• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's another sizing factor here. Some of the boxes look
like they have the old EG logo, so it's possible that some
of the shoes are on the old wooden lasts.

About 6 years ago EG switched from using wooden lasts
to resin lasts. The found that their wooden lasts had shrunk
over the years. The new resin lasts seem to have more volume.

For me, I went from a size 10 UK/10.5 US on the old lasts
to a size 9.5 UK/10 US on the new resin lasts. Other people
have indicated the difference isn't sufficient for them to change
sizes.
True, and it’s what I was referencing with the serial numbers. Although I don’t believe the stuff about the lasts shrinking, even though they told me that. I think they were bringing themselves into line with other makers. I have a pair of 8.5F from the 90s and they are an identical size to my 8F from a couple of years ago, so the lasts were always small.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doubtful. They don’t if you buy from EG.
If these are indeed Brooks Brothers overstock, then they may include trees. All of the EGs that Brooks carried included trees, and I assume Brooks included trees when they liquidated their stock (unless they offloaded trees separately). I remember reading on SF BB sold EG for $200-300 during the warehouse sale?

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, really? So, my TTS is more like a 9UK narrow. Should I sign up in the list for 8.5UK then?
I think these will either be 888 or 202 lasted if they are in fact old Brooks Brothers stock. I'd think 9/9.5 would be your best bet...

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's another sizing factor here. Some of the boxes look
like they have the old EG logo, so it's possible that some
of the shoes are on the old wooden lasts.

About 6 years ago EG switched from using wooden lasts
to resin lasts. The found that their wooden lasts had shrunk
over the years. The new resin lasts seem to have more volume.

For me, I went from a size 10 UK/10.5 US on the old lasts
to a size 9.5 UK/10 US on the new resin lasts. Other people
have indicated the difference isn't sufficient for them to change
sizes.
Agreed, but a very slight change and probably only impacted you if you were right on the edge of sizes

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If these are indeed Brooks Brothers overstock, then they may include trees. All of the EGs that Brooks carried included trees, and I assume Brooks included trees when they liquidated their stock (unless they offloaded trees separately). I remember reading on SF BB sold EG for $200-300 during the warehouse sale?
Interesting. Is there an expectation from buyers that trees be included in the US? I’ve never bought a pair with trees included in the U.K., from any manufacturer.

GuidoTheKillerPimp

Reaction score

I believe BB liquidated their EG stock at 80% off.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Is there an expectation from buyers that trees be included in the US? I’ve never bought a pair with trees included in the U.K., from any manufacturer.
It's not such much of an expectation as it is a differentiator. Since dot com prices and retailers price is the same, trees serve as a value add for the US retailers

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Spoo -- Can't say I recall a flash sale (except maybe something you did on a non-Ebay website). What's the process, or is it self-evident?

If I can get my **** together in time, Im going to host it on the website, where you can just add to cart and check out yourselves a-la the Hertling sale. If I need to do it quick and dirty, its going to be here, raw, in this thread just like we used to do in 08.

Do we know if these pairs of EGs come with trees?

Every pair except 2 or 3 that I checked today comes with trees.

GuidoTheKillerPimp

Reaction score
Agreed, but a very slight change and probably only impacted you if you were right on the edge of sizes
I'm not sure about that. I'm considering ordering another
pair of Camdens from Steve at Gentleman's Footwear. I told him
that I have an old pair of Newmarkets in US size 10.5, and he
indicated that I should definitely size down to US size 10 for the
new pair.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And is there any qualitative difference in the EG made for BB vs. direct EG?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
no difference, BB EG is legit same EG, I mean BB EG were sold as EG and if I remember at the time maybe tiny slight premium

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And is there any qualitative difference in the EG made for BB vs. direct EG?
No difference at all.

I bought a pair of EGxBB Galways on ebay in pristine condition back in 2018. Seller bought it during the liquidation/warehouse sale and kept the trees, but at 50%+ off retail it was a very good deal. I sold it unworn and broke-even (was a shellaholic back in those days), but would buy again and keep the pair this time around

Last edited:

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about that. I'm considering ordering another
pair of Camdens from Steve at Gentleman's Footwear. I told him
that I have an old pair of Newmarkets in US size 10.5, and he
indicated that I should definitely size down to US size 10 for the
new pair.
Guess it's a YMMV kinda thing then. Have 70,xxx all the way up to 129,xxx and it's only a slight difference for me

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads