STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luxire, Jun 20, 2012.

1. joacimbylehn

joacimbylehn Senior Member

That fabric looks lovely, I’ve been looking for a heavy hearty oxford similar to brooks brothers. I tried the war zone oxford fabric but I found it quite a lot thinner than expected. Still nice, just not nearly as heavy as indicated. Will give this alumo a closer look, what’s the weight?

2. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

Someone pm'd for pics of my pique shirt. Thought I'd share here too. Worn w/ pants in the heavy ecru linen. Probably my favorite pair of pants, including 6 pairs from Ambrosi: IMG_2190.jpg IMG_2195.jpg
    Pls excuse the creases. I had just taken the shirt and pants out of the laundry. They served me well on long flights between Australia and the US. I usually wouldn't wear BD points unbuttoned, but for this shirt I like it when going untucked. Or when I want to keep a bit cooler. I find that buttoned collar pts make the collar stay higher and closer to my neck, which can be helpful such as when air is blowing on you during a flight. And as I've posted before, buttonholes on pockets are ideal for keeping sunglasses from falling out of one's pocket. It's these little details that make custom so helpful.

3. joacimbylehn

joacimbylehn Senior Member

Looks great. Do you need any sort of lining in those trousers or are they heavy enough not to be see through?

4. emptym

^Thanks. Def no lining required, although I don't get any of my pants lined.

5. jandersson

jandersson Well-Known Member

6. emptym

The first one. I have a jacket in it too. And I want shorts. :embar:

I have a pair in the third linen too. Much lighter, as the numbers show. It's good too. But I don't love it nearly like the first ones.

7. amishsteve

amishsteve Active Member

OK - thanks SS for that input. I'll endeavor to try to find the Tailor thread. Had not known of that one.

8. amishsteve

amishsteve Active Member

Thank you SimonC. All good suggestions. Much appreciated. -as

9. hentaisan

hentaisan Senior Member

IME having a pattern drafted from your body measurements does not work. Best to get them to replicate an existing garment and go from there

10. luxire

luxire Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Except Minnis, no other mill sends us labels regularly. Some send sometimes on request but most don't.

11. luxire

luxire Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

In the absence of a perfectly fitting garment, body measurements are recommended. The process has got a lot better now.

12. knoodie

knoodie Member

Recently found out that Luxire is able to source most VBC fabrics even if they do not show in their current offering on their website.

I have a few suits from Suitsupply for which I now get new pants made. Shoudl they turn out fine, I will only buy the jacket from suitsupply and will get the pants made by Luxire.

13. Quesjac

Quesjac Senior Member

Bad idea, big vendors like SuSu will buy whole batches of cloth and Luxire won't necessarily be able to buy the same cloth. Even if they can, colours vary across batches of the same cloth.

If you are absolutely stuck (eg. old maker is out of business and it's an irreplaceable suit) I'd consider this kind of thing but it shouldn't be your general approach.

(Oh, and it means that your buttons, finishing style, threads, etc. won't match, if that kind of thing matters to you.)

14. Lukas L

Lukas L Member

What experience do people have with ordering jackets like blazers from @luxire ? It seems like you can get a nearly bespoke jacket with multiple fittings and details. But does anyone have experience with it? Also what kind of details are possible to have in regards to canvas, buttons, shoulder construction, pockets etc. Would love to hear what is possible and if it recommened.

15. aj805

aj805 Senior Member

Pretty much anything is possible. They will build what you want.

For the most part, barriers to what they can accomplish for you will have to do with the difficulties in communicating your specifics, and getting the fit right without in-person fittings. In particular, the shoulders and collar area are going to be the hardest to nail down.

Most of us with experience agree I think that the best approach to mitigate that is to find a jacket that fits you to your satisfaction in those areas, then send it to Luxire and ask them to replicate it exactly--deconstructing the garment if they will do so for best results. When specifying details, think through the entire garment and be very precise in order to remove any ambiguity: if you ask for a jacket to be longer, don't forget to include details about lengthening the lapels and re-positioning buttons and pockets, etc., if that's what you'll want; if the fabric is somewhat transparent, be sure to specify a light-colored lining.

Ask for their "trial fit service" -- they'll build you a test jacket and/or send you a basted version of the final for fitting, and work with you on any adjustments.

Depending on your desires and how easy you are to fit it can be a time-consuming process to get things right, perhaps several months until you receive the garment. For myself, it is worthwhile however for the quality and service that Luxire provides.