1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luxire, Jun 20, 2012.

1. bbob2013

bbob2013 Senior member

Sent via NJ, out 11/20 back 12/24. I'm in the US if that matters to you.

2. prozach1576

prozach1576 Senior member

If I were in the shoe test runs I'd probably go with suede because it seems to me that there is more room for error. Calfskin is unforgiving.

3. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Interesting...well I have no idea what went into their selection process, but I think they said they will do another run with a few more people right after the first run. They quoted 2-3 months on this first run and then another run after that. I'm interested to see who else got in on this first run and what they're getting.

4. Beatlegeuse

I've had a lot of suede and I've never found it to be significantly more forgiving than calf...maybe unlined suede will have a little bit more of a stretch, but lined suede usually felt similar to calf as far as stretching is concerned. Suede does usually have an easier break-in period though. Luxire also said they will remake the shoes if they don't fit.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  5. prozach1576

Agreed on fit, but I was thinking more in terms of workmanship. No disrespect to Luxire, but launching an in-house handwelted shoes manufacturing operation is a seriously audacious undertaking.

6. GradSchooler

GradSchooler Senior member

I got into the first run but they aren't able to source the cherry calf and pin grain I'm looking for a the moment so they suggested I wait for the second round.

7. Beatlegeuse

Ahh, yes that makes sense. I agree, this is a huge leap and it seems much more difficult to make shoes than shirts or trousers. Luxire seems to be working on becoming a one-stop-shop for everything menswear, and they've done a good job at introducing new products fairly successfully thus far. If it works though and the shoes are a perfect bespoke fit, I will definitely be ordering additional pairs.

8. prozach1576

I've been reading Styleforum for eight years now (yikes) and they are by far the most fascinating company I have come across in my time here.

The rapid spin-up of new product lines with seemingly minimal prototyping, individualized and totally unconstrained pattern-making, the price point, mindboggling construction quality, the sheer amount of investment required to pull all of that off coupled with the difficulty at achieving any economies of scale when you're still in mid-four digit order numbers, etc.

It doesn't add up at all by normal menswear business logic. But it is amazing.

3 people like this.
  9. fridayfrenzy

fridayfrenzy Senior member

How long was the point?

10. emptym

emptym Senior member

Ya, I suggested to Ashish a while back that he write a book about growing the company.

11. DarkDestiny

DarkDestiny Senior member

For those that made it into the first round of shoe making, what's the measuring like?

12. Beatlegeuse

Trace an outline of both feet, measure the length and width of the foot tracing. Then using a tape measure take rounded measurements of the ball, instep, and heel of both feet.

13. scrolls

scrolls Senior member

Dammmmmmit guess I didn't get in. Doubt I was one of the first couple emails but I did send very detailed descriptions and pictures. Hopefully round #2...

14. hookem12387

hookem12387 Senior member

That would be really interesting

15. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

That's what I would have done too for exactly the reason you suggest, had I participated.

However, I applaud those who took the chance and went with calfskin; it's only by working with the material & getting feedback that Luxire's team will perfect their technique with it.

16. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Some fit pics, just for mrjester. People say this all the time, but really, the lighting is very poor, and the pictures really do not do it any justice. Like I said, I might take in the waist a bit, and fix the lapel buttonhole, shouldn't be terribly expensive to fix.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    3 people like this.
  17. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Definitely the waist. But other than that, it looks fantastic. Damn.

Did you request a boutonniere and not get one?

18. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

No, I got a notch lapel button hole, while peak lapel requires a buttonhole that's angled with the peak.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  19. dohare

dohare Senior member

after you take the waist in to get rid of the boxy-ness, that is a damn fine piece of clothing. woo.

20. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

I don't think the jacket looks overly boxy.
    Rather than reducing the waist of the jacket, I would go for less skinny trousers for a more proportional look.