Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luxire, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

If it's too tight in the armholes, just increase that measurement on your next shirt. There's nothing much you can do about a shirt that's already too tight, you can't really let it out the same way you would let out a jacket or a pair of pants. You can send this one back to Luxire for a remake, you'll just have to pay shipping both ways.

2. terra firma

terra firma Senior member

Did everything else match the proper cloth measurements exactly? Curious about this.

3. althanis

althanis Senior member

Are you guys suggesting GUP get a MTM from another company so that he can send that shirt into his new MTM company?

This strikes me as rather odd. The whole point about Luxire is that it's MTM.

Why not measure your current shirt, decide what you want adjusted, pick Luxire's cheapest fabric and go with that? It'll also help because the measurements and process will be from the same company - there's no guarantee that measurements/construction techniques will translate well from one company to another.

4. GuP

GuP Senior member

That is also an option. I think the gist of the recommendation was that I go somewhere "in person", whether that be MTM or bespoke, and have a shirt made to use as a reference. I do see your point and may just opt for that as it is the easiest. Thinking of sending in the shirt worn above and asking for the recommended tweaks...

5. DarkDestiny

DarkDestiny Senior member

Luxire's cheapest shirt is $60 I think. If your bespoke/ MTM tailor charges $150, it'd be cheaper to go with Luxire too if you can nail your fit in two shirts.

6. GuP

GuP Senior member

Agreed. However, I'm not sure if I can nail in two fits as the reference I am starting with appears to need significant adjustments. Furthermore, I'm not sure which way to adjust what exactly to nail the fit.

7. submatrix

submatrix Well-Known Member

Glad to see some fit questions being discussed, as I'm in the same boat wondering how to lock down those measurements so that I can get that perfect shirt from Luxire as early on as possible.

Side question though, do adjustments need to be made for different materials which may drape/wrinkle differently? Say for example my "perfectly fitting" shirt that I sent in for duplication is an oxford, but I plan to order primarily linen (not out of the realm of possibility, as I live in sunny/warm all year round Southern California). In this case, would a linen shirt fit/look the same, or would I want to account for differences in the way the cloth reacts once it is being worn?

8. GrensonMan

GrensonMan Senior member

I have noticed that my linen shirts lay differently than my cotton shirts. For instance, the chest measurement is the same but lies more loose with the linen shirt. However, I wouldn't tweak the measurement too much. In my opinion, linen should be worn with a more relaxed fit than cotton and I think you will achieve that by simply leaving the measurements the same.

9. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Worked that way for me too.

10. GuP

GuP Senior member

Do you guys specify the exact tweaks in measurements to Luxire?

For example, if I send in the above shirt, I would want to increase the forearm width, decrease the armhole size and/or get a NOBD collar. Would I have to specify how many inches/cm for each? I suppose I can guess the forearm width asking for an inch wider, but the others would be more difficult to objectify.

11. DarkDestiny

Send to Theresa for suggestions. She should specify how much you should try.

Also, in terms of what Theresa has told me before regarding Fabric and drape. She said that flannel behaves differently from Cotton while Linen and cotton are comparable enough.

12. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

So my noragi arrived today. I don't have time to put up any decent pictures, but I will try and get a few, with fit pics, by early next week. Initial impressions weren't that great. Everything just felt weird about it. I immediately put it in the washer, then I ironed it (some what) and now it feels much, much better. It was stiff and crinkly in the weird way from shipping, so laundering it quick fixed those issues. Sits much better now.

For the actual garment, its actually really good. Not sure if it's better than I was expecting, but its great non the less. Sizing this seemed to be the biggest problem. I based all of the measurements of my best fitting shirt, and it came out a little less than perfect. The chest is way, way tighter feeling than the shirt I measured, and the hip measurement, quite a bit looser. The sleeves are also kind of off. Most of these problems are all on my end, but some of it, I think is luxire's. It was made without any yoke, (and I asked for a 4" split yoke to be used), so this means there are no seams on the back of the garment at all, and there is no seam running from the collar/neck to the shoulder. This makes it a bit more restrictive than I think it would be otherwise. The shoulders feel tight, and the collar doesn't always sit flush on the neck like it normally would. This is my main complaint.

Thoughts for someone (@Monkeyface ) looking to make such a shirt in the future: I asked for a drop shoulder, and it doens't really drop all that much, if that makes sense. The shoulder measurement isn't enough, so if you want this, make sure you're specific; luxire will have a hard time guessing what you need, as they did with mine (not mad about it, it was a lot to ask of them). Also, I used to armhole measurement from a regular shirt on semi drop shoulder noragi, and its too big. Keep that in mind. In regards to the cuff, I got a normal shirt cuff, which I almost immidiately regretted once the shirt arrived. Would go with a single hidden button at the bottom, or something of that nature, if I was doing it again. Lastly, if you don't want to have a yoke, be aware that it is going to give you way less freedom than you are normally used to in a shirt, so size accordingly. Not a pro or a con, just is what it is.

I've only worn this for about an hour, so I can't make any major claims just yet. Not totally sure about asking for a remake, as It seems to have turned out alright, just different than what I expected/wanted.

One last note. It seems like I had a lot of bad to say about it, but its actually a nice shirt, and im just being critical on here, because, well, thats one of the reasons we choose luxire. We want more than simple MTM. Overall, I think luxire made a few mistakes (mostly in the form of missing the yoke, which changed the shirt fit a lot), but lots of the things I would change in the future are totally, 100% on me, as I specifically asked for them. The actual construction quality on the shirt is amazing. No qualms there at all. Very well done. And the fabric, although a touch shiny, is really nice too. Feels great and is a nice weight.

Overall, i'm happy, considering it is a first shirt (and a very experimental one at that).

Luxire's pictures can be found here for the time being. The material used is the dark indigo chambray.

13. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

You know, this is a really good point. I see a lot of people here posting photos of the item straight out of the box, with several thousand miles' worth of creases and compression on them, and it kind of makes me cringe. These things need to be at least steamed/pressed and (if appropriate for garment type) washed before we can judge them. We'll get better, more accurate feedback, and we do a better service to the people who make these things, when we give the garments a little care first.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  14. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Thank you for your comments! I was thinking of getting one in the navy brembana chambray, but I'll think about it some more.

15. DarkDestiny

Nakedsnake: Can you comment on how the measurements work since the Noragi doesn't fully close like a shirt does? How did you size it compared to the shirt, and what suggestions do you have on making it better? I'm thinking about getting one too but confused.