1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luxire, Jun 20, 2012.

1. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Awesome. I appreciate you sharing some of the positivity!

Luxire recently answered all my questions quickly. I'm with emptym, started to realize they were probably getting a bigger dent than I was.

2. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

+1. If they replicate my pants exactly, they will be getting a whole lot of business from me.

3. hookem12387

hookem12387 Senior member

Bixby, I hope you don't mind an unsolicited suggestion before your new order goes through: those pants are too tight and taper too much IMO. It makes you look a little carrot-like, especially with the pleat.

4 people like this.
  4. clapeyron

clapeyron Senior member

I think they look fantastic, the length is debatable but they work great in this outfit. The crease emphasizes the taper but I don't think they are carotty. I actually really dig this look, I might get myself a grey POW odd jacket. Or a sufficiently large scale POW suit.

I'd also like to mention that email correspondence and customer service is superb with Luxire, Theresa replies almost instantly and has been a pleasure to deal with.

1 person likes this.
  5. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

I think it depends on what style he is going for. If he's going for classic menswear, no bueno. If he's going for something else, he may have gotten it.

So, it'd have to be known what he was going for in order to make any kind of assessment. But first and foremost, he asked for that and he got it. Sounds like everybody wins, here.

6. moopband

moopband Well-Known Member

What would be five shirts that would be great for a work wardrobe if I split my time wearing suits as well as being able to wear the shirts without a tie? I currently have a blue graph check, pink graph check and red micro gingham and I am looking to round out my shirts with a few more now that I have the fit perfected.

7. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Get two blue shirts, solids. I love the summer blue chambray. Maybe one of those and the perfect Monday Oxford. Then maybe a blue stripe of your choice (University Stripe?), red stripe (I love burgundy stripes) and some white shirt that you like.

That's what I would do if I was limited to five. And I have most of those patterns.

8. fridayfrenzy

fridayfrenzy Senior member

-Blue university stripes - I am a fan of this one
    -a blue poplin - standard type blue dress shirt
    -Lustrous Fine White - standard white dress shirt

9. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

I've been really happy with the unstructured cotton twill jacket I posted a few weeks ago. So yesterday I bought some heavy linen for another one:
    [​IMG]
    This will be a very, very casual jacket, really almost like a sweater because the fabric is so open and soft.

Been looking for a good linen or hemp for years. About four years ago, I saw some upholstery fabric from Cisco that seemed perfect. Kept looking around, since it was pretty expensive and I was naturally hesitant to use upholstery fabric for clothing. But I've never found anything I've liked nearly as much. Finally bought some to try. Mine's the second from the top in the middle stack. The color should be very versatile. I'd call it taupe, but it may be closer to what Manton's called "donkey" if I understood him (something between brown and gray with a little green). Color's a little more true in this pic:
    [​IMG]
    They have lots of beautiful shades, weights, and weaves. And the company is really careful about environmental and social impact of their materials, a few more:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  10. luxire

luxire Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Excellent emptym!

Some of the best fabrics are made for upholstery. They are liberal in using different materials like linen, silk, cotton, rayon, polyester and their combinations. Experimenting comes easier to them.

We have a pale blue linen-silk fabric that would make a wonderful jacket. Not sure what occasion it can be fit into for men. I imagine it being made into a ladies suit. Better be for a woman who enjoys compliments.

One thing to be careful about is that they are not made for the skin. So fabric contents should be closely looked at.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    On a side note: Will be back soon guys. Working on bringing back the delivery timeline to ~3 weeks instead of the 4-5 weeks we have slipped into.

1 person likes this.
  11. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

Good point about about upholstery fabric not being intended to be used close to the skin. I'm guessing that's due to thickness, inflexibility, roughness, and chemicals added for fire/stain/etc. resistance. This place is organic and chemical free, at least most of their stuff is, and this is in particular. I let the owner know I was planning to use it for a sport coat. That blue linen/silk blend could work for a man, depending on the weave and shade. I used to have a double-breasted sport coat made of sky blue chambray. It was nice in the summer, but not very versatile. I only wore it with white or off-white pants, incl. jeans. Here's a pic of me in it a few years ago at a party at Self Edge: [​IMG] (LtR: Labelking, Pocketsquareguy, Kiya, Paul d'Orleans of vintage motorcycle fame, and me) Jefferyd more recently posted a gorgeous version he made for himself too.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  12. luxire

luxire Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Nice! The color certainly works.

Inspired to post a picture of the fabric. Will do that in a couple of days.

13. bixbydirect

bixbydirect Member

Thanks but I like carrots. :)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  14. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Interesting project, emptym. Looking forward to seeing the result.

1 person likes this.
  15. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Luxire charged my card for my pants a few days ago - I assume this means they are starting work on them?

16. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior member

If I am taking the measurements between two existing pants, is it better to measure myself from both and just fill in the form, or to send them both in??

17. topos

topos Senior member

I'm not clear on what you are asking. Are you talking about using two measurements from two different pairs of pants to come up with a set of measurements for a single pair? If so I'd be careful doing so. If for example you change the rise measurements, then assuming you want the same break in all your pants, the inseam/outseam would differ for different rise measurements. In particular I think you'd have to know more than I do about how these things affect one another to really get things right.

But maybe you're just asking about whether it's better to measure the pants yourself or send them in and have them replicated by letting them measure. And I suppose the answer lies in how comfortable you are accurately measuring pants. It stands to reason that letting them measure leads to less error, since it's one less person that is depended upon for accurate information. But of course you give up use of those pants for the duration of the order.

I haven't received my first pair of pants from Luxire just yet, but I felt comfortable enough measuring pants that I did it myself. I think their pictures do a good job clearly conveying what you are supposed to do. My feeling is that measuring pants is fairly straightforward, and certainly more straightforward than measuring a shirt or a jacket.

18. easy_golfing

I am actually talking about this. I want to take the thigh, knee and ankle from one pair of pants but everything else (waist, hips, rise) from another pair.

19. topos

topos Senior member

Well then I'd advise caution, but caution with optimism (provided the pants you are trying to Frankenstein are similar - eg. two pairs of wool dress pants, as opposed to a pair of wool dress pants and your favorite jeans or something). If you measure the thigh as they ask (I think it was 2" below the crotch seam), then depending on the pair of pants this part of the thigh may sit over different parts of your actual thigh. So if you have a reasonable grasp of what exactly you are measuring for, then it seems to me you can probably do a decent job figuring out the correct measurements. I'd try to err on the side of being a little too big than too small, since you can address the former problem with tailoring (and future orders) but not the latter.

Or you can just send them in.

20. easy_golfing

Think I'm going to send them in... They'll know better than I. I'm trying to mix a pair of wool pants and cotton pants. I'm getting a pair of cotton pants made with the legs of the cotton ones and the rise / waist of the wool ones.