1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luxire, Jun 20, 2012.

1. demizzle

demizzle Well-Known Member

I recently ordered a shirt from luxire and I'm looking for some advice on adjusting my measurement. The shirt fits decent in general, but there seems to be excess fabric behind my armpit and I'm not sure how to get rid of it. Would reducing armhole sizing help that?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. luxire

luxire Senior member Affiliate Vendor

We are working on a system to ship all items as duty paid to all customers in almost all countries. What you will pay for the product will be your final price and there will be no uncertainty about duties or delivery charges etc.

We will partially subsidize the cost of duties to you and only charge a flat fee.

In order to do that, we plan to charge a flat $20 on each order, irrespective of order size. This will be termed as shipping charges.
    This will partially cover our costs for such a service as $10 to $16 will be charges by Fedex / DHL as additional just for billing the duty to us.

If all goes well, we will roll this out in about 2 weeks.

Thought / Suggestions welcome.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    2 people like this.
  3. kayhill

kayhill Senior member

Is this an option? If not consider an opt in for this.

E.g. Australia, at the moment, do not charge duties on most types of items below $900 in value. Anyone from jurisdictions with no duties will be stung if it isn't an opt in.

1 person likes this.
  4. Spurious

Spurious Senior member

This is awesome.

I pay $30 to DHL as a flat fee for handling duty (Switzerland). This is great news and I would definitely welcome it.

5. luxire

luxire Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Let us continue the discussion on duties. At the same time:

Two New Products, Linen-Cotton Twill Pants

1. Chocolate Brown

2. Khaki

The discount code will work on these too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

The Khaki look great.

My brown linen trousers from Luxire came today. Seriously great stuff. I think I've found my pant-maker.

Putting aside Khaki and navy and brown - ideas for odd trousers? Was thinking a grey flannel, but am stumped for much else. Cheers in advance gents.

7. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Light grey birds eye.

8. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Thinking the same thing, hopefully the system will take that into consideration or its an automatic price hike for aussie users of Luxires service.

9. tycn

tycn New Member

I agree that an opt-in system for having duties paid at time of order would be strongly preferred. I've been very satisfied with Luxire so far but a $20 price increase greatly diminishes the value proposition for me, especially since my budget already restricts me to the cheaper fabrics.

10. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

For the people who have ordered from NY. Are there any taxes and duty fees?

Then again, either way, I'm eager to try out this MTM process :).

11. prozach1576

prozach1576 Senior member

Very tempted by that khaki linen-cotton, but I worry that 5-6oz is too light for pants and they'll end up feeling and looking weird. I have some Epaulet chinos in oxford cloth and while the weight is nice for summer, they can sometimes look girly because the fabric sticks to my skin instead of draping and keeping some shape like the same size pants in a heavier canvas will do.

12. prozach1576

prozach1576 Senior member

Perhaps for US customers offer free shipping with a slower service and have the FedEx second-day service be an upgrade. Watching my clothing go halfway around the planet in two days is cool but honestly it's superfluous.

13. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

I've never had any duty charges to the US for any of my orders, so a $20 charge for this effectively means I'm paying an extra $20 to subsidize the duty costs for other people in regions that have to pay duties. Not sure I'd be on board for this...

7 people like this.
  14. jd13jd13

jd13jd13 Senior member

I received a coat about two weeks ago a and wasn't charged duties. My friend has bought a few shirts and pants and wasn't charged duties either.

15. althanis

althanis Senior member

I haven't been charged duties on any of the 4 orders I've made so far, so I would prefer this to be opt-in also, as I'd rather not subsidize any else's duties issues either.

16. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I've also never gotten hit with duties coming into the US, so would lean more towards an opt-out system here. Also I've been doing a lot of single-shirt orders, so a $20 flat fee would be a rather steep price increase.

1 person likes this.
  17. cappedncollared

cappedncollared Well-Known Member

I think the duties initiative has the right intention (adding certainty to customers orders) but a 'one size fits all' approach won't be palatable for many.

The best implementation I have seen is from East Dane, a subsidiary of amazon.

East Dane gives the consumer the option to calculate and pay all duties at the online checkout as part of the single transaction. This adds certainty to the customer and presumably reduces any potential hold ups in customs.

I don't know if the system supporting the East Dane checkout is amazon proprietary, or if this platform is available off-the-shelf, but I think it would be worth exploring further.

Edit. - a company called DutyCalculator appears to offer this service through an API. (No affiliation).

18. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Same here. I always order dress shirts priced at $70 and no extra taxes. This new process you guys are thinking about does not really benefit North American customers. I can see how charging extra shipping on pants that are over $100 where Fed Ex would probably charge you duty? But other than higher priced items it doesn't really make sense.

I for one won't pay extra 15 or 20 bucks for a shirt.

19. PiCcolocV

PiCcolocV Senior member

Like others, I tend to only order 1-2 items at a time, and never had an issue with duties in the U.S. Hate to say it, but adding $20/order would basically make Luxire a non-option for me.

2 people like this.
  20. althanis

althanis Senior member

Also worth mentioning - with MTM stuff, people often buy one item at time, as they gradually tweak the fit to get it to where they want it to be. This would cost an extra $20 for each trial.

For example, only on my 4th shirt would I consider it to be perfect (the rest are pretty great). Adding a $20 charge regardless of the size of the order actually drastically increases the barrier to entry, because that would be an extra $80 for 4 orders, or in other words a whole extra shirt.

Was this a cost control measure, or a convenience measure? If the former, we'll just have to eat it (or not), if the second, many of us would like to opt out.

Over the long term, I have concerns about Luxire being able to provide the great service and customization options they offer at the current price levels. This is a really unique service that they offer.

3 people like this.