1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luxire, Jun 20, 2012.

1. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Thanks, very helpful.

2. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Much much softer in my book. I honestly think the right cotton feels miles better than linen.

Pros for Seersucker:
    • Doesn't wrinkle as easy
    • More formal (but not formal)
    • Feels better on the skin
    • More breathable than any other cotton shirt you'll have, from what I can tell
    • When completely unfused, it doesn't even feel like you're wearing a shirt. Softer than linen.

Pros for Linen:
    • Dries in a heartbeat
    • More casual
    • More breathable than any cotton shirt you'll have, including seersucker

I'd honestly get more seersucker if @luxire got some. Maybe moss green stripes? Red? Navy? More ginghams in all those colors? I saw the green gingham but it's too light for me, I think. And the red stripe has the Ecru, which doesn't exactly bode well for me (I guess I'm picky). I'd ignore the rules about when to wear seersucker, if I knew them, and wear seersucker to work as often as I can if I had the choice. This blue stripe will be making more formal appearances, complete with possibly ties and linen SC's, on the hotter days.

This shirt is by far my favorite. As far as textured shirts go, this seersucker shirt takes the cake. Order it before it goes out.

As far as linen-cotton mixes, I might pick up some of the higher cotton counts for work later. No more 100% linen for me - I have four of which are pure linen and that's fine. I have one cotton/linen mix and it wrinkles when you even look at it. That's not actually a feature of linen/cotton, that's not what's supposed to happen. It's just really really thin.. but really really comfortable. It's definitely very soft.

If you HAVE to get linen and want to minimize the wrinkling, get higher cotton counts. They vary. Some are posted on the page.

Here's the mixes for the most part.. At least the good blue/whites.

All these are 60% Linen 40% Cotton... I think that's a pretty good mix. Most blue.
    http://luxire.com/products/mint-cream-cool-linen-cotton
    http://luxire.com/products/pale-blue-cool-linen-cotton
    http://luxire.com/products/sky-blue-cool-linen-cotton
    http://luxire.com/products/soft-cream-cool-linen-cotton

Here's 50/50.. I want.
    http://luxire.com/products/cream-linen-cotton

70% Linen/30% Cotton (Nice but leaning more towards casual again.. Could be worn nice without a tie maybe)
    http://luxire.com/products/off-white-linen-cotton
    http://luxire.com/products/cotton-linen-blue-chambray (hnnnnggggg)

I had this guy (http://luxire.com/products/cool-white-linen-cotton) but it's gone due to an unfortunate laundry mishap. It felt much much more linen than cotton. Quite casual. But still a great shirt.

And because no post is complete without a picture, here's an ode to my ridiculously wrinkly only linen/cotton mix that's no longer on Luxires site (blue/white pencil [fancy] stripe). If you look at it long enough, you can see it wrinkle before your eyes (excuse the terrible white balance).
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    6 people like this.
  3. hookem12387

hookem12387 Senior member

Solid seersucker in a few colors would be great. Solid khaki seersucker pants would be pretty killer in Texas summer

3 people like this.
  4. prozach1576

prozach1576 Senior member

Duck canvas wears somewhat cooler than its weight would suggest because it breathes fairly well. Combine this with the way it drapes compared to lighter chino cloth and you have a recipe for excellent casual pants.

5. MacGuffen

MacGuffen Senior member

Fantastic write-up, mrjester, thank you so much! I'll definately have a look at seersucker and those shirts you linked. The shirt in the picture doesn't look too bad to me, but then I'm used to wrinkles. :)

Am I right in understanding that linen/cotton blends usually wrinkle less than 100 % linen, but that your specific linen/cotton wrinkles alot? How do your 100 % linen fare with regard to wrinkling? I'm thinking pure linen is suitable only for casual wear anyway, so that wrinkling isn't a big deal?

1 person likes this.
  6. OlafG

OlafG Senior member

Did anyone send Epaulet Walt or Rudy's (36) in for replication? Did you find that the fit came out similar to your Epaulet pants?

7. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Correct. My particular linen/cotton is ridiculously thin. Feels like soft tracing paper. Comfortable and no little 'pilling' or whatever you may call it that Linen has (which I don't see it as a negative or a positive, just different). Cotton doesn't wrinkle as much as linen. Therefore, the more cotton to your linen, the less wrinkling. I believe certain mixes would be the best of both worlds, but I'm not sure how heavy a mix you need.

My linens are wrinkled as hell when the day is done. If I believe they're not exactly dirty, I just give them another iron and hang them back up. Good as new.

Linen is most definitely mostly casual. I'd wear it with a blazer and tie, but not always. Most of my linens are worn casually.

1 person likes this.
  8. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

You'll want to make sure that you tack onto the waist and hip measurements a bit. Especially for those of us with shoulders considerably wider than our waists (me), it is a pain in the ass to get a slim-fit popover over your shoulders. If I order more they will all have a slouchier fit and in equally casual/slouchy materials.

Long story short: Don't use the same measurements you'd use for a dress shirt.

9. Xtra

Xtra Senior member

Looks great, Luxire, which fabrics are those?

10. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

So true! My absolute favorite shirt. Breathable, comfortable and not too informal. Didn't think I could get all three in the same shirt, so I'm amazed. I'll have to order at least one more, maybe with another collar style. Yours look nice, is it the NOBD? Unlined or lightly lined?

+1

As mrjester said, seersucker is much softer than linen. As for wrinkling, seersucker is better. I wore my new micro houndstooth 100 % linen shirt at work today (had no external meetings scheduled, so I took the chance), and at the end of the day it was just a wrinkled mess. Compared it to the blue dress stripes seersucker which I wore yesterday. Even after 24 hours in the laundry bin, the seersucker had less wrinkles than the linen. I will not buy any more pure linen shirts.

Great explanation! Totally agree. I think we'll have to join (or found) TSAS - The Seersucker Appreciation Society :drool:
    As for other colors, I agree that moss green stripes would be awesome. Maybe some pale colors, both solids and stripes, and a solid white, as venividivicibj suggested.

I'm wondering what solid colored seersucker fabrics looks like compared to striped fabrics. Does the stripes help conceal the "rumpledness" of the texture, thus actually making the solid colored fabrics less formal than the striped ones? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

11. BicklesPickles

BicklesPickles Active Member

Those look like the Chocolate Brown and maybe Military Green duck canvas. I will say my chocolate brown is less saturated than this picture would indicate.

12. DarkDestiny

DarkDestiny Senior member

I'm really hoping that's just the light as it's way too bright to be military green to me.

13. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

I believe you're right, because these look just like the duck canvas pants I just received a few weeks ago, maybe Luxire took some pics before they shipped them? They're at the tailor right now gettin the hem fixed, but I'll
    Post some more photos once I get them back.

And to the person that asked about wearing these in hot, humid weather, I don't think these are as bad as you might think. They don't really feel any warmer than a standard 8oz cotton chino because the canvas has a nice open weave that makes them very breathable. I won't wear them on the hottest summer days, but I will wear them in any weather that would be appropriate for pretty much any other cotton chino.

This was one of my complaints about the military green, they came looking much more "Kermit the Frog" green than I was expecting. I thought they were going to be darker, I was actually looking for something of a closer match to Epaulet's moss green duck canvas rivet chino.

14. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

15. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Usually it's due to the back rise being too long. Shortening it, naturally puls up the back of the trousers and cleans it up somewhat. Doing it online you need to experiment though and do a little at a time.

1 person likes this.
  16. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Latest luxire order arrived, some thoughts or ramblings:

• Samples - Cotton linen: navy is a really nice colour dark colour. slightly darker than what's on the website but if you are in the market for dark blue this one would be worth considering. Large weave is quite noticeable though. I asked for indigo linen but its so much darker than whats on the website im inclined to think this might be dark indigo linen (its on par with the cotton linen navy) whatever this mystery material is the colour and quality is fantastic.
    • White Poplin plain weave - very thick material, ideally suited to autumn/winter wear. Wasn't expecting much from this tbh but overall nice material for $60. Despite the seasonal limitation prefer this to the lustrious fine white by a mile. After I sent in the order I asked to have the collar changed but it wasn't done instead the semi spread+lightly lined, lightly fused+longer collar points (original order) has worked out v.well. Collar sits up beautifully unbuttoned without a tie and the longer points now work well with a jacket.
    • Blue Chambray Linen - I was a little disappointed with this initially, so much plying on it from arrival. To some extent that's the given nature of linen but I've got other linen shirts I've had for a while that look less worn than this. Compared to the feel and look of the sample mentioned earlier this linen doesn't seem to be of the same quality. Still very light and summery and when im actually wearing the shirt - as opposed to having it in hand analysing the fabric - i'm a happy camper and will def get wear out of it

I was sceptical of asking for darting on the shirts but somehow its worked out quite well :) Might throw some pants in the mix next order.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  17. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Got an email from Theresa yesterday that my pants will be shipped next week + an apology for the order taking so long to process. By my standards 1 month really isn't that long time to wait for online MTM, especially at this price point. I hope the pants come out as great as my last order.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  18. CosmeDaniel

CosmeDaniel Senior member

I received no apology but was also informed that my order is currently in production and expected to ship out by the end of this week.

Considering how quickly my prior orders shipped, I think this round just averages out my wait time compared to other buyers.

19. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I received an apology as well, except I've been waiting for 2 months now, which means their trousers delivery times range from 2 weeks - 2 months for me, with an average time of 5 weeks.

20. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

^ditto got an apology last week.