• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

lbrig

Reaction score
Is there anyone with a Mercer collar who can post all the relevant measurement info for those who'd like to match it? That would be much appreciated.

burghler

Reaction score
Sorry for not posting earlier. Here are a couple quick (and crappy) pics of the Mercer collar. Don't mind the tie knot.

I'm pretty happy with it but will make a few modifications on my next order. I'll reduce the tie space, widen the spread, and lengthen the collar points slightly.

Here are my measurements from the Mercer collar: 3 7/16" collar points, 2" back collar height, 1 5/8 collar band height. I never measured the tie space or collar spread but they look to be about 1" and 2 1/2"??, respectively. On my next order, which hasn't been placed yet, I will reduce the tie space by about 1/4" and widen the button placement by 1/4" on each side. I hope this helps.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

White Polo shirt:

Is that mine? It looks like mine. I specified a large collar with a little bit of structure, long placket and short sleeves -- a bit of Sunspel Riviera meets Tom Ford, designed to work under a suit jacket. Kind of excited now!

GradSchooler

Reaction score

Is that mine? It looks like mine. I specified a large collar with a little bit of structure, long placket and short sleeves -- a bit of Sunspel Riviera meets Tom Ford, designed to work under a suit jacket. Kind of excited now!
Looks great. Love the collar

Looks great! Love the collar shape and the sartorial inspirations. How much did that run you? I do need some new polos... :sly:

chuckb

Reaction score
Chuck,
how thick would you say the copper chino fabric is? Is it ok for all year round chinos? Isn't it to thick for the summer? Considering London weather, they probably won't be to thick ;). Please write something more on the fabric itself. Thanks
It's certainly not a lightweight fabric, but not super thick either. It's roughly what I would expect from a chino fabric, weight-wise. I'd choose to wear something else (linen, probably) if I were planning on being outside for a long time on the hottest summer days where I live, but given what I know about london weather I think you're less likely to experience 100+ degree days with high humidity. I would wear them on very cold days (with long johns underneath) but again, I think the winters here (Minnesota) are substantially colder than most other places.
Anyways, I'm quite pleased with the pants, despite the time it took for them to be produced and the fact that they didn't arrive with suspender buttons as I requested.

ammanati

Reaction score
I was thinking about having something like this: http://instagram.com/p/XEOZ_CFM_L/

But as the ones in the photo are 17oz and copper chino from luxire is 250g than I don't think they're to thick. I'll have to consider this fabric than.
Please upload some photos wearing them.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks great! Love the collar shape and the sartorial inspirations. How much did that run you? I do need some new polos... :sly:

$69.99, son.

If I got the measurements right I'm going to do a long-sleeved version too and will be keen to see additional colour options.

chuckb

Reaction score
Luxire, if you let me know what measurements you want I'd be happy to measure the collar of the mercer buttondown shirt I have.

I was thinking about having something like this: http://instagram.com/p/XEOZ_CFM_L/

But as the ones in the photo are 17oz and copper chino from luxire is 250g than I don't think they're to thick. I'll have to consider this fabric than.
Please upload some photos wearing them.
The copper chino is a different color from the pants in that picture - maybe a bit darker and less yellow? As far as weight goes, 250g is much lighter than 17oz (17oz is 480g), so if you're after that maybe you'd be better off with something like the Khaki heavy twill or moleskin?
I'm getting the pants back from the alterations tailor on Saturday, so won't be able to post pictures until then.

emptym

Reaction score
I'm not sure why people are obsessed w/ Mercer collars. They work for some, but not for others. Each person needs to find what suits his/her physical features and preferences.

But fwiw, Here's Luxire's standard BD, which is perfect imo:

It happens to be unlined and unfused, but you can get a good collar roll w/ lined and/or fused collars.

And it happens to have 1/2" collar space and 3.25" long points. That looks good for my face, 15.5" neck, and four-in-hand knots. But imho the thing to do is to find the right configuration for you, not to duplicate a RTW brand.

Last edited:

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Luxire,

We are having a discussion over in the Oz members' thread re oxford cloths.

I was looking on your site, and I believe that those currently labelled "Royal" oxfords are actually "Pinpoint" oxfords.

They have the fine square weave rather than the diamond weave, and don't have the sheen of a Royal oxford.

I might be mistaken, though. I'm not 100% sure of the difference between each.

Royal (diamond)

Pinpoint (square)

Your "Royal" oxford

luxire

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Luxire,

We are having a discussion over in the Oz members' thread re oxford cloths.

I was looking on your site, and I believe that those currently labelled "Royal" oxfords are actually "Pinpoint" oxfords.

They have the fine square weave rather than the diamond weave, and don't have the sheen of a Royal oxford.

I might be mistaken, though. I'm not 100% sure of the difference between each.
Royal (diamond)

Pinpoint (square)

Your "Royal" oxford

In my understanding, Oxofrd is a standard consistent weave.

The difference in pinpoint and royal pertain to:

1. The count of the yarn used
2. The construction of the weave. The Royal oxford is tightly woven which gives it a sheen.
At times, if there is a difference in the count of the warp and weft yarns, the structure can appear different, like the diamond and square you mention. As far as I am aware, that is not a factor in calling it pinpoint or royal.

Will be glad to be corrected though.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In my understanding, Oxofrd is a standard consistent weave.

The difference in pinpoint and royal pertain to:

1. The count of the yarn used
2. The construction of the weave. The Royal oxford is tightly woven which gives it a sheen.
At times, if there is a difference in the count of the warp and weft yarns, the structure can appear different, like the diamond and square you mention. As far as I am aware, that is not a factor in calling it pinpoint or royal.

Will be glad to be corrected though.

I don't know that much about it either, I was just wondering. I have one of your Royal Oxfords (pink), and it certainly does not have the sheen of other Royal Oxfords I have seen (which is not a problem for me). This lead me to believe it might be pinpoint.

Perhaps someone will step in and definitively answer this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads