1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luxire, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

I was never concerned with Luxire carrying name brand fabrics. Part of their appeal is top-notch construction at very reasonable prices. Too many high end name brand fabrics kinda ruins the price-value ratio a bit. I guess as long as the cheaper fabrics are still available then it really wouldn't matter to me what kind of high-end fabrics they stock. FWIW, all the less expensive fabrics I've bought have been just as good as any other name brand fabric I've seen, just IMHO.

1 person likes this.
  2. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

Probably no harm in carrying the names but I agree not really what their appeal is about as the above poster put well. I guess the only issue would be I can't imagine the bulk savings will be there on the named fabrics nor would they sell as much as the non-named fabrics so the prices aren't as good for consumers nor the profits as good for them. Clearly theres some happy customers who would be willing to pay the high price since Luxire has nailed their fit or met their customisation requests but whether that's profitable for them only Luxire could answer.

3. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

+1

I prefer the lesser known brands that are good and keeps luxire's value proposition intact.

4. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Well-Known Member

Are the Alumo fabrics out of stock? I remember multiple options available before

5. joewmoss

joewmoss Well-Known Member

A mix of the two would be fine as long as he lower priced options remain. My experience with their lower end fabrics has been very good frankly. Nothing has appeared to be cheap or flimsy. Quite the contrary in fact. Early on, my expectations were low in regards to the materials and generally the materials have been far better than I would have initially thought. This might also be due to the high degree of construction quality of garments. I've had many regrets about the numerious OTR purchases that were more expensive and required tailoring that in the end did not fully address the ill-fit.

6. althanis

althanis Well-Known Member

I agree, obtain as many higher-priced fabrics as people say they want, once the cheaper options remain.

7. fridayfrenzy

fridayfrenzy Well-Known Member

I suppose it depends on the way Luxire keeps their inventory. If they can secure higher end fabric and just order it as orders are made then there is no risk on luxires part.

I think it would be a mistake to use their assets to actually purchase higher end inventory to keep on hand. That cash would be much better used on other things.

8. lukejackson

lukejackson Well-Known Member

hey all,

Any suggestions for measurements on the 4-pocket shirt jacket? Obviously it won't fit like a shirt nor quite like a sports coat etc, so how should i measure and accommodate for that? Unfortunately, I have nothing comparable in my wardrobe to measure off. Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  9. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

The cheaper ones are a bit miss and hit, and a miss keeps the shirt in the closet, which is a shame for the work that has been put into them (and for your own financial damage, however small that damage might be :)). I am not interested in fancy fabrics, but more good quality basics (think Albini/Thomas Mason Silver Line) would be great, because you know you won't get something flimsy or lifeless. On the other hand, I don't know what that would mean for the prices. I don't mind paying $100-120 in stead of $60-70 for better fabrics, but I don´t think I´d pay more than $150. And sometimes it´s nice to ´gamble´ with the cheapest fabrics as well :).

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
    5 people like this.
  10. ashjini

ashjini Well-Known Member

11. zeBanker

zeBanker Well-Known Member

Regarding the cloths out of the choices I received as samples I can state that most of the "no-name" cloths have a good quality. Especially those higher dense cloths are really nice (140 or 200/2, or the flannels). In case of branding, out of the perspective of other branches I can only state that I almost every time prefer no-name over known brands in case of equal prices - as in this case almost every time quality is better for no-name brands. Thus: please keep the no-name cloths! But also please try to keep these from the same suppliers. I know it from other online MTMs that they switch suppliers for cloths without changing their names - leading to ordering the 'same' shirt, but getting a totally different cloth.

12. Tommi

Tommi Well-Known Member

I don't know who makes the Classic Grey Oxford fabric but based on the shirt that I got today I'm pretty sure the fabric is the same that Mercer & Sons uses in their OCBDs. Luxire, do you have more oxford fabrics from the same source?

13. johanm

johanm Well-Known Member

Exactly - it's important to preserve the value proposition. Would require some thinking, like figuring out the good values and building inventory of good designs that customers will want to buy, rather than stocking a full range of mostly mediocre designs. I just glanced at the Acorn website and saw the following 2 fabrics:

Grange 100/2 - GBP GBP 9.21/meter (~$45 for a 3m shirt length)

[​IMG]

Grasmere 160/2 - GBP 15.39/meter (~$75 for a 3m shirt length)

[​IMG]

Adding those prices to Luxire's base shirt price, and adding a overhead surcharge and ignoring any volume discount that might be available, I'd think they could offer the 100/2 Grange at $120 and the 160/2 Grasmere at $150, which is in both cases a great value and cheaper than any B&M bespoke place.

But why bother offering expensive fabrics when the current offerings are decent? Depends on who you're targeting. I have a closet full of Thomas Mason, Alumo, Acorn, etc. shirts bought from B&M bespoke tailors that have served me well for years. In order to consider shifting my wardrobe to a company like Luxire, I'd want to at least know that I'd have access to equivalent quality cloth. (Ditto if I was starting out and deciding between Luxire and a B&M bespoke)

3 people like this.
  14. Patrick R

Patrick R Well-Known Member

That would be good to know. So far both of my oxfords from Luxire have been underwhelming fabric.

15. luxire

luxire Well-Known Member

It is a small world Tommi. Do not have the answer to your question, but, the number of mills making good fabric are not a lot many though many do have the capability.

--------------------------

These discussions about "branded" fabrics have come up before.

We had tried introducing branded fabrics from Zegna, Sic-Tess, Scabal but was met with damp enthusiasm due to the price.

--------------------------
    Where there is a gap, we are glad to fill it as works best. Like we did for trouser fabrics and coatings.

For shirts, I like our model for now. Choices offered are excellent and are growing. There are a wide variety of opinions above, all of which we respect. If someone compares our collection with Acorn and finds it mediocre, then, he will never find our collection stellar. It is not the right comparison.

If there are issues with particular fabrics, do provide feedback. We are always more than eager to remove fabrics that are less than satisfactory. But, will "branded fabrics" solve the problem? I do not think so.

Our strength lies in our understanding of fabrics. We choose them with a lot of care and sell them only after feeling completely satisfied about them. Customer feedback has only strengthened that belief.

----------------------------------------------------
    We love your money......in your pocket.

Even though you want to, we will not make you spend more than what you need to for a comparable product. Take pride in the brand you have given so much love to. You will not regret it.

8 people like this.
  16. luxire

luxire Well-Known Member

For Spring 2014, we are looking at casual jackets in corduroy, denim and canvas with some leather accents.

Also looking at a good variety of baseball jackets.

Do start sharing your wishlist for the season. We will get started on making them come true.

1 person likes this.
  17. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

Sky blue gingham (no too small, not too big :)) linen!

1 person likes this.
  18. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

Just picked this up from FEDEX

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

^ very nice. Blue university stripes oxford?

Wish list for 2014 - restock the cotton/linen blue gingham that sold out before I dialed in my fit!

20. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

2014 wishlist....Luxire gets the new website up :)

2 people like this.