over to listen to her recite Rachmaninoff on her Steinway baby grand (she lived in a warehouse, and had the most gorgeous piano, outside of that she owned almost nothing). We had a beautiful Bosendorfer when I was a child, a nice concert grand that I learned piano on. My father plays quite well, and he would regularly use it. While it was quite expensive, it was also beautiful and what it added to the house was probably quite worth the price.
One cannot understand true luxury until you've played a Faziolli....
Don't tempt Koji, I think that's his next move. Jon.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, you think these things because you are an a**hole. Some other members might agree about the education thing, but how can youhave that attitude towards your own family? I have a suggestion. Why don't you tell them about this attitude. Please post the results.
LA Guy, I don't know Ernest's remarks shock you. Remember that heat wave that Europe a while back...the one that killed off 20,000 of the French? It was widely reported that hundreds of the French informed authorities to keep their relatives on deep freeze so that they could finished their annual holidays before they want back home to bury their relatives.

Nothing about the French shocks me anymore.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Family = what do you call family? It is sensless to be the slave of people just because you are in the same familiy. For exemple you didn't choose your brother. If you don't like him (you could have never been his friend if he hadn't been your brother) I don't see why he should be a priority more than your dog or even your ties in your life.
wow.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads