Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luxire, Jun 20, 2012.

1. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

2. clapeyron

clapeyron Senior member

from what I experienced in the us of a, dallas in my case, people who line dry are considered to be to poor to own a dryer... they tumbled blouses and shirts.

the only thing I put in the dryer are bed sheets and towels. not only does it save energy to line dry but it also preserves the clothes. guess where all that dryer lint comes from...

3. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

^Yes not really the done thing here either. Electricity is expensive in Australia and only getting higher and I pretty much stick to towels and sheets too, in summer I don't really use it at all (have a big backyard which does it for free). I'll do socks and undies in winter in the dryer (now) only because they take 3 days to dry inside.

4. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

I throw my underwear in as well, but that's it; my shirts have never seen the inside of a tumble dryer.

5. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

Never tumble dry shirts, or any other garment that you care about for that matter.

6. Macs

Macs Senior member

I owned a tumble dryer in the past...
    Never used it so when we moved we decided not to buy it.

7. Ironballs

Ironballs Senior member

Tumble drying damages clothing. Heat and friction aren't good for them.

To dry a wet shirt, put it on a hanger and wait for a couple of hours. It's as simple as that.

To digress, placed an order the 2nd and got a shipping confirmation just now. Wonderful!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014

8. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

This!

Tumble drying is good if you hate your shirts and want to kill them.

9. p.henrik

p.henrik Senior member

Is that more of a casual ocbd or a dressy Oxford you can wear with spread collar and worsted suit?

10. ammanati

ammanati Senior member

I'd say it is much more casual. You can probably wear it with grenadine and a sport coat but imo definitely not with worsted wool suit. I got some shots with me wearing it with a tie. I can post if you like

11. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

This. I guess you could get it with a spread collar, but that's not really ideal for this fabric. I have it in an OCBD and I've worn ties with it and a SC or blazer many times, but never with a suit

12. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

I follow the care instructions given by the manufacturer on my shirts. My TM Lewin shirts say to hand dry so I hang them to dry. My Brooks Brothers shirts say tumble dry low so I tumble dry low. I trust, maybe naively, that they know best about how their garments should be cared for. Following this procedure, I have had very little shrinkage. The care instructions on most of the shirts on Luxire's website says to wash in cold water and tumble dry. They also say that their fabrics are prewashed to prevent further shrinking. Based on this, everyone should be able to wash and dry shirts without shrinkage. Maybe the dryer will degrade the quality of your shirt, but it shouldn't change the size of it.

Also, I live in a one bedroom apartment. I don't have a backyard to hang clothes up and I can't install and washer and dryer. I use a coin operated machine in my basement so drying my clothes cost like $2.50. If possible I prefer to use the dryer because it's quicker, but worst case I can hang dry in the bathroom.

Following my shirt shrinking in the dryer, I emailed Luxire. They said I can request that the fabric for my shirt be washed in hot water and tumble dried to prevent further shrinking. I will in the future, but I just thought that was already happening.

13. prozach1576

prozach1576 Senior member

I am a horrible person and machine wash and tumble dry all of my dress shirts on a regular basis (also an apartment dweller with coin-op laundry) and it hasn't really seemed to harm them.

Hell today I am wearing my Sky Blue Summer 1.0 Luxire shirt that I've had for nearly two years - a fabric that to me has always felt pretty cheap and likely to not hold up in the long run - and it's still going strong.

14. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Senior member

But the shirts get so stiff and uncomfortable even though I use more fabric softener than I should.

15. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Sounds like you're using too much soap/fabric softener.