1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luxire, Jun 20, 2012.

1. burghler

burghler Senior member

1 person likes this.
  2. althanis

althanis Senior member

It sounded to me as if the part where they somehow avoid duties by leveraging their NY operations is what's not feasible anymore.

In fact, it sounds like option 3 is exactly what's going on right now, where people will suddenly start to get bills for duties where they never before used to get them.

3. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

With the greatest possible respect to the India Post, I would absolutely NOT want them involved in any aspect of the shipping and would suggest that if any of you guys had experience of them, you wouldn't want them involved either. They're far too erratic IMO. So using national postal services as suggested by some upthread just to save a few bucks in duties is a false economy IMO.

I based my earlier comments upthread on prior experience where orders of just a couple of shirts or so tended to get through with no charges (UK delivery lcoation). I've only been charged fees for signficantly large orders. If that situation now changes due to some invoicing loophole being close, the flat fee proposal becomes significantly more attractive. If not, I'd opt to keep the current option if possible. Bit difficult to know for sure; will wait to see what happens with my next order and offer an opinion thereafter, I guess.

4 people like this.
  4. Turner

Turner Senior member

I can only speak from my point of view - I've got the packages via DHL and was never hit by customs. If so, "we" in Germany would have to pay VAT - 19 % but no customs if the goods are below 150 €. Our sweet spot are orders over $100 and below about $200, since these are free of shipping but are relativly safe to pass the border without VAT or customs at all. I like it that way.

5. terra firma

terra firma Senior member

6. luxire

luxire Senior member Affiliate Vendor

A quilted jacket made a few weeks ago. Missed posting these pics earlier.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  7. luxire

Nice to know about your Indian connection. Glad to make the kurta as desired, including the embroidery.

They are the ultimate in comfort clothing. The image you shared, made in linen will look nice. It will not look out of place either.

1 person likes this.
  8. Patrick R

Patrick R Senior member

I have two shirts made in this fabric. But they are distinctly different fabrics. The first one (which I am wearing today) is slightly thinner, slightly darker, and wrinkles as you would expect a thinner OCBD to wrinkle. The second is slightly thicker, slightly lighter in color, and acts almost as an iron-free shirt. So much so, I emailed Luxire to ask if I got a non-iron shirt by accident. It took four laundry cycles before the initial creases down the top line of the arms fell out. That was really weird.

Now that the second has been laundered an number of times, I like it quite a bit. The first I like as well, but if I could choose which I wold get on a repeat order, I'd pick the more recent version. My concern is that if I order again, I get another version of the fabric. This is one of the reasons earlier in the thread I made a point that I was interested in branded fabrics, if only for their greater likelihood of being consistent.

I will say that subject to the points above, I really like this shirt fabric - both versions.

9. johanm

johanm Senior member

I would definitely be interested in some of the kurta-style shirts. How should we go about specifying it on the order page?

10. luxire

The collar, the front placket, the side cut, the length can be specified with images. If pockets are desired on the side, that can be added to the notes too.

Kurtas usually have pockets on both sides at hip level. Can be very handy.

1 person likes this.
  11. johanm

johanm Senior member

Thanks. What kind of buttons are available for these? Thinking brown or grey buttons would look nice with a linen kurta.

12. terra firma

terra firma Senior member

Thanks for the feedback on the fabrics!

When you say that you would pick the most recent version, do you mean the version I posted there or is there something else? There are like half a dozen blue oxfords on there that I have to choose from. I'd really like something that's softer similar to the washed oxfords from J Crew.

13. Patrick R

Patrick R Senior member

I have ordered the version you posted there twice, a few months apart. The version that came last fall is different from the version that came this spring. I didn't pick two different versions, but their stock changes and identical orders may, at times, result in non-identical shirts.

Both shirts are winners, so no complaints, but I'm happier that the newer version is the one I like more. If it went the other way, I would probably feel different about the inconsistency.

14. luxire

We can get close to whatever you would like.

15. Spurious

Spurious Senior member

Maybe customers from the US change their sentiment if they now need to expect higher duties.

As I said, I am all in favor of doing it the new way.

16. NickInTO

NickInTO Senior member

It's so nice, and unfortunately rare, to have a business tell customers this. I'm currently waiting for my third shirt, and couldn't be happier!

17. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

I just want to thank Theresa for her great service, providing me with her recommendations. Hopefully I can get the trial shirt to fit properly on my first run!

As for the duty fee conundrum, I think the $20 flat fee would benefit buyers who had nailed down their size, which means they can buy more in bulk, whereas the first-time buyer would be paying a pretty hefty fee when ordering a shirt at a time, still tinkering with the measurements.

18. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

If the $20 duty on all orders regardless of size has to happen, it'd be unfortunate (for a $60 shirt you'd be looking at a 33% price increase) when initially nailing down one's fit, but there is very little chance IMO that any more than the first iteration of a particular item (shirt / pants) will be unwearable if that. If one is using Luxire for a fair amount of shirts (say a target of 10) and takes 3 attempts to get the right fit, then we're talking about an added $80 total or $8 per shirt. The value proposition is still excellent even if one has to place a few more bulk orders vs. impulse buying anything. If one is planning to order exclusively cheaper fabrics and order fewer total shirts (say 5), then I can see how it might alter people's perception, but I still don't see any competitive alternatives for an extra $15 per shirt that offer the same level of customization.

If Luxire's goal is getting repeat customers to order a significant number of shirts, perhaps including a tailoring credit of some sort to offset the shipping and duties for the first order or two might be an option.

19. Amcolex

Amcolex Member

That's the thing, its not just a few bucks. In Switzerland they sometimes hit us with CHF 30+ in fees on top of VAT. $40 in fees for a $60 shirt is painful. What's your experience with India Post? As long as they don't actually lose the package how bad can it be?

20. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

I think the opposite has been going on so far. GIven the costs of shipping, Luxire may actually lose money on single shirt orders in the hopes that a customer will eventually place a bulk order.

^This makes sense to me.

These seem like good suggestions. Although, while options can be good, they'd complicate things on their end and might lead to mistakes. I wonder also if Luxire was able to negotiate a really low rate from FedEx that would be increased if they started using another carrier too. And, unfortunately, Holdfast, is probably right about India Post's reliability.

I agree with this. I've considered all the known online sites and have tried a few. None have the combination features and prices Luxire has. Mytailor is very good, but whatever price they show online doesn't include shipping, customs and state tax (if you live in CA, which I do). A Mytailor shirt of quality comparable to Luxire's $60 ones would cost $100, not including $25-30 extra for shipping, customs and taxes.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014