• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

Proleet

Reaction score
Hello all, got a few questions about shirts.
Looking at getting one made to start replacing my off the rack ones. I'm after a thin, crisp, dry fabric in white. Could anyone make any suggestions? Something like this fabric from Saman Amel:
View attachment 1359143

Second, in terms of fit: I'm a thin, tall guy, and even the slimmest of cuts from TM Lewin, one of the 3 affordable English shirtmakers ends up billowing out in my mid and lower back.
While I don't want to get a skintight shirt, I don't want it to be rather trim in the waist and hips so I don't get any flaring out in those areas. Should I get my shirt in slim or super-slim from Luxire?
What would be fantastically helpful is if someone could post a picture of them in a super-slim and a slim shirt for comparison.

Thanks so much ahead of time.
The best approach is to take a really well fitting shirt (if you aren’t there yet consider getting one tailored) and send it in for them to replicate (and tweak off of that if needed).

norMD

Reaction score
Maybe brembana white twill also Google wollen hulls luxire shirt cloth guide. Ask them to pre-wash to avoid shrinkage.

Measure your best fitting shirt and adjust. If you are slim avoid back pleats and make it with darts. Dont decrease measurments too much on your first shirt. If it is slightly too big you can have it slimmed by a local alteration tailor. Expect 2-3 tries before it is "perfect" and enjoy the Journey as much as the goal.

poilu

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I live in a smaller city in England and there aren't any MTM or bespoke tailors around, as far as I know. Have considered having the first shirt made bespoke but not an option currently.
That Brembana twill looks good, should I be going for a fabric of lower weight if I want a shirt that's not stiff, shiny, and super formal.
These two cloths from Turnbull and Asser are exactly what I'm looking for (slightly too dear though).
shirt3.jpg

Proleet

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I live in a smaller city in England and there aren't any MTM or bespoke tailors around, as far as I know. Have considered having the first shirt made bespoke but not an option currently.
That Brembana twill looks good, should I be going for a fabric of lower weight if I want a shirt that's not stiff, shiny, and super formal.
These two cloths from Turnbull and Asser are exactly what I'm looking for (slightly too dear though).
View attachment 1359166
Don’t think you need a bespoke tailor to do some alterations on a shirt. A regular alterations tailor is fine. I also wouldn’t recommend picking an expensive fabric for your first shirt.

poilu

Reaction score
Got it, thanks.
How do I order swatches on their site?
Thanks all

norMD

Reaction score
Swatches can be added to an order.

boot_owl

Reaction score
Just took receipt of my Minnis Fawn Flannel Jacket. Still room to improve - lapels and quarters are totally off compared to the BnTailor style I requested, and it is too boxy. Previous fitting and the sample jacket I sent in pictured.

IMG_0838.JPG

IMG_0839.JPG
IMG_0844.JPG
IMG_0285.JPG
IMG_9678.JPG

aj805

Reaction score
I really like that fawn flannel suit. The details look great, and it generally looks very well fitting (though I can't see the back of neck clearly). By boxy, I assume you are referring mainly to the extended shoulder? It's difficult to see as the trousers look fuller cut--a picture from further out that showed full body including shoes would give a better idea of the overall balance.

norMD

Reaction score
Just took receipt of my Minnis Fawn Flannel Jacket. Still room to improve - lapels and quarters are totally off compared to the BnTailor style I requested, and it is too boxy. Previous fitting and the sample jacket I sent in pictured.

View attachment 1359633
View attachment 1359634View attachment 1359635View attachment 1359639View attachment 1359640

It is always interesting when ppl request other makers to create the BnTailor style. BnT easily has the best dressed mannequin, but few of us are built like mannequins and the end results are not always great. Still i think your suit looks good and would be very good with some alterations.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@boot_owl

Any particular reason you didn't go directly to BnT to commission a suit?

JoeBlack0

Reaction score

boot_owl

Reaction score
I really like that fawn flannel suit. The details look great, and it generally looks very well fitting (though I can't see the back of neck clearly). By boxy, I assume you are referring mainly to the extended shoulder? It's difficult to see as the trousers look fuller cut--a picture from further out that showed full body including shoes would give a better idea of the overall balance.
shoulder is fine, more a matter of chest, waist, and hips being cut a bit too large

It is always interesting when ppl request other makers to create the BnTailor style. BnT easily has the best dressed mannequin, but few of us are built like mannequins and the end results are not always great. Still i think your suit looks good and would be very good with some alterations.
thanks! I wasn’t quite looking for a carbon copy, but more similarity and lapel shape and quarters would have been nice.

@boot_owl

Any particular reason you didn't go directly to BnT to commission a suit?
practicality of travel, and I like working with luxire. Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t an indictment of their work - just sharing experience. I have a lot of clothes with luxire and intend to continue purchasing more

Always painfully to see bad outcomes when are expensive. Did the original suit sleeve fit better?
I think bad outcome is a bit of an exaggeration, rather just a demonstration that there is room to improve. Yes the original suit sleeve fit better.

JoeBlack0

Reaction score
shoulder is fine, more a matter of chest, waist, and hips being cut a bit too large

thanks! I wasn’t quite looking for a carbon copy, but more similarity and lapel shape and quarters would have been nice.

practicality of travel, and I like working with luxire. Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t an indictment of their work - just sharing experience. I have a lot of clothes with luxire and intend to continue purchasing more

I think bad outcome is a bit of an exaggeration, rather just a demonstration that there is room to improve. Yes the original suit sleeve fit better.
Well the original seems to fit better and the luxire suit has noticeable issues around the sleeves and neck plus the front panels are collapsing a little. I mean it’s not unwearable but it’s a rtw fit at most. I don’t know the instructions you gave them but keep us posted about what they tell you

Megakurth

Reaction score

I’ve always been intrigued by BNTailors mannequin photos and “the roll”, but it never seems to be as prevalent on photos of folks wearing the actual suits. Also, on the mannequins the single breasted tend to be unbuttoned.

That said, having gone through the process (and continuing to currently), Luxire suits tend to an ongoing, but well worth it process (my charcoal jacket that arrived over the summer had some issues and I assume I’ll have to send two of my other jackets back as well due to some collar issues that I can’t find anyone local willing to fix), but having 4 jackets + a tux, the fit and craftsmanship improves every time.

All of that said, there’s definitely room for improvement on your suit and I’m sure the Luxire team will fix it (though as most on this forum know, patience is virtue).

Daraven

Reaction score
So I am not the only one who has started the Luxire suit journey. Below some pictures of a trial jacket for an eventual suit. Still lots to fix (e.g. sleeves, too small chest/shoulders etc.) but eventually I am sure it will have paid off. All feedback is appreciated!

back.jpg
front_cropped.jpg

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.