1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Luxuries you can live without

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ambulance Chaser, Feb 23, 2005.

1. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Senior member

My 4th car (the Jag convertible), my jet, the butler, my mistress, the home in Vail, the flat in London, my yacht in Monte Carlo....lets see, what else, those are some tough ones, but if I must make do, well I will try.

2. WhysGuy

WhysGuy Member

Maslows theory is an excellent point. There are also cultural norms regarding luxuries. For instance a construction worker who shows up for work in a Kiton suit would be laughed off the job site, it would not elevate his status at all.

Someone like myself, I no longer feel that expensive suits and shoes are a luxury anymore. In fact, I feel my career may have experienced a slow period with no growth simply because I did not fit into the cultural norms of the positions I was striving for. When I was younger, I probably erred on the side of saving too much and living a lifestyle of denial.

Websites like this have taught me a lot and now I'm starting to reap the rewards of everything I've learned here.

I agree with linux_pro, save and invest a minimum of 25% of your gross and enjoy the rest.

3. housemaidsknee

housemaidsknee Senior member

don't know if this has already been said - but what i've learnt about america is:

its not the high cost of living, its the cost of living too high.

4. MCA

MCA Well-Known Member

Even though this thread is far from being a chocolate addict's discussion, allow me to make a couple of observations:

As regards the exclusivity of Chuao/Porcelana Cacao, this is of course relative. True Chuao beans are produced only in Chuao. However, like the Porcelana and other original varieties from Venezuela, lower quality hybrids of these beans are cultivated all over the place and are still called Chuao and Porcelana. Furthermore, makers combine the Cacao with lesser varieties and still label their products with the exclusive bean names. I used to visit Chuao very frequently, mostly because of the beautiful beaches (cough cough women), and had the opportunity to tour the Chuao haciendas. They are tiny and also their production. There's a handful of European houses who access the production,  but personally I'd see a large etcetera of producers and mass availabilty with skepticism.  The small houses that manage to get the beans do so thanks  to their good connections at the source (E.g. California's Chuao Chocolatier), whereas relatively large firms use their purchasing power. Small size is usually good, but not always.

Both Porcelana and Chuao are top varieties; although the latter gets more votes; which one is best depends merely on personal preference. I prefer the Chuao because it is a bit stronger. As to the rarer types from Madagascar, these are new to me. It might be an American variety in the first place, as Cacao is originary from the coasts of the Caribbean and crossed the Atlantic after colonization.

5. Horace

Horace Senior member

(WhysGuy @ Feb. 28 2005,13:52) Maslows theory is an excellent point. There are also cultural norms regarding luxuries. Â For instance a construction worker who shows up for work in a Kiton suit would be laughed off the job site, it would not elevate his status at all. Â Someone like myself, I no longer feel that expensive suits and shoes are a luxury anymore. In fact, I feel my career may have experienced a slow period with no growth simply because I did not fit into the cultural norms of the positions I was striving for. Â When I was younger, I probably erred on the side of saving too much and living a lifestyle of denial. Websites like this have taught me a lot and now I'm starting to reap the rewards of everything I've learned here. I agree with linux_pro, save and invest a minimum of 25% of your gross and enjoy the rest.
    don't know if this has already been said - but what i've learnt about america is: Â its not the high cost of living, its the cost of living too high.
    You probably have a point. I also think there is, in general, a silly amount of consumption -- and it's most often quantity rather than quality.

6. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Sorry for getting on board this late in the conversation but isn't every "luxury" by definition "something that you can live without" or it would be a necessity and not a luxury?

7. KevinR

KevinR Well-Known Member

I got into this conversation pretty late. It has been pretty interesting. Of course your personnel finances plays a role in this(if you are living within or outside of your means). And as a person, what your interests are and the importance placed on that. I try not to get too involved in some pursuits, but am guilty of having to many hobbies. I do try to find the least expensive with the highest quality in whatever I am pursuing.

Pots: Guilty to degree. I bought the Emeril pots made by All Clad. For the money, very nice and the same warranty.
    Jeans: Not Guilty- Wear them alot, but when you teach welding, well I think you get the idea.
    Knives: Guilty, love my wustoff
    Strollers: We returned two received at shower for one nicer one. Kind of Guilty
    Sheets: Not Guilty, but that would change if I let my wife loose.
    Sneakers: Not Guilty. I don't even own a pair.
    Watches: Wish I was guilty. Saving my pennies.
    Chocolates: Not Guilty
    Scotch: Not Guilty, bbut I mooch off of my friend who is guilty.
    Bathrobes: Not Guilty
    T.V.: Not Guilty. Up until last year, I hadn't bought anything in 12 years.
    Wine Glasses: Not Guilty, but I love wine.