• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luxuries you can live without

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where do you get your Nudie and Corpus?

LA and shipped from Europe by my bro. The Fred Segal HTC area has both, plus Acne action, Sunday (a brand I haven't even heard of,) and lots more stuff. I'm going to post a "Best 10 pairs of jeans" soon, so please bear with me.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I buy many of the things on that list, but don't really have a problem with it, I think the author has an agenda, and while I do agree with the core premise that people shouldn't spend beyond their means if they can't afford it, many of the goods in question ARE substantially better than lower priced versions. Wine can definitely be a big drain on the pocketbook though... but wine storage can be even worse... after I bought my two Eurocave s and had a storage capacity of 1000 or so bottles, I thought I would never use it up... yeah, right. I have cases stacked next to and around the Eurocaves now, I need to get some off-site storage soon
sad.gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well i totally disagree on the point about chocolate

as a self confessed chocoholic, there is a big difference between premium hand made chocolate from quality ingredients and a hershey bar (godiva is mass manufactured crap in my book, more marketing than great chocolate)

but i digress
Have you ever had Venezuelan chocolates? I just ordered some El Rey chocolate, am interested to see how it is.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(hermes @ Feb. 23 2005,08:47) well i totally disagree on the point about chocolate as a self confessed chocoholic, there is a big difference between premium hand made chocolate from quality ingredients and a hershey bar (godiva is mass manufactured crap in my book, more marketing than great chocolate) but i digress
Have you ever had Venezuelan chocolates? Â I just ordered some El Rey chocolate, am interested to see how it is.
off the top of my head it sounded funny to me, but there is no reason for them not to be great. I have to ask my wife, I've never heard of them, but she has spent time in Venesaula and loves chocolates.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Venezuelan chocolates are supposed to be some of the greatest in the world, albeit fairly unknown. You can read about it in the latest CN Traveler, I believe it is the first time their chocolate industry has been featured, but they have been making chocolates since the 17th century. Apparently they were incredibly popular in Europe in the 18th and 19th century, but the discovery of oil in the earliest 20th century made it far more profitable to go that route.

aarghh

Reaction score
I'm surprised that fountain pens didn't make the article. After all, a Bic can write more reliably, what?

When they come to take me away to the guillotine, I shall be clutching my Pelikan through rigor mortis.

As an ancient Arab proverb says -"Take what you want - you'll pay for it"

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(imageWIS @ Feb. 23 2005,10:37)
Originally Posted by justlurkingthanks,Feb. 23 2005,13:27
This is an effective article because it contains at least a few things, if not most of the things, that the reader can feel superior about. Reader: "She doesn't know what she's talking about. I have a Rolex that will appreciate in value. But I would never be so foolish as to get a $600 bathrobe." This article's argument has always been in existence. But where would we be without the luxuries, or the leading edge of consumerism? These items become the standards and we stand on that to reach even higher. That's America, damn it. But I still find this story a good reminder to hold onto a sense of perspective. BTW, that photo indicates Ms. Dunleavy needs to ratchet up her spending in the hair care aisle.
Not all Rolexes will appreciate in value however, thinking that they will is foolish. However, the value of a Rolex will last much longer than that of a bathrobe. Just try selling a used bathrobe for $600. It's kind of like the Bijan suit for $14k and change, its on sale for $700, hardly a spitting image of the original retail price. Whereas a $4000 watch might be worth only $2500 if you try to sell it, but it's a better percentage than the Bijan suit, or a Bathrobe; less money is lost. Jon.
I had two bathrobes made, silk inside, cashmere outside, custom, for about $80 a piece a few years ago in india (kachins). they will probrably be all the bathrobes that I need for the rest of my life. a little luxury at a very little price.
$80 is hardly $600. Jon.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(globetrotter @ Feb. 23 2005,14:19)
Originally Posted by imageWIS,Feb. 23 2005,10:37
Originally Posted by justlurkingthanks,Feb. 23 2005,13:27
This is an effective article because it contains at least a few things, if not most of the things, that the reader can feel superior about. Reader: "She doesn't know what she's talking about. I have a Rolex that will appreciate in value. But I would never be so foolish as to get a $600 bathrobe." This article's argument has always been in existence. But where would we be without the luxuries, or the leading edge of consumerism? These items become the standards and we stand on that to reach even higher. That's America, damn it. But I still find this story a good reminder to hold onto a sense of perspective. BTW, that photo indicates Ms. Dunleavy needs to ratchet up her spending in the hair care aisle.
Not all Rolexes will appreciate in value however, thinking that they will is foolish. However, the value of a Rolex will last much longer than that of a bathrobe. Just try selling a used bathrobe for $600. It's kind of like the Bijan suit for $14k and change, its on sale for $700, hardly a spitting image of the original retail price. Whereas a $4000 watch might be worth only $2500 if you try to sell it, but it's a better percentage than the Bijan suit, or a Bathrobe; less money is lost. Jon.

I had two bathrobes made, silk inside, cashmere outside, custom, for about $80 a piece a few years ago in india (kachins). they will probrably be all the bathrobes that I need for the rest of my life. a little luxury at a very little price.
$80 is hardly $600. Jon.
jon, my point - I can't imagine a $600 robe is any better than my $80 robe. the trick is to find these kind of luxuries that are reasonably priced.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I read that BA had some of the prettiest girls in the world, but they were severely religious so wouldn't date anyone or go out without a chaperone
sad.gif
One funny story that I read (in Maxim UK, a couple years ago) was that the same situation existed in Colombia, so in really rural areas, young boys would copulate with donkeys... i remember the Maxim people going to remote areas to witness this act...

joshuam

Reaction score
Jon: Do you know of any places around South Florida that have the (Argentinian) chocolates for sale? I'd be interested in trying some. If not, with all the Venezuelans & Argentines living here in Miami some place must have them. -Josh edited for clarity. Thanks drizzt Â
smile.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I read that BA had some of the prettiest girls in the world, but they were severely religious so wouldn't date anyone or go out without a chaperone
sad.gif
One funny story that I read (in Maxim UK, a couple years ago) was that the same situation existed in Colombia, so in really rural areas, young boys would copulate with donkeys... i remember the Maxim people going to remote areas to witness this act...
Drzzt, I think that if you wanted a good chance to try out your firearms, you might want to go to rural colombia and suggest that they copulate with donkey
wink.gif
a lot of these places have a system of pretending that everybody is very virginal - most unmarried young people (in their 20's) in colombia live with their parents, but they figure out where to go for privacy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads