• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
Canadian here reporting a duty charge. I ordered a shirt and a pair of pants and received them a couple of weeks ago. Today I received a letter from FedEx with charges as follows:

Customs Duty: $3.56
Canada HST: $3.18
Advancement Fee: $10.00
HST on ADV/Ancillary Service Fees: $1.30
TOTAL: $18.04

These shipping companies sure have a lot of nerve to charge $10+tax fee on $7 of duty and taxes, but I suppose as a Canadian I should be used to it by now.

Luxire, it would be nice if you could offer Canadians a free shipping option that comes to us via Canada Post instead of a private shipping cartel.
I have ordered around 13 shirts and the only time I was assessed duties was when I ordered two at once (i.e. higher dollar value).

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I sent this pic to them by PM. They said

"The shirt in the image seems to have 3.5" points and 1.75" band height. The shave is similar to our Italian, except a little more tie space".

I order 3.5" points and 1.5" band height since I feel uncomfortable in a high band height.

Many thanks AJ - looks great.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I count about 6 different blue graph check patterns; is there a consensus favorite? Any personal favorites in this style?

How about blue gingham? It seems there are a few of those as well.

smoothmoose

Reaction score

I have no experience with Luxire in particular, but if maybe if you order the two items separately, they would have lower values on them, and perhaps they wouldn't get flagged by customs at all. I've had good luck with things that are under $100 in the past. When its over $100, it gets worse. But other than that, I completely agree with you, $10 fee on a $7 tax is absurd.
has nothing to do with the declared value which Luxire lowers. Has everything to do with FedEx and their $10 fee. You can circumvent this by getting a FedEx account.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
has nothing to do with the declared value which Luxire lowers. Has everything to do with FedEx and their $10 fee. You can circumvent this by getting a FedEx account.
The lower value passes through customs a lot easier. It isn't worth FedEx's time to collect taxes, duty and fees on lower cost items. If FedEx can only assess a certain number of packages in a day due to time constraints, they will not be choosing ones which have a lower value.

MattR

Reaction score

Let us know how the pale blue poplin wears - I found it very "delicate" for lack of a better word, absorbing stains easily, discoloration, etc., compared to my other luxire shirts. I actually contacted them about an alternative in that exact same color since I thought the color itself was perfect, just wasn't happy with the fabric.

Interesting. I haven't had this problem yet, and I wear my 2 pale blue poplins pretty frequently. I'll keep a look out. For those familiar with the highly-concentrated oxyclean method for set-in stains, it will be interesting to see how it affects this fabric.

That being said, it does wrinkle easily, but hey, it's light-weight poplin.

Just received my third Luxire order today.

- Lustrous Fine white

Would be interested to know how heavy you think the fabric is. I've been looking for a medium-weight white shirt and was looking between this and the white twill.

Luxire - sounds like some of us would be interested in some more info on the italian collar. Care to spill the beans? I didn't see it, either as an option.

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What fabric is that gingham?

Just checked my email. It says "deep red gingham". Pretty sure it was the house brand because I don't remember going for the Monti. I'm very happy.

burnso

Reaction score
Re. Lustrous Fine white...

Would be interested to know how heavy you think the fabric is. I've been looking for a medium-weight white shirt and was looking between this and the white twill.
I would say it is a medium.
Not see-through, but it is quite light, no visible weave such as a herringbone, hard-ish to iron, looks like it'll wrinkle easily. That said, I haven't worn it properly yet, I think the material is very nice (and a perfect 'formal/ dressy white'), its very soft, and I dont exactly have experience with all ranges of thickness ;)
This was recommended as a very standard, mid-weight, plain, mid-white shade... and Im very happy with it. Also glad I went unfused collar.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I completely agree with you, $10 fee on a $7 tax is absurd.

You Canadians have it easy. I just got hit with about $40 in fees to a European carrier for receiving a package from Singapore, even if the package itself didn't qualify for any taxes of duties at all. Apparently, this is the fee they always charge for their so called service of "looking at the package to determine if it qualifies for taxes and duties".

Now THAT'S absurd.
censored.gif

Last edited:

Amontilado

Reaction score
A trivial question.
Do you measure biceps from the seam straight to the top

Or kind of diagonal.

My bicep width turned out somehow funny.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads