• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Luxire experts, do shirts ordered from the new site automatically include the better buttons (which used to be an "additional service")?
Thanks.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Luxire experts, do shirts ordered from the new site automatically include the better buttons (which used to be an "additional service")?
Thanks.
Yes, I can confirm that the 'new' buttons are the default. They really are a lot better than the old buttons IMO.

Bms259

Reaction score
Hi! I have been looking at creating my first MTM shirt. I’ve initially looked at Proper Cloth, but just came across Luxire, and like the price and fabric selection a lot.

I’m looking for a pretty simple OCBD. OCBD are a staple of my minimalist wardrobe. I wear one almost everyday, untucked with a pair of dark raw denim, and 1K Mile boots. Occasionally I wear a pair of chinos, and a blazer with the shirt tucked in. Once in a while, I wear a skinny tie.

I’ve been wearing JCrew Factory OCBDs, and more recently Taylor Stitch Jack Oxfords. My favorite thing about the Taylor Stich shirts are that they work really well tucked or untucked. But I’m looking to upgrade.

Any advice on ordering from Luxire? I know they can do a lot of customization, but I’m not sure what to ask for to a great OCBD.

I’m also unsure about the shoulder slope & arm hole measurements. I feel pretty good about all the other measurements (Proper Cloth was great in that regard).

Thanks for any advice you can give!

KC79

Reaction score
Hi! I have been looking at creating my first MTM shirt. I’ve initially looked at Proper Cloth, but just came across Luxire, and like the price and fabric selection a lot.

I’m looking for a pretty simple OCBD. OCBD are a staple of my minimalist wardrobe. I wear one almost everyday, untucked with a pair of dark raw denim, and 1K Mile boots. Occasionally I wear a pair of chinos, and a blazer with the shirt tucked in. Once in a while, I wear a skinny tie.

I’ve been wearing JCrew Factory OCBDs, and more recently Taylor Stitch Jack Oxfords. My favorite thing about the Taylor Stich shirts are that they work really well tucked or untucked. But I’m looking to upgrade.

Any advice on ordering from Luxire? I know they can do a lot of customization, but I’m not sure what to ask for to a great OCBD.

I’m also unsure about the shoulder slope & arm hole measurements. I feel pretty good about all the other measurements (Proper Cloth was great in that regard).

Thanks for any advice you can give!

The consensus over literally hundreds of pages in this thread is that you'll get the best results from sending in a well-fitting shirt and making very minimal adjustments, at least to begin with. This is a small outlay of cash (postage) and inconvenience (being without your shirt) which will well and truly pay off. Details for how to send in your shirt are on the luxire site. I'd personally suggest putting it inside a zip lock plastic bag (I think these are called freezer bags in the US?) and then putting it in the fedex/dhl satchel.

In term of fabrics people like to start with well-priced options like the classic blue oxford or the sky blue oxford, with the latter being a little lighter in weight from memory. For something a little less standard the air blue casual chambray is a winner (it's my most recent purchase from luxire). The blue university stripes oxford is also a perennial favourite (I have two).

People get pretty zealot-y about BD collars, but I've gotten a bunch of different styles from luxire and they all have their own charm. Luxire's standard button down collar is fine, and the broke and bespoke button down is nice too. You can ask for the latter as a 'custom' collar, but you don't need to do anything more than write 'broke and bespoke button-down collar' in the notes; they know which one it is.

I'll just reiterate again: don't take your own measurements. There's not too many "I can't wear this shirt" stories in this thread, but the ones that do exist are way too often coming from people that tried to measure themselves, or have a friend measure them. Just send a shirt in, way less drama.

The J

Reaction score
The consensus over literally hundreds of pages in this thread is that you'll get the best results from sending in a well-fitting shirt and making very minimal adjustments, at least to begin with. This is a small outlay of cash (postage) and inconvenience (being without your shirt) which will well and truly pay off. Details for how to send in your shirt are on the luxire site. I'd personally suggest putting it inside a zip lock plastic bag (I think these are called freezer bags in the US?) and then putting it in the fedex/dhl satchel.

In term of fabrics people like to start with well-priced options like the classic blue oxford or the sky blue oxford, with the latter being a little lighter in weight from memory. For something a little less standard the air blue casual chambray is a winner (it's my most recent purchase from luxire). The blue university stripes oxford is also a perennial favourite (I have two).

People get pretty zealot-y about BD collars, but I've gotten a bunch of different styles from luxire and they all have their own charm. Luxire's standard button down collar is fine, and the broke and bespoke button down is nice too. You can ask for the latter as a 'custom' collar, but you don't need to do anything more than write 'broke and bespoke button-down collar' in the notes; they know which one it is.

I'll just reiterate again: don't take your own measurements. There's not too many "I can't wear this shirt" stories in this thread, but the ones that do exist are way too often coming from people that tried to measure themselves, or have a friend measure them. Just send a shirt in, way less drama.

Just took measurements from my well fitting shirt and trousers and was thinking to place an order for a shirt and a pair of trousers. What say you, too much risk and hassle compared to sending it in? This is coming from where it is $45 USD per garment for me to send with their prepaid satchels, as I'm located in Australia.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just took measurements from my well fitting shirt and trousers and was thinking to place an order for a shirt and a pair of trousers. What say you, too much risk and hassle compared to sending it in? This is coming from where it is $45 USD per garment for me to send with their prepaid satchels, as I'm located in Australia.
You got some very good advice from @KC79 . Whether you want to take it is up to you. But asking essentially the same question again isn't going to change his answer. Measurements can't capture all of the aspects of the shirt or trouser pattern. For example, did your measurements describe the shape of the seat of the trousers? Or the shape of the armhole and sleevehead?

KC79

Reaction score

Hi The J,

I'm in Australia too mate, so I know your pain. If you're not in a rush you can just run with Australia Post and (maybe) save a little cash, but it does take longer and whilst Fedex and DHL pretty much never lose parcels, I'm not sure that Australia Post and India Post are as bullet proof!

As I said to Bms259, hand over heart, I'd pay the money to send it in (that's what I did to get started 5 years ago - it was more than $45 too). Shirts aren't too hard, but trousers are actually waaayyy tougher than you'd think. Again, much better to start with a pair that fit and just make some minor adjustments. My shirts have been fine since day one and I've just made small changes over the years, but if I was starting all over again I'd actually walk into the Sydney MTM place that does my jackets, pay $300 for a pair of MTM trousers and then send them to Luxire. You might not be keen to go that far, but the point still stands: it's really disappointing and annoying when your brand new, super fancy online menswear purchase rocks up at the door only to find the fit is awful! Sending something in for replication and not going crazy with changes pretty much knocks the chances of that down to 0%.

The J

Reaction score
Hi The J,

I'm in Australia too mate, so I know your pain. If you're not in a rush you can just run with Australia Post and (maybe) save a little cash, but it does take longer and whilst Fedex and DHL pretty much never lose parcels, I'm not sure that Australia Post and India Post are as bullet proof!

As I said to Bms259, hand over heart, I'd pay the money to send it in (that's what I did to get started 5 years ago - it was more than $45 too). Shirts aren't too hard, but trousers are actually waaayyy tougher than you'd think. Again, much better to start with a pair that fit and just make some minor adjustments. My shirts have been fine since day one and I've just made small changes over the years, but if I was starting all over again I'd actually walk into the Sydney MTM place that does my jackets, pay $300 for a pair of MTM trousers and then send them to Luxire. You might not be keen to go that far, but the point still stands: it's really disappointing and annoying when your brand new, super fancy online menswear purchase rocks up at the door only to find the fit is awful! Sending something in for replication and not going crazy with changes pretty much knocks the chances of that down to 0%.

Cheers mate, will definitely heed your advice! Better be safe than sorry would be better in this case. But if I do, I'll never do with AusPost.. just a piece of garbage, not worth the pennies saved. Thank you!

On a side note... does anyone know if Luxire carries/can source Cacciopoli cotton?

melbournites

Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone had success sending in a jacket sent in for replication. Shirts shoulders, milanese button holes, 3r2 buttoning, full canvas. Interested in a linen or linen/wool/silk option.

Has anyone had any success making a denim trouser? Is it best to send a good fitting trouser to replicate? Is there need to take into account shrinkage with wash. Which denim cloth to choose? Has anyone tried a gurkha style waist?

Bms259

Reaction score

Thanks. That's some good advice to chew on. I might have to rethink my plans, if the best way to get a good shirt from them is to send in a shirt. I really don't have a shirt that fits well. I thought I had a pretty good idea of the measurements based on a combination of the shirts I have, and some help from the Proper Cloth site. Guess I was overly optimistic.

One other question — what's the difference between the mtm.luxire and costume.luxire sites?

Thanks for the help!

The J

Reaction score
@Bms259 I think they're the same, mtm.luxire being their new website. I still prefer using the older one. I thought I read somewhere that they were gonna take it down to re-do the whole thing.

KC79

Reaction score
Thanks. That's some good advice to chew on. I might have to rethink my plans, if the best way to get a good shirt from them is to send in a shirt. I really don't have a shirt that fits well. I thought I had a pretty good idea of the measurements based on a combination of the shirts I have, and some help from the Proper Cloth site. Guess I was overly optimistic.

One other question — what's the difference between the mtm.luxire and costume.luxire sites?

Thanks for the help!

If you don't have a good shirt to send in, then yes, that changes things. If you decide to provide your own measurements then just make sure you start with a cheaper fabric and that you keep your expectations reasonable. It may well be fine, but best to think of it as a 'test'.

mtm.luxire was the long-anticipated new site, but it had some usability issues. I thought luxire posted a while back saying that they were pulling it down and reverting to custom.luxire for the foreseeable future, but my reading comprehension might have been a bit off! I've always used custom.luxire and it certainly has some issues, but it's never hindered the actual end-product: getting good quality clothes that you like to wear.

Bms259

Reaction score
If you don't have a good shirt to send in, then yes, that changes things. If you decide to provide your own measurements then just make sure you start with a cheaper fabric and that you keep your expectations reasonable. It may well be fine, but best to think of it as a 'test'.

mtm.luxire was the long-anticipated new site, but it had some usability issues. I thought luxire posted a while back saying that they were pulling it down and reverting to custom.luxire for the foreseeable future, but my reading comprehension might have been a bit off! I've always used custom.luxire and it certainly has some issues, but it's never hindered the actual end-product: getting good quality clothes that you like to wear.

Thanks. A lot to think about. I definitely want to get a nice OCBD that will fit better, and I'd love to eventually get a enough for a work week.

I noticed the MTM has at least one fabric that I couldn't find on the costume site. I also noticed that the MTM has more specific customization options to chose from, and a few extra measurements (shoulder slope, for one), but no note section. As a newbie, I'm not sure one would be better for me. I like the ability to see each of the customization options on the MTM site, because I don't really know what kind of specifications to add to the note sections to get a great OCBD.

Thanks for the help.

The J

Reaction score
Thanks. A lot to think about. I definitely want to get a nice OCBD that will fit better, and I'd love to eventually get a enough for a work week.

I noticed the MTM has at least one fabric that I couldn't find on the costume site. I also noticed that the MTM has more specific customization options to chose from, and a few extra measurements (shoulder slope, for one), but no note section. As a newbie, I'm not sure one would be better for me. I like the ability to see each of the customization options on the MTM site, because I don't really know what kind of specifications to add to the note sections to get a great OCBD.

Thanks for the help.

Sorry to bum in, but I think the best thing to do right now is to get a shirt made up for you, be it mtm or bespoke where the tailor/fitter can measure you up in person, which accounts for everything including your stance, shoulder drop etc etc. That way when you send it in, it will just be a copy of the perfect shirt and I think that is something worth spending.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics