• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any plans to restock the duck canvas?

It looks like they still have duck canvas on the website. I'm still hoping they add more colors, but the original ones (chocolate, military green, etc) are atill available.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

All Tatters

Reaction score
Blue University Stripes Oxford by Brembana, probably <link>. I've got it as well (no pics, I tried to get a more slim fit than sugarbutch but I didn't quite nail it)

edit: for all the sheen-haters out there, the fabric linked above does have a slight sheen that hasn't completely gone away after 5+ washes.

Last edited:

jaidog

Reaction score

I think the two photos above provide perfect illustration for my question: Is there a collar style which looks as good with a suit/tie as it does without a suit/tie? I think the collar above looks fantastic with a tie and suit, but not so great without.

It almost seems like a collar with longer points and higher band heights is better for a suit/tie while one with shorter points and lower band heights works better unbuttoned without a suit. Wondering if there is a collar which would work well for both situations. Or, am I asking for too much?

jaidog

Reaction score
You could try the same spread with a hidden BD

Even with a hidden BD, it seems like it would look like a HUGE collar without a suit/tie.
I'm beginning to wonder if a suit/tie just requires larger collars for both proper scale and
to allow the points to be covered by the jacket. Curious what others think.

Suit of Nettles

Reaction score
You could try hidden BD, yeah, though I fail to see what's wrong with a standard OCBD (since sugarbutch's shirt is indeed Oxford cloth) and a suit, provided the cloth and colour are appropriate; that's the obvious, only slightest sickish answer, to my mind. Something about hidden BD collars has always left me somewhere between disappointed and profoundly annoyed. Why be ashamed of the buttons?

Last edited:

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Even with a hidden BD, it seems like it would look like a HUGE collar without a suit/tie.
I'm beginning to wonder if a suit/tie just requires larger collars for both proper scale and
to allow the points to be covered by the jacket.  Curious what others think.

Fair point, I have a 1738 collar but I find that luxire second button is WAY too low for MY tastes so I had them I think move it up about an inch or so and it cleaned up how the collar looks.

I believe Luxire's standard wide spread looks good without a tie as well

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could try hidden BD, yeah, though I fail to see what's wrong with a standard OCBD (since sugarbutch's shirt is indeed Oxford cloth) and a suit, provided the cloth and colour are appropriate; that's the obvious, only slightest sickish answer, to my mind. Something about hidden BD collars has always left me somewhere between disappointed and profoundly annoyed. Why be ashamed of the buttons?

I'm going to replicate a Kamakura BD collar, but with hidden buttons. There are some working environments were ties cannot be worn 90% of the time, but button down collars are looked down upon as well. A hidden button down collar would be the perfect solution for such a conundrum.

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The collar tucks nicely under a jacket. I threw on a tie as well for those wondering how it looks with a four-in-hand.

You mentioned that you have a long neck. How do you think the collar would look on someone with a short/average neck?

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have different collars for different shirts that serve their own purposes. I have cutaway collars that I wear with a suit and tie, and I have BD collars that I wear either without a tie or with a SC and tie. All my button-down shirts have one or the other.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads