Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luxire, Jun 20, 2012.

1. MacGuffen

MacGuffen Senior member

I haven't seen anyone post the Monti 140/2 before, so here goes. Collar is a simple Luxire English spread with 1.75" neck-band and 0.25" longer tips. I have a long neck, so I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mattcritchlow

mattcritchlow Well-Known Member

@MacGuffen that looks great. Very curious to hear how you like the fabric. I'm after a new white dress shirt as well, and had that fabric on my short list.

3. Fouracle

Fouracle Member

Ordered a shirt and a trouser totaling about $200 after including shipping cost on April 5, received on April 27. The quality of the items are great. However, I received a bill from FedEx to pay duties about $19 in total. I was under the impression that the increased shipping costs are supposed to cover any duties that we have to pay? I live in Canada btw.

4. MacGuffen

MacGuffen Senior member

I haven't had much time to wear it yet, but at first glance I couldn't see why it would be worth it over a cheaper poplin. Then I compared it to my 100/2 blue poplin, and I could actually feel the difference.

The Monti is smoother to the touch where the blue poplin feels somewhat coarser in comparison, obviously because of the different thread count. Is it worth $20 extra? I'd say yes, especially if you plan to use it as your go-to dress shirt, like I will.

It is slightly see-through, so some kind of twill weave would be better if this bothers you. Actually, I take that back, it's not as see-through as I first thought.

There was a great post a month or two ago about the difference between Alumo and Monti from someone with experience with the fabrics. I remember the guy recommended Alumo at 120/2 and Monti at 140/2 and above, might be worth checking out.

Lustrous fine white also springs to mind, but it seems the community is pretty split regarding it. Some think it's great, others believe it wrinkles too much. I have no experience with it myself.

Last edited: May 7, 2014

5. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

I am curious about the answer to this as I was interested in buying from Luxire due to the "all inclusive" price for Canadians. I wonder if the duties were covered as they say on the website but you possibly still were hit with import charges from FedEx along with taxes on the items. If so the statement on the Luxire site is quite misleading.

Maybe Proper Cloth is a better bet as they have a similar claim but only charge $15 for shipping. Might be worth paying the premium on the shirts to avoid the additional charges.

6. ErikJN

ErikJN Senior member

I suggest you confer with Luxire directly and post the outcome. I'm sure they'll sort it out, as the webpage clearly states they'll cover duties for Canada.

7. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

I"m from Toronto and didn't get hit with a fee but my shirt was $90.

8. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Senior member

Those back pockets look really small, imo. Are they standard pockets or do they adjust for the rest of the size of the jeans?

9. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

How do you like this fabric? I was thinking about getting it

10. Thrifter

Thrifter Senior member

Gulp. That's distressing. I have a pending $1k order that was placed around that time.

11. Christopher Essex

Christopher Essex Senior member

It's possible that the fee may cover duties (@17%) and the FedEx brokerage fee ($10) but may not include taxes (GST/PST or HST).

My last shipment was for 5 pairs of trousers, delivered in early April and I was hit a few weeks later with a bill from FedEx for $27 and change.

Edit: I did NOT pay the $25 flat shipping fee for the order above. C.

12. Xtra

Xtra Senior member

Hmm, I would say that the 13 oz raw indigo has a quite distinct shade of blue. The pictures you posted look more similar to the 14 oz denim than the 13 oz raw imo.

13. CosmeDaniel

CosmeDaniel Senior member

If you have an account though FedEx's website, you can manage your incoming packages and electronically sign for them.

I'm never home to sign for packages myself so I do this ahead of time.

[​IMG]

14. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

I ordered the 13oz Raw (soaked). That is exactly what mine look like. Unless they made mistakes on both our orders... I doubt it. Maybe luxire can clarify.

15. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Believe Luxire uses a pen of some sort during the making of the shirts for markings. Sometimes it makes it onto the final produce

It comes out on the first wash with no issues.