• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J o s h

Reaction score
Southdown coffee is in Huntington not that close to the store but there are plenty of places in oyster bay to get coffee. Check out billy Joel’s motorcycle museum too if you are into that.

Southdown has an Oyster Bay location too.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Happy Sunday aficionados!

LNWOT Despos Hand Made Bespoke 13oz Lesser Burgundy Stripe Herringbone Suit A1P
American bespoke at its best

Vintage US Army Ralph Edwards Made USA Goat Leather Flight Bomber G1 Jacket 44

RARE Vintage Schott Waxy Brown Leather G1 Flight Bomber Faux Shearling Coat NR
Awesome vintage flight jackets

#1 MENSWEAR Stutterheim of Sweden Olive Rubberized Hooded Storm Coat Jacket S NR
No Man favorite for good reason

#1 MENSWEAR Valstar Made in Italy Bonded Tweed Navy Donegal Caban Coat Jacket 50
So good.

LNWOT Private White VC England Navy Harris Tweed Lined Storm Twin Track Coat 3
Even better

Nigel Cabourn Made in England 100K Karrimor 2pc Sherpa Hoodie + Storm Coat 48 NR
50 dollar Cabourn!!

RARE Coldsmoke Cold Smoke MODERN LNWOT Black Hooded Rain Anorak Poncho Jacket L
I love this one.

#1 MENSWEAR Giorgio Armani Black Label Anthracite Vitello Leather Cafe Jacket 48
Small guys do not sleep on this

Boglioli Milano Made Italy Cotton Linen Espresso Steel Sharkskin MOP Jacket 52
$20 Boglioli!

MODERN Dellachiana Unstructured LNWOT Grey Brown Glen Plaid 2Vent Jacket 52 NR
Great fit on this one.

#1 MENSWEAR Gaiola Napoli Unstructured Blue Grey Houndstooth Tweed Jacket 52 NR
I want this.

LUXE Isaia Napoli 49% Silk Linen Base L Cream Twill Cigar Windowpane Jacket 52 R
Slammin Isaia for 50!

#1 MENSWEAR La Vera Sartoria Napoletana Napoli Cigar Brown Scratch Plaid Jacket
$36 La Vera?!

#1 MENSWEAR Belvest Unlined Unstructured Sapphire Cigar Knit Tweed Jacket 52 R
$23 Belvest?!

Dege Savile Row London Bespoke Made England Black Grosgrain Lpl Dinner Jacket
Vox Endorsed!

NWT Paul Stuart Made in Scotland 100% Cashmere Chestnut V-Neck Sweater S NR A1P
Perfect fall color, $11!!

LNWOT Hawick Knitwear Made in Scotland Indigo Violet Speckled Crewneck Sweater L
Gorgeous color, and also cheap

NWT Marol Bologna Cotton Linen Mocha White Blue Stripe Dress Shirt 15.75 NR A1P
You should try Marol, absolute awesome quality.

#1 MENSWEAR Portuguese Flannel Made in Portugal Denim Blue Brushed Shirt M NR
Another No Man favorite

#1 MENSWEAR Niche Made in Japan Petrol Pincord Corduroy Allover Paisley Shirt L
Killer Niche!

BIG GUYS Brooks Brothers Black Fleece USA Navy Red White Box Plaid Shirt BB 4 NR
one of several inexpensive BBBFs ending tonight

LOT x2 Eidos Napoli Solid White Navy Stretch Knit L/S Lupo Polo Jumper 52 NR WOW
Two Lupos!

NWT Thom Browne Made in Italy Slim Fit Solid White OCBD Button Down Shirt L NR
NWT TB still cheap!

#1 MENSWEAR Drakes Made in Italy 100% Linen Cigar Brown Solid Side Tab Pants 32
beautiful drakes pants

#1 MENSWEAR Blackhorse Lane Ateliers Made in England LNWOT Raw Selvedge Jeans 30
Blackhorse selvedge still cheap

LNWOT #1 MENSWEAR Rota Italy Flat Front Loro Piana Summertime Green Pants 52 #3
awesome color on these and only 50 bucks

NWOT #1 MENSWEAR Epaulet Made in USA Hertling Grey Micro Houndstooth Pants 40 NR
brand new and no bids WTF

TRADITIONAL Made in UK Green Orange Windowpane Cavalry Twill Country Pants 34 NR
Guaranteed at least 400 likes on Instagram

NWT Sartoria Formosa Hardy Minnis Salt Pepper Houndstooth Flannel Suit 52 54 A1P
did you all miss this? its one. hundred. and. fifty. dollars.

RECENT Aquascutum London Solid Navy Blue MODERN Coltraine Weller Suit 42 R NR
guys, 12 bucks.

RARE Vintage Hermes Paris Trident Silver Deco Aviation Letter Opener Desk Object
would go great with a Versace garbage can.

MODERN LBM 1911 Centurys Collection Made in Italy Cement Gauze Wool Scarf NR
this is a great scarf.

NIB Hestra Peccary Leather 100% Cashmere Lined Tan Natural Winter Gloves 8 A1P
only here because they would not fit me, absolutely would have instakopped.

RARE LNWOT Patek Phillipe Geneve Made in Italy Silk Le Papillion Birds Scarf NR
$56 patek phillipe!!

LNWOT Bullock & Jones Made in Scotland 100% Cashmere Pumpkin Orange Sweater M NR
forget your pumpkin latte, get a pumpkin bullock.

Brioni Italy Black Label Palatino Wool Linen Taupe Pinstripe Suit BIG GUYS 48 L
RECENT Brioni Made Italy Palatino 100% Linen Cream Solid 2pc Suit BIG GUYS 48 L
I know some big guys in a warm climate, right?

See you in the winners circle!

La Fin Du Monde

Reaction score
So I picked up two sportcoats from Spoo on the cheap as a learning exercise and neither worked out. I was hoping someone could give me some advice as to what I am doing wrong.

Here are the measurement from three jackets that fit me well:

They range from 20.5” to 21” for the waist
21 to 22.5” for Pit to Pit
28.5 to 30 for Length
18.5 to 19.5 for Shoulders

Below is what I picked up from Spoo:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/352455450046

Pit to pit 22.25"
Sleeves from shoulder seam 25.75"
Shoulder seams across 19"
Across Waist 20.75"
Length from bottom of collar 29.75"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ermenegild...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Pit to pit 21.75"
Sleeves from shoulder seam 26"
Shoulder seams across 18.5"
Across Waist 19.5"
Length from bottom of collar 30"

The Zenga fits me fine if I stand perfectly still. Once I move it becomes a disaster. The armholes are too low and the shoulders are stiff and almost padded so the body of the jacket pulls away from the torso once I move my arms. (I had my wife look at both jackets and she said they were constructed more like women’s garments than for a man.)

The other one has a similar issue shoulder construction issues.
I am wondering what I am doing wrong. Should I only look for Sport coats that are 18.5 and not larger? Is there something else I missed about the measurements that is affecting the fit?

Any insights?

Kamil1987

Reaction score
So I picked up two sportcoats from Spoo ...

Any insights?

In general, the jackets are the trickiest to blind-buy and that's part of the reason they sell so cheap - high risk/high gain ratio. I generally bid on the manufacturers that I at least stood next to - meaning I know what to expect. For example, most of Italian brands fit me 52R, but Caruso 50R - there's little chance that I would have known that without trying them on in shops/Marshalls/TJMaxx etc.
In the measurements I look mainly for sleeve lenght and total lenght. If they are 26"/30" +/- 0.5" I know I am in right ballpark.

So far I blind bought 4 jakcets out od which 2 fit phenomenal, one was too short, but that was my mistake not reading the label correctly, and one fit poorly, but I manager to re-sell it with nice markup ;)

Staxxx1

Reaction score
In general, the jackets are the trickiest to blind-buy and that's part of the reason they sell so cheap - high risk/high gain ratio. I generally bid on the manufacturers that I at least stood next to - meaning I know what to expect. For example, most of Italian brands fit me 52R, but Caruso 50R - there's little chance that I would have known that without trying them on in shops/Marshalls/TJMaxx etc.
In the measurements I look mainly for sleeve lenght and total lenght. If they are 26"/30" +/- 0.5" I know I am in right ballpark.

This is an interesting discussion as I am just about to dip my toes in these ponds. I am planning on bidding on some jackets and was only concentrating on the shoulder width and pit to pit measurement. I would like to know is it easy for an alteration tailor to change the pit to pit measurement? Usually I need an increase of 1". I expect the sleeve can be shortened without much trouble or am I wrong?

I do look at overall length also but only in relation to the bottom pockets. I almost always have to get jackets shortened for me.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As mentioned by Kamil, it's tricky and it will serve you well to get more familiar with particular houses cuts. But even then, there can be great variation within one maker's various models and fits, which also can change from year to year, or more frequently.

I think knowing the measurements of garments that fit you well is a great guide as a starting point. What is also key, is understanding the variations in the way different construction details (i.e.: high armholes/armscyes) can affect fit, and try to become "tuned" into what specifically in the jackets that fit you well, are contributing to the good fit.

Then, one must become familiar with what alterations are possible, and to what degree. This is a good resource from Put This On, and has links to other resources. I believe Simon Crompton of Permanent Style has written some pieces about alterations as well.

https://putthison.com/a-basic-guide-on-alterations/

jumpman1231

Reaction score
I’ve found the easiest thing is to find a jacket you have that fits you well. Then measure it for yourself in the same manner that these jackets are labeled. I’ve found this is a good guide. Then you’ll become familiar with what amount or variation is possible for you and your tailor. Then I always tell myself if it’s not gonna Work there’s always next week to win something else ha! I’ve yet to get a spoo jacket doing this that doesn’t work for me.

La Fin Du Monde

Reaction score
I’ve found the easiest thing is to find a jacket you have that fits you well. Then measure it for yourself in the same manner that these jackets are labeled. I’ve found this is a good guide. Then you’ll become familiar with what amount or variation is possible for you and your tailor. Then I always tell myself if it’s not gonna Work there’s always next week to win something else ha! I’ve yet to get a spoo jacket doing this that doesn’t work for me.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear in my original post. This is the method I have been using and have be unsuccessful with it, hence the post.

ReubenR

Reaction score
Following up Spoo's comment about low-priced BBBF shirts, there's this flannel check:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BIG-GUYS-B...ht-Blue-Plaid-Flannel-Shirt-BB-4/352460961882

I bought the same shirt from Brooks during their BBBF fire sale, and it's really a wonderful shirt. Light-weight for a flannel, which I've found to be more versatile, and wonderfully soft. The pattern is great too. It goes with just about anything, but particularly well with jeans and a barbour or under a corduroy jacket with khakis.

Staxxx1

Reaction score
Disappointed I lost out on the Eidos polos in my size (52)! Damn they do go up fast in the last few seconds.....

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads